Reload this Page >

Brisbane Suburbs

Brisbane Suburbs

Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

just looking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane Suburbs

Hi,

we are looking to move to Brisbane and are just checking out some suburb guide websites to get a rough idea of areas that we'd like to look into further. Anybody live in Brisbane and got anywhere to recommend? We are in our early thirties, no kids, and are looking for somewhere with good transport links to the city. So far a lot of the suburbs that we've looked at seem to have a lot of units for rental, i was after a house. We are probably looking for a mid priced suburb.

Thanks.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:36 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Suburbs

Originally Posted by just looking
Hi,

we are looking to move to Brisbane and are just checking out some suburb guide websites to get a rough idea of areas that we'd like to look into further. Anybody live in Brisbane and got anywhere to recommend? We are in our early thirties, no kids, and are looking for somewhere with good transport links to the city. So far a lot of the suburbs that we've looked at seem to have a lot of units for rental, i was after a house. We are probably looking for a mid priced suburb.

Thanks.
Tenerriffe or new farm
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Wynnum or Manly ?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:01 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

much as there is a British Bayside fraternity on here, I am not convinced people in their 30s with no kids are quite ready for the "quiet life" offered by the bayside suburbs.

Try instead inner suburbs, I think Tenerife and New Farm are already mentioned. Try also (on the west of Brisbane) Paddington, Kedron, maybe The Gap, Toowong, Taringa. West End is up an coming and close to CBD.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
Tell us more - what are your other priorities? Walking distance to a pub/bar? Quiet leafy neighbourhood? Short drive to shops? Near the river or the bay? Lots of suburbs have public transport (city-cat ferry/bus/train) to the city - some take 10 minutes, some over an hour. The suburbs you've looked at are probably quite close to the city, hence greater number of units available. If you want houses at mid-price (whatever that is), you might need to look further from the CBD? What sort of budget per week are you thinking?

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
West End is up an coming and close to CBD.
Personally I wouldn't call West End up and coming as it is very popular with young professionals already, and not cheap if you want a decent house, to rent or to buy.

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Houses are generally chepaer south of the river compared to north, so maybe think Holland Park/Tarragindi sort of area - or maybe Cooparoo/Camp Hill. All 'mid-priced' suburbs not too far from of the centre.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Houses are generally chepaer south of the river compared to north, so maybe think Holland Park/Tarragindi sort of area - or maybe Cooparoo/Camp Hill. All 'mid-priced' suburbs not too far from of the centre.
We have a house and lived in Coorparoo, but we have three kids and needed to be close to ballet school etc. We love that area, but if I were you with no kids, I'd go the South Brisbane, East Brisbane, Hawhorne, Bulimba route and catch the City Cat into work.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:04 am
Just Joined

heohong is an unknown quantity at this point

Im moving to Brisbane, my bf will work in Toombul so we are looking for a good place to live (a house), he likes to live in Sandgate or around that area, but I couldnt find any nice house there.. I dunno if these areas are good or not?

Our budget around 750$/week, can u pls advice us which area that we can find a nice house with 2 or 3 bedrooms, pool, leafy, safe,quiet ..

Thanks alot
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks.
I know Logan and its surrounding suburbs are considered to be rough.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

krazys back is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks.
You've asked the question i was going to so close interest in this post!

Spooky!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/ and search BE for each suburb name as they have all been discussed many times
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
Hi, I have posted the following elsewhere and thought you may find them useful:

---------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion I think if you have to commute to the CBD every day then you should live in Brisbane and commute to the beach on the weekend. Why suffer 5 days of long commutes just to save a bit of a drive to the beach at the weekend. You probably wouldn't go the beach every weekend anyway and most people spend time in parks, their own pools, etc. which are available everywhere. Better still go to the fake beach in the middle of Brisbane at Southbank

Brisbane roads are getting so busy that I think you should consider this...again, just my opinion, some people may do the commute stress free.

Brisbane has been broken into transport hubs with each side of Brisbane generally having a designated hub (usually next to a large shopping mall). If you buy near these you generally will get a good commute.

South: Westfield Garden City - Upper Mt Gravatt
North: Westfield Chermside - Chermside
East: Westfield Carindale - Carindale
West: Indooroopilly Shopping Town - Indooroopilly (I think).

These are the hubs where the government is positioning more shops, jobs, transport etc.

These hubs are approx about 8-12km outside of the CBD. Any suburb along the traffic route between the hub and the CBD or feeding into the hub will usually have the best transport links. These will usually be buses.

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the southside include: Wishart (very nice family suburb - kids playing on the street), Upper Mt Gravatt (busy but handy) and Mt Gravatt (some great pockets), Eight Mile Plains (big houses - multicultural), Holland Park (old money on the hill), Tarragindi (beautiful suburb full of trees).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the eastside include: Carindale (family suburb popular with greek and italian immigrants), Carina (nice local shops), Carina Heights (the heights make it), Camp Hill (getting closer in now), Norman Park (renovators galore), Coorparoo (mixture of busy shopping and quiet old world houses).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the westside include: Indooroopilly (Shops and groovy train station), Taringa (nice local shops and train), Toowong (busy shopping village plus some beautiful quiet area's with nice parks), Auchenflower (can almost walk to work from here), Paddington (my pick).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the northside include: Chermside (currently winning the biggest mall in Brisbane competition - we're a dull lot), <no idea - someone else please fill in>.

Train routes only serve some of Brisbane so are very suburb specific. Some people never live near a train their whole life.

My pick is the westside of Brisbane from Paddington outwards until you hit a suburb you can afford or a house size you can live with.

I have left out a huge number of suburbs with good transport - this is just to get you started as I know it must be confusing with so many to look at.

Hope this helps...

I would like to add to my post something all people buying into Brisbane should know. You have to decide whether to shack or not to shack.

When I dragged my Geordie wife to Brisbane I explained to her that almost all houses in Brisbane used to be wooden - which explains why the first 10km or so from the CBD is almost all wooden house.

I'm not living in a bloody shack (said with Geordie accent) she insisted. After repeated attempts I gave up an we moved to the brick belt that really boomed in the late 70's onwards. You can now carbon date the rings around Brisbane from shacks to 70's brick, 80's brick, 90's brick, 00's brick as you go out.

The thing you need to know is that the more classical "shacks" are actually the most sought after, desirable houses in Brisbane. The inner city one's are the best and they usually get less desirable as you go out as the shacks become newer and more plain. They have their issues (draughts, maintenance etc) but are the most beautiful houses full of charm and detail. So the first question you must decide - can you buy an elegant Queenslander home or to you is it just a shack.

Note that after a few years my wife totally changed her mind and we are now looking at shacks.

So roughly the suburbs I listed above are:

Wishart - brick 80's to 00's
Eight Mile Plains - brick 80's to 00's
Upper Mt Gravatt - less desirable shacks and brick 70-80's
Mt Gravatt - less desirable to fair shacks
Holland Park - fair to awesome shacks
Tarragindi - less desirable to awesome shacks

Carindale - 80's to 00's brick
Carina - mostly less desirable shacks
Carina Heights - mostly less desirable shacks and brick 70's to 80's
Camp Hill - better shacks and brick 70's to 80's
Norman Park - some nice shacks
Coorparoo - nice shacks and some unusual (for Brisbane) English style homes.

Indooroopilly - nice shacks and brick?
Taringa - nicer shacks
Toowong - even nicer shacks
Auchenflower - shacks are even better
Paddington - best shacks overall

Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Toowong - even nicer shacks

Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I love all this talk of shacks.....it's hilarious! We used to say 'sheds'.

I always used to say that I wouldn't live in a shed but in then end it came down to a choice of some new build 4x2 on an estate miles from anywhere, or a half decent shed 15 mins by bus from the CBD......the shed wins every time.

The sheds are much more suited to the summer climate, BUT are bloody freezing in winter!