Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Suburbs

Brisbane Suburbs

Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:03 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Suburbs

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Never seen motorways so full of stationary cars till I moved here ... pathetic!
Like OfficeWorks branded cars?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:42 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

But that will come from Petrie so it will still be a bit of a way. I think getting the bus to sandgate will still be quicker.
Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Hopefully, if Labor get in we will get our train line though (2016)
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

But didn't the OP mention good links to the Gold Coast which is he said he was looking south east of Brisbane??????

Love

Rudi
x
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:24 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oh come on, I know we see a lot of things differently but have you forgotten the M25 or the M1 Junction 9a down?
Only ever went to the M1 & M25 meet goin north in my normal day, and only ever further when working, so after midnight. But anyway, whether it be Nerang to Warrongary (don't affect me but hear it on the radio ALL the time) or Loganholme up to Brisbane, I've never been in so much traffic IF I go north! Changed from an auto at work to a bloody manual recently too, and 1st day with the car is Brissie CBD. Once I hit Loganholme I didn't get out of third! ...

Thankfully tho, I work mostly on the coast so it's a smoothish ride to Bundall for me ...

Originally Posted by Rudi
But didn't the OP mention good links to the Gold Coast which is he said he was looking south east of Brisbane??????

Love

Rudi
x
That's me!

South East of Beenleigh, and perfect location geographically if you ask me. 50 mins to Surfers (if you must), and if 2am then prob 30 mins to Brissie. Half the theme parks 20 mins away and Loganholme shopping centre 10 mins. Got every major retail outlet within 15 mins and 6 mins to the highway.

Same time can catch fish 50 metre's from my front door, feed cow's (if your thing) just past the fish, and if lucky will get 4 to 5 red belly blacks a year in me garden ...

(joking on the lucky)

Can't complain on that front ...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:42 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Hi Folks, first post so go easy on me

Toying with a move to Brisbane from Glasgow and no doubt like so many others I have a head full of questions. Since I have two young daughters (4 and 2) my main concern is obviously them.

Been looking at this site and various others and the Bayside area keeps coming up. Looking for a quiet area with lots of families and some good schools (prepared to go private), budget would be around 500k, although could go higher for right house. I would really need to live somewhere with good public transport links to CBD as I have no intention of being a 2 car family!! Suburbs in south East would be preferable as well as I assume these have easier access to the Gold Coast.

Any help much appreciated.
We have been here 2 yrs and have a 5yr old just started school and a 1 yr old in daycare. We have bought in Ferny Hills. It is walking distance to the school and the train station so my hubby can get to work in 30mins. It is hilly and green and a lovely area to live. We prefer northside to southside but cant really tell you why. We prefer the sunshine coast to the gold coast but again its personal choice. I find the gold coast like Blackpool with sun but then there are people that love Blackpool I dont.

Jo
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:50 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Only ever went to the M1 & M25 meet goin north in my normal day, and only ever further when working, so after midnight. But anyway, whether it be Nerang to Warrongary (don't affect me but hear it on the radio ALL the time) or Loganholme up to Brisbane, I've never been in so much traffic IF I go north! Changed from an auto at work to a bloody manual recently too, and 1st day with the car is Brissie CBD. Once I hit Loganholme I didn't get out of third! ...

Thankfully tho, I work mostly on the coast so it's a smoothish ride to Bundall for me ...

That's me!

South East of Beenleigh, and perfect location geographically if you ask me. 50 mins to Surfers (if you must), and if 2am then prob 30 mins to Brissie. Half the theme parks 20 mins away and Loganholme shopping centre 10 mins. Got every major retail outlet within 15 mins and 6 mins to the highway.

Same time can catch fish 50 metre's from my front door, feed cow's (if your thing) just past the fish, and if lucky will get 4 to 5 red belly blacks a year in me garden ...

(joking on the lucky)

Can't complain on that front ...
Underrated area, if you get out of Beenleigh (and it doesn't have to be too far) and ignore the nay-sayers there is a lot of nice semi-rural property around there.

'aving said that, I'm applying for a job at Loganholme 'cos the CBD commute is getting to me and it ain't getting better anytime soon. Over 2 hours from leaving the office to hitting my front door tonight ... weather doesn't help but even so ...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:58 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
But that will come from Petrie so it will still be a bit of a way. I think getting the bus to sandgate will still be quicker.
QR are saying that the express train from Central to Kippa Ring would be approx 45 mins. So it would be a lot quicker.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
We have been here 2 yrs and have a 5yr old just started school and a 1 yr old in daycare. We have bought in Ferny Hills. It is walking distance to the school and the train station so my hubby can get to work in 30mins. It is hilly and green and a lovely area to live. We prefer northside to southside but cant really tell you why. We prefer the sunshine coast to the gold coast but again its personal choice. I find the gold coast like Blackpool with sun but then there are people that love Blackpool I dont.

Jo
I think you must mean Surfers, not the gold coast. Not seen a great deal of sun in the past couple of days, or even this year to be honest
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Underrated area, if you get out of Beenleigh (and it doesn't have to be too far) and ignore the nay-sayers there is a lot of nice semi-rural property around there.

'aving said that, I'm applying for a job at Loganholme 'cos the CBD commute is getting to me and it ain't getting better anytime soon. Over 2 hours from leaving the office to hitting my front door tonight ... weather doesn't help but even so ...
Totally agree with you on that one. Was only saying to the neighbours (one's a pom) last night how we love it here (Bahrs Scrub) and the 'Beenleigh' stigma, but to be honest I've seen NOTHING in 9 months here that get's close to some of the sights i'd whitness driving round London.

Yeah the weather as you say plays havoc, but 2 hours! I go against the grain and do Beenleigh - Bundall in 45. I dunno where you are in Brissie but would guess that's prob twice the distance covered compared.

On the other side missus now works at Yatala and less than 10 to get to work, but would happily swap it for a Brissie CBD or airport job (did before from Upper Coomera and 60 - 90 to get there then) if it gave her something that losely resembles job satisfaction ... if it exists ...
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:41 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how many they have and when I guess.

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
QR are saying that the express train from Central to Kippa Ring would be approx 45 mins. So it would be a lot quicker.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:06 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you on that one. Was only saying to the neighbours (one's a pom) last night how we love it here (Bahrs Scrub) and the 'Beenleigh' stigma, but to be honest I've seen NOTHING in 9 months here that get's close to some of the sights i'd whitness driving round London.

Yeah the weather as you say plays havoc, but 2 hours! I go against the grain and do Beenleigh - Bundall in 45. I dunno where you are in Brissie but would guess that's prob twice the distance covered compared.

On the other side missus now works at Yatala and less than 10 to get to work, but would happily swap it for a Brissie CBD or airport job (did before from Upper Coomera and 60 - 90 to get there then) if it gave her something that losely resembles job satisfaction ... if it exists ...
We looked around Bahrs Scrub too, nice area but couldn't find anything in our price range, same deal with Buccan ... some great properties though.

My OH decided to drive through Buccan Conservation Park and got stuck, I had to inch the (non 4x4) car out over the potholes and ravines, I don't think you can even use that road now, it was full of burnt-out wrecks when we tried ... it was an enjoyable hour
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:43 am
Account Closed

We looked around Bahrs Scrub too, nice area but couldn't find anything in our price range, same deal with Buccan ... some great properties though.

My OH decided to drive through Buccan Conservation Park and got stuck, I had to inch the (non 4x4) car out over the potholes and ravines, I don't think you can even use that road now, it was full of burnt-out wrecks when we tried ... it was an enjoyable hour
I just had to Google Buccan ... ... at the end of my road!!! ... well, main road anyway. Yeah we see some lovely acreage properties in Bahrs Scrub but we're on a smallish (900m) plot at the Windaroo border. It's all good tho ...

Will have to venture down that way tho, have a nose.

Oh and if bored have a quick squiz thru this:

http://www.bahrsscrub.org.au/index.p...d=11&Itemid=19

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Last edited by PaulandNic; Aug 11th 2010 at 8:47 am.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:44 am
Mostly Harmless

I just had to Google Buccan ... ... at the end of my road!!! ... well, main road anyway. Yeah we see some lovely acreage properties in Bahrs Scrub but we're on a smallish (900m) plot at the Windaroo border. It's all good tho ...

Will have to venture down that way tho, have a nose.

Oh and if bored have a quick squiz thru this:

http://www.bahrsscrub.org.au/index.p...d=11&Itemid=19

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Yep, that's a scary plan, I've been keeping up to date with that (my OH is a public servant so gets the heads-up on these things).

I see they have recently approved the big development down at Yarrabilba which isn't far from me ... one of the new 'cities' to be developed ... might bring some decent infrastructure, there may be positives to outweigh the obvious downsides of turning land in concrete and dumping shedloads of people into the countryside.

Development has to happen somewhere I guess, what with all these damned immigrants, just have a hope the decision makers have the right priorities and balance ...
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Yep, that's a scary plan, I've been keeping up to date with that (my OH is a public servant so gets the heads-up on these things).

I see they have recently approved the big development down at Yarrabilba which isn't far from me ... one of the new 'cities' to be developed ... might bring some decent infrastructure, there may be positives to outweigh the obvious downsides of turning land in concrete and dumping shedloads of people into the countryside.

Development has to happen somewhere I guess, what with all these damned immigrants, just have a hope the decision makers have the right priorities and balance ...
As long as they leave the bit behind me the way it is I'll be happy, and I'm told that RPData states it's council owned and WON'T ever be built on ...

We'll see I guess.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:19 am
Mostly Harmless

As long as they leave the bit behind me the way it is I'll be happy, and I'm told that RPData states it's council owned and WON'T ever be built on ...

We'll see I guess.
Yeh, I hear the cynicism ... we turned down a place 4 years ago because it backed onto the new development, can't say we regretted the decision ... it was an old Queenslander too so has probably fallen down by now ... brick and colo(u)rbond isn't as pretty but I only have so much spare time ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.