Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

I agree with Macy and Bobby the Newcastle supporter.

I once worked on some new builds in Springfield Lakes, farted and set 4 car alarms off. The houses are wedged in so close its ridic.

Affordability has its place when you first buy, but bad value soon rears its head !
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

One area not mentioned yet is Narangba Valley, to the West of the Highway. Rentals are a tad cheaper and there are plenty of rentals. When I lived up that way I had several friends in the area. Advantages: handy for rail at Burpengary and Narangba railway stations. Quite handy to Morayfield and North Lakes shopping towns. Local schools have quite a good name. Disadvantages: inland location, so hotter (so is Springfield Lakes) and not a lot of local shopping and service facilities.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Ferny Grove area is worth a look as well.

Not as far out and separated from Brisbane proper as Redlands, North Lakes, Springfield Lakes etc but still some reasonable house prices.

Mix of older larger plots and newer estates.

Train to the city in around 30 mins. Close to beautiful countryside.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:50 am
Banned

neil32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all replies, I will get a chance soon to have a look at all the areas.

Rent has to be about $400 a week, so for that we are going to have to stay a bit out from Brisbane, to get something fairly modern. I really don't mind the travel to the city if thats where I would actually work, my travel here to work is about 32 mile (51km) round trip. So North lakes and Springfield lakes is really the furthest we'd like to be.

I know its a bit inland and will be hotter, but we'll be working in the week and weekends hopefully the majority spent near to the coast or parks. I do agree with how close the houses are together but thats what their like in the UK now with new builds and chicken run gardens.

The main thing for us is good childcare, school, family area, nice area, has the essential shops and train link to the city, and we are 1-2 hr drive from gold and sunshine coast all at an affordable price for the first 1-2 years.

North lakes or to the north would suit us better as we prefer sunshine coast, and the north would be closer to family, but the times we see family would be the off peak traffic hrs.

We looked at Ferny Grove after being recommend this area but its about $450 a week before there is something suitable :-(

We're only going to have one wage, one part time and a kid so its kind of tight till we get ourselves sorted and know salaries.

The advantage is that we will have a 2-3 year before we buy and settle that we don't have to keep moving schools, my little one will start school 2 years and a bit after we aim to arrive, and buying closer to the city will depend on the exchange rate at that time, with bringing cash over from the UK.

Happy to hear more places as I'll have a look on realestate and google maps, train link though is a must or a good bus link.

Last edited by neil32; Feb 15th 2014 at 9:01 am.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil32
Thanks for all replies, I will get a chance soon to have a look at all the areas.

Rent has to be about $400 a week, so for that we are going to have to stay a bit out from Brisbane, to get something fairly modern. I really don't mind the travel to the city if thats where I would actually work, my travel here to work is about 32 mile (51km) round trip.

I know its a bit inland and will be hotter, but we'll be working in the week and weekends hopefully the majority spent near to the coast or parks. I do agree with how close the houses are together but thats what their like in the UK now with new builds and chicken run gardens.

The main thing for us is good childcare, school, family area, nice area, has the essential shops and train link to the city, and we are 1-2 hr drive from gold and sunshine coast all at an affordable price for the first 1-2 years.

North lakes or to the north would suit us better as we prefer sunshine coast, and the north would be closer to family, but the times we see family would be the off peak traffic hrs.

We looked at Ferny Grove after being recommend this area but its about $450 a week before there is something suitable :-(

We're only going to have one wage, one part time and a kid so its kind of tight till we get ourselves sorted and know salaries.

The advantage is that we will have a 2-3 year before we buy and settle that we don't have to keep moving schools, my little one will start school 2 years and a bit after we aim to arrive, and buying closer to the city will depend on the exchange rate at that time, with bringing cash over from the UK.

Happy to hear more places as I'll have a look on realestate and google maps, train link though is a must or a good bus link.
Hi Neil32,

Can you explain the type of houses you would consider in more detail to help narrow the areas down.

ie Do you only want < 5 years old, or < 10 years or say <25 but renovated is ok ? Or even older homes than that but nicely renovated with new kitchens/bathrooms?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by fish.01
Hi Neil32,

Can you explain the type of houses you would consider in more detail to help narrow the areas down.

ie Do you only want < 5 years old, or < 10 years or say <25 but renovated is ok ? Or even older homes than that but nicely renovated with new kitchens/bathrooms?
Hi

The type we are looking for is brick built not the old style timber builds, i'd prob say up too 10 year old but we would look at older if it was modern/renovated inside as its a rental.

The new build styles in those areas we can afford we like, all be it yes they are very close together and most are new areas being built up further out from the city, but its a nice clean new home that requires no work. Buying is a different game altogether as you can put your own stamp on it.

I do like the look of north lakes but whats the best way to the city, I'd have to drive close to a station then, so whats the closest ones?

Springfield has the station, and my wife will be in with a good chance of getting part time work in Ipswich or Brisbane

Last edited by neil32; Feb 15th 2014 at 9:18 am.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

The type we are looking for is brick built not the old style timber builds, i'd prob say up too 10 year old but we would look at older if it was modern/renovated inside as its a rental.

The new build styles in those areas we can afford we like, all be it yes they are very close together and most are new areas being built up further out from the city, but its a nice clean new home that requires no work. Buying is a different game altogether as you can put your own stamp on it.

I do like the look of north lakes but whats the best way to the city, I'd have to drive close to a station then, so whats the closest ones?
I'm not sure sorry Neil. I only see North Lakes when driving to the Sunshine Coast and it seems a long way away from Brisbane to me but of course everything is relative. You can drive over to the northern line but I imagine you need to get there early for a park and I'm not sure which station is best for that. I'll leave comment on that area to others who know it better.

I asked about the houses you like as I'm trying to think of other areas that are not mentioned which may suit to add to your list.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Springfield has the station, and my wife will be in with a good chance of getting part time work in Ipswich or Brisbane
You probably know this but just factor in the extra fares/petrol you'll both have to pay further out. It is also harder for a partner to access a second job in Brisbane (if you already have one) if you live too far as childcare pickups become less viable or incur longer hours and expense. Sometimes best to live somewhere they can get a local job or live as close as financially possible to Brisbane to access Brisbane jobs. Depends on type of jobs of course.

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 15th 2014 at 9:29 am.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:53 am
Banned

Thanks fisho1, if you think of any more areas please let me know. It is far out but 18-20 miles is not that bad, I'm working in the week, wife working 3 days, kid in nursery/school in the week, we have a young one so we aren't looking for the nightlife etc, and things are still accessable for the weekends, but in a few years my weekends will be spent as a taxi driver for my kid taking him to sports and clubs etc ;-)

Yeah I've factored in the travel fee's its $7.05 from springfield lakes on the train to Roma street zone1-6, after 9 trips its free so I'd use it 10 times a week for work if working in city, my wife will be aiming for 3 days a week 18-21 hrs, and little one nursery 3 days a week 7-4/5 depending on work location.

Its something I can look at but there will always be transport costs, its whether the saving is enough to top up the rent its something I'd need to look more closely at, but to stay closer and get something I am after i'd prob need min $550 a week to start

Thanks again for help and advise its all very welcome :-)

Last edited by neil32; Feb 15th 2014 at 9:57 am.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

I would steer clear of going across the gateway in any form, if you plan on working in the city.
Its just a pain in the ass.

Anyhoo, checkout Chermside. Pollyanna used to live that way and can better advise.

I would also look into Carina, Carindale on Brizzys southside, just east of the city.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:48 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Currently renting a townhouse in Bracken Ridge for $350p/w across the road from shops, very convenient and on bus route, Carseldine station a short drive away. My kids are doing very well at sandgate state and high schools. We've looked around the north side and checked out the newer suburbs further out, the difference in price the further you go (within reason) out is negligible. Also the new builds are built very close together on just legal plots. We have found we can get an established modern (brick and tile) house in Bracken Ridge on a 5-600m ish plot for around the same as the "advertised" price of one of the new build areas. The same for the Redcliffe peninsular, this although as far north as North Lakes joins onto the gateway further south via the hornibrook bridge and is close to the lovely foreshore with the bonus of a train going in at kippa ring

Another thing that worries me is the continuing expansion of the outer north suburbs and the pressure this will place on the road network, I reckon the gateway/ gympie rd join will be a traffic black spot in future, I'd stay south of that if you can.

Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice

Link on best primary schools for 2013 http://bettereducation.com.au/school...y_schools.aspx. Definitely consider Bayside area as there is a big expat community there. If you can live with the commute from North Lakes into Brisbane then that seems really popular at the moment (assuming you will be working there - otherwise it doesn't really matter because off peak travel is fine). I would say either spend some time in a furnished short term let or get a 6 month lease and experience it for a while - you can always move somewhere else if it is not quite for you. Others have said enough about springfield I think but the train line will make the commute much easier.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:09 am
Banned

Thanks for all the info

Yeah Springfield Lakes doesn't seem to be getting the best comments, not the worst either the advantage of this area was the train link and the affordable houses that ticked our boxes.

North Lakes would prob be better and as people have said its not so inland, I have a look and nearest train station is about 13km drive, however the mango hill station due to open in 2016 form the top of north lakes is 5km so that would be a great improvement. I'm guessing most people in north lakes drive to a train station or drive close to the city then bus it in? I would imagine the bus from north lakes would take some time, maybe someone in north lakes could help?

I'll be going through the other areas suggested this week so I'll see what I can find that is within our budget and is suitable.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely avoid Springfield Lakes or indeed anywhere that close to Ipswich, the whole area has a dodgy reputation for a good reason.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
I would definitely avoid Springfield Lakes or indeed anywhere that close to Ipswich, the whole area has a dodgy reputation for a good reason.
What about north lakes?

I was having a look and until mango hill station is complete, then best way looks to be a 8km drive to Dakabin station and looks to be plenty parking along Thompson Road, if that gets too busy then plenty housing estates close to park at and then you can walk through Bob Brock Park to the station maybe 5-10 min walk, does anyone use Dakabin from North lakes?

Or drive to Narrangba station which has car park and housing estates next to station, any one use Narrangba station form north lakes? Is station parking free, as it looks to be park or parknride?

Or Petrie , looks to be a lot more parking so guessing the main station in that area, some housing streets near by to park on and its a 10km I thought maybe Dakabin might be an easier option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.