British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbane-springfield-lakes-area-north-lakes-area-824256/)

neil32 Feb 6th 2014 9:40 am

Brisbane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

Hi,

I am looking for some info on Springfield lakes, Augustine Heights in the south and North lakes and Mango Hill in the north.

These are areas that are affordable to us for renting and buying.

I'd like to know firstly anything about the Schools Primary and High? (I know the schools names and catchment areas just nothing about them)

What the area is like to live in for families?

How easy is it to get Childcare places in these areas (some places are 12-24 months wait)?

I know the south suburbs are about 25km out and the north 28-30km out.

What I know about Springfield it has a new train line, and the suburb is building up with a uni, cinema, shops etc, the drive is about 30 mins off peak and 60min peak...longer if jams etc to and from the city

Northlakes have no train link but Mango Hill does. Driving is about the same form Mango Hill, slightly more form North lakes?

Thanks

jad n rich Feb 6th 2014 10:02 am

Re: Bribane - Springfield lakes area or North lakes area

Originally Posted by neil32 (Post 11115983)
Hi,

I am looking for some info on Springfield lakes, Augustine Heights in the south and North lakes and Mango Hill in the north.

These are areas that are affordable to us for renting and buying.

I'd like to know firstly anything about the Schools Primary and High? (I know the schools names and catchment areas just nothing about them)

What the area is like to live in for families?

How easy is it to get Childcare places in these areas (some places are 12-24 months wait)?

I know the south suburbs are about 25km out and the north 28-30km out.

What I know about Springfield it has a new train line, and the suburb is building up with a uni, cinema, shops etc, the drive is about 30 mins off peak and 60min peak...longer if jams etc to and from the city

Northlakes have no train link but Mango Hill does. Driving is about the same form Mango Hill, slightly more form North lakes?

Thanks

Your housing estates will be pretty similar. Tavern, school, woolies, few extra shops, bike tracks, docs and hairdresser, fake lake, lots of new rentals, next stage comes along and it becomes more desired than the last stage. North lakes now is so huge it extends so far up the highway it looks like its heading for caboolture. But it has the benefit of every major chain chucking money into the area, huge shopping going in.

Schools in them will vary on the pot luck of which combo of kids/teacher they get each year. After putting 3 through school, I can honestly say its pot luck each year, no school is all good or all bad. New estate schools usually have new buildings and a bright uniform, but all the same really.

You know 10 15 mins east of northlakes you could be in the older but beach suburbs for a similar or cheaper price. ?

neil32 Feb 6th 2014 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11116003)
Your housing estates will be pretty similar. Tavern, school, woolies, few extra shops, bike tracks, docs and hairdresser, fake lake, lots of new rentals, next stage comes along and it becomes more desired than the last stage. North lakes now is so huge it extends so far up the highway it looks like its heading for caboolture. But it has the benefit of every major chain chucking money into the area, huge shopping going in.

Schools in them will vary on the pot luck of which combo of kids/teacher they get each year. After putting 3 through school, I can honestly say its pot luck each year, no school is all good or all bad. New estate schools usually have new buildings and a bright uniform, but all the same really.

You know 10 15 mins east of northlakes you could be in the older but beach suburbs for a similar or cheaper price. ?

Hi thanks for that info all great, what is the suburbs called to the east of north lakes and I'll take a look.

The thing we are looking for is for the rent price in those places the build is new and modern

jad n rich Feb 6th 2014 11:11 am

Originally Posted by neil32 (Post 11116079)
Hi thanks for that info all great, what is the suburbs called to the east of north lakes and I'll take a look.

The thing we are looking for is for the rent price in those places the build is new and modern

Search for woody point, there was a thread on it and redcliffe recently. There are loads of new luxury waterfront apartments for rent, some new houses but no housing estates with several thousand houses.

fish.01 Feb 6th 2014 6:58 pm

Springfield Lakes is different to North Lakes as it is a full planned town/city with financial district, medical precinct with hospital, research etc, high rise section, town centre, full education district with university etc etc. It will "eventually" be massive as it develops over the decades into a standalone town.

While they don't feel that different at the moment North Lakes is just a master planned suburb with shops, schools and a lake, similar to Forest Lake except it has far more shops than Forest Lake.

Springfield Lakes is near Ipswich so it will be hotter in summer and colder in winter than Brisbane city.

buzz Feb 7th 2014 5:28 am

I lived in Springfield Lakes until about a year ago. I would say it is definitely very family friendly and nice enough place to live, though I much prefer where I am now. The train line happened after I moved, so I would imagine that has improved the commute quite a bit - the road heading into the city was a nightmare during rush hour. Also, not sure if you meant it has a cinema (it hasn't) or that one is planned.
I'm now living in Manly West (nearer to the coast) and have noticed a difference in temperature - definitely been cooler this summer!

JAMFC Feb 7th 2014 8:40 am

Why don't you take a look at the Sandgate/Brighton/Deagon areas?
Shorncliffe is lovely (great primary school), but probably a bit pricey.

JAMFC Feb 7th 2014 8:42 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11116104)
Search for woody point, there was a thread on it and redcliffe recently. There are loads of new luxury waterfront apartments for rent, some new houses but no housing estates with several thousand houses.

Actually, I was in Redcliffe today for the first time in ages, there were loads of new boutiques/eateries etc open, it was really lovely (I don't rate the public schools there though)

Just notice my avatar is Redcliffe!

neil32 Feb 7th 2014 9:55 am

Thanks again of info and other reccommendations of places to look.

I really need a place that is low rent but a fairly modern build and nice area, once we look to buy then we will prob be able to move closer to city or the coast. Just don't have the funds at the moment for high rent.

Thanks and keep the info coming

JAMFC Feb 8th 2014 3:10 am

Bracken Ridge is affordable and most of the houses are fairly new

neil32 Feb 8th 2014 4:18 am

Originally Posted by JAMFC (Post 11118917)
Bracken Ridge is affordable and most of the houses are fairly new

Thanks, looks some nice streets in that area and some fairly new looking builds, prob looking at 430- $450 end of my budget for something nice, somewhere else to look further into.

TimbersBack Feb 12th 2014 8:19 pm

I would steer clear of Bracken Ridge, parts of it are feralville.

Once you hop over the gateway, during rush our, the Bruce Highway grinds to a halt.
That said, springfield lakes and noth lakes could only remotely be compared based on age of home.

Most of it depends on where you will work predominantly, or if self employed where your best customer base is.

I would recommend North Lakes over Springfield Lakes anyday, but it is getting very Milton Keynesified

Also, look at trains.

You would be amazed how much easier life is and the future value of your home is based on proximity to rail services.

Mango hill, is blink and you missed it.

The closer you get to water, the higher the cost. Woody point and scarborough are nice.

Perhaps consider, birkdale, cleveland,wellington point, capalaba, wynnum and manly in your search criteria.

neil32 Feb 13th 2014 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by TimbersBack (Post 11127046)
I would steer clear of Bracken Ridge, parts of it are feralville.

Once you hop over the gateway, during rush our, the Bruce Highway grinds to a halt.
That said, springfield lakes and noth lakes could only remotely be compared based on age of home.

Most of it depends on where you will work predominantly, or if self employed where your best customer base is.

I would recommend North Lakes over Springfield Lakes anyday, but it is getting very Milton Keynesified

Also, look at trains.

You would be amazed how much easier life is and the future value of your home is based on proximity to rail services.

Mango hill, is blink and you missed it.

The closer you get to water, the higher the cost. Woody point and scarborough are nice.

Perhaps consider, birkdale, cleveland,wellington point, capalaba, wynnum and manly in your search criteria.

Thanks for the info I will have a look at the areas.

I was looking at more Springfield lakes over north lakes, due to the train links at springfield and the area is being built up more and more, I know what you mean by the areas very MK but its where we can afford at first and its the houses we like.

The main as long as jobs etc all work out is that we have the sunshine, the gold coast an 1hrs drive and the sunshine coast 2hrs drive away and the city 30-40 mins away...we certainly don't have that just now :fingerscrossed:

bobbyftm Feb 13th 2014 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by neil32 (Post 11128799)
Thanks for the info I will have a look at the areas.

I was looking at more Springfield lakes over north lakes, due to the train links at springfield and the area is being built up more and more, I know what you mean by the areas very MK but its where we can afford at first and its the houses we like.

The main as long as jobs etc all work out is that we have the sunshine, the gold coast an 1hrs drive and the sunshine coast 2hrs drive away and the city 30-40 mins away...we certainly don't have that just now :fingerscrossed:

Bayside area just about ticks all those boxes ;)

macy Feb 14th 2014 2:40 am

Originally Posted by neil32 (Post 11117774)
Thanks again of info and other reccommendations of places to look.

I really need a place that is low rent but a fairly modern build and nice area, once we look to buy then we will prob be able to move closer to city or the coast. Just don't have the funds at the moment for high rent.

Thanks and keep the info coming

I will probably get shot down for typing this but.... rellies lived in Springfield Lakes for 2years and therefore we stayed with them for 6 weeks when we first came over... it was over 10 years ago though so things will have improved.... however...

Things we noticed were, it's hotter inland, there are more flies, the traffic getting into the city was awful, it was hotter! It's not near the coast and it's not near brisbane cbd , did I mention the flies :)

I would go North Lakes as some have suggested however the traffic getting home from the CBD is shocking most nights, I would maybe look at Bracken Ridge, Bald Hills, Sandgate and jump on the train or getting an apartment in the CBD for the first month when you arrive and having a good look around.

Albany Creek, Eatons Hill all have bus routes straight into the CBD as well. Good luck .