Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:51 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
@Neil I am no expert on Mango Hill, but from recollection its predominantly flat rural land with one or two streets lol. Blink and you miss it, but I daresay since last I was there they have expanded it beyond recognition.

Ormiston is on the Cleveland line, so direct access to the city in about 1 hr 10 mins.

Wakerley may be worth looking at, all new homes. Good growing area of young families.
I'd pick Ormiston over Wakerley. Ormiston feels peaceful and kind of classic to me whereas Wakerley has nice new houses but they seem very cheek by jowl in little estate streets and not much else going on around them.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Plenty of places like this in Brisbane. If you want govt high schools you are better, on average, sticking closer to town. Further out they seem to get worse (on average) and many spend on private schools instead.

The inner west has many of the best state high schools, so you might look at The Gap, Kenmore and Indooroopilly. They rank higher than many private schools.

For example, The Gap is a low crime area with great state primary and high schools, 30 mins from the CBD on a bus in peak hour with swimming, equestrian, golf, road cycling, running, football, athletics, mountain biking etc clubs. Your budget should be enough to get a decent home.

It starts only 8km from the city so while quiet itself, it is also very accessible to the facilities of inner Brisbane.

It is also next to a national park and surrounded by beautiful nature.

Thanks for that fish, The Gap sounds great! Minus the golf
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:59 pm
Banned

neil32 is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at Wakerley and again nothing in my price, looked previously at the Gap and if I had the budget I'd definetly be looking about that area. The only way I could consider it would be to run only 1 car for my wife and the reduced travel fares on transport could free up $70 a week but I think I'd need more like $100-$150 free to start look there.

I really do have to stick on my budget if I am to make the move, you can only spend what you bring in, so it looks like north lake or mango hill, griffin areas for me in the north.

As I said before I know where people are coming from I'd say the same about areas further out from where I live in the UK but I know people who do live in those places and they get on ok, I'm lucky enough to live near the city just now but making the move to Brisbane and living that bit further out is still going to give me access to a whole new adventure and the things I would like a bit more in life than I have in the UK. (warmer climate and 60-90 min drive to sunshine and gold coast, and closer to family)

So for renting it really is looking like those areas, so I'd love to hear from people who are living in those area in the north, or know people who are there to give the good and bad.

I know the commute will be terrible on days and average of an hr on the not so bad days, I'll have to drive to a station 8km away until the mango hill rail link is up which should help the commute.

So commute aside I'd like to know how people like or dislike living there

Last edited by neil32; Feb 19th 2014 at 3:04 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:35 pm
Banned

My wife was having a look today and found Warner, any views on this area.

Its 25km from Brisbane, 5km to bray park station, seems to be in our budget.

I've read on google on some other forum links north lakes would be a bette option once the train line is in and easier access to the highways, but 5km to the nearest station and a few km closer to city might knock off 20mins commute taking it to an average of an hr rather than 90 mins

Last edited by neil32; Feb 19th 2014 at 6:44 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Warner, Cashmere and parts of Petrie are nice.

Gets hot out there. Warner is heavily tree'd, a lot of acreage homes. Not far from Eatons Hill Pub, reputedly the largest in southern hemisphere, and they do great steaks.

But if you live in Warner, nearest station I think is Petrie, but also Bray Park ( rough area ). However, to get to the highway is a little jaunt, but fine. You could also drop onto the centenary highway.

For fun, checkout Dayboro, where we built a home. I used to work in Kingston. See what my daily commute was ! lmao was I a tit !

Perhaps, look at other suburbs along Centenary, such as Kenmore.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
Warner, Cashmere and parts of Petrie are nice.

Gets hot out there. Warner is heavily tree'd, a lot of acreage homes. Not far from Eatons Hill Pub, reputedly the largest in southern hemisphere, and they do great steaks.

But if you live in Warner, nearest station I think is Petrie, but also Bray Park ( rough area ). However, to get to the highway is a little jaunt, but fine. You could also drop onto the centenary highway.

For fun, checkout Dayboro, where we built a home. I used to work in Kingston. See what my daily commute was ! lmao was I a tit !

Perhaps, look at other suburbs along Centenary, such as Kenmore.
Thanks for the info, Bray park is about 5lm and petrie 7km so not much in it.

Would you say north lakes/mangohill will be a better option once the train link is completed over Warner? Not sure I'd been keen having a rough area so close by.

I had a look at Dayboro to Kingston, that was some commute

I looked at Kenmore before and out my budget

Last edited by neil32; Feb 19th 2014 at 8:15 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Besides every good area there are bad areas.

Its true everywhere. So dont get hooked up on neighbouring burbs.

I think you should open your search to more areas. Your being a little restrictive and perhaps blinkered. I know its hard from afar.

Brisbane must has over 800 suburbs lol

Theres Algester, Parkinson. Then areas like Shailer Park etc etc
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil32
I looked at Wakerley and again nothing in my price, looked previously at the Gap and if I had the budget I'd definetly be looking about that area. The only way I could consider it would be to run only 1 car for my wife and the reduced travel fares on transport could free up $70 a week but I think I'd need more like $100-$150 free to start look there.
Just a thought but areas like The Gap may save in school fees as well if you decide the local schools in the other areas are not up to scratch. Good chance you could happily use govt schools from Prep to Year 12 in places like The Gap. You will also save in child care hours and possibly getting rid of the second car.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:56 pm
Banned

Timbersback... I don't mean to come across in that way just struggling to see anything in my budget without being further out, I'll keep looking but in the mean time would like to hear from people living in these area

fish.01 I'd have to use public schools unless there is a dramitic increase in salaries, child care is by the day so not a saving on this one, but possibly on the car front. Thanks for the advice
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't rule Springfield Lakes out completely. OK so I prefer living bayside, but that is mainly because when I was in Springfield there was no train, so if I wanted a night out in Brisbane it was train to Richlands (or Goodna before Richlands opened...urgghhhh....) then a taxi, which was a pain. I think if you have a YOUNG family it is pretty good (maybe not so much for older kids to do). Yes a lot of the newer houses are crammed in, but that could be said for a lot of the newer suburbs, and the older bits have some lovely houses. There a lot of facilities there - you don't need to go anywhere near Ipswich!
You could try posting on the Facebook group 'The Brisbannittes', to specifically target expats living in Brisbane.