Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane speeding fine

Brisbane speeding fine

Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane speeding fine

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I am happy to pay the initial fine. But I was questioning the one 3 minutes later. I was truly unaware that the speed was 50 and not 60. Hence why my speed was exactly 60 each time.
Exactly 10km over the limit , 3 mins after getting a ticket in the same spot for driving at the same speed-DUH!!

And now, having broken the law twice, you want to wriggle out of it?

SHAME.

Last edited by ianandhelena; Mar 6th 2013 at 1:43 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I am happy to pay the initial fine. But I was questioning the one 3 minutes later. I was truly unaware that the speed was 50 and not 60. Hence why my speed was exactly 60 each time.
Do you appreciate the irony of this stupid comment?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

ianand helena.....not exactly helpful or polite are you???
Firstly it was not a physical ticket so you would not know of the first one until it came through the post, so the second one is not exactly even in your thoughts as you return the journey.
The 'irony' comment is just banal...again, the OP was stating the facts not using hindsight, which you are appearing to use with imperious abandon.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Exactly 10km over the limit , 3 mins after getting a ticket in the same spot for driving at the same speed-DUH!!

And now, having broken the law twice, you want to wriggle out of it?

SHAME.
DUH is not appropriate in this context....get a life and try and be useful.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:37 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

The irony is that if she was pulled over by the police instead she would have been told of the offence there and then and able to rectify her ways immediately. Cameras dont help slow down traffic until 2 weeks later when the fine comes, then if one can recall the circumstances, and stop driving like an alleged hoon.

Just think in all that time in waiting for the ticket how long the offender has been driving on the road uncontrolled, doing untold damage, running down pedestrians and parents with prams! Cameras are there to make money.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
ianand helena.....not exactly helpful or polite are you???
Firstly it was not a physical ticket so you would not know of the first one until it came through the post, so the second one is not exactly even in your thoughts as you return the journey.
The 'irony' comment is just banal...again, the OP was stating the facts not using hindsight, which you are appearing to use with imperious abandon.
thanks paddyooh
You know some big words! I am therefore impressed!

Oh but wait-imperious means arrogant-how is it arrogant to comment on someone else's admitted lawbreaking? So now i am not impressed any more.

And Mark213 makes valid points re speeding.

Don't take me too seriously......if you think I'm trying to be funny then I usually am! Albeit unsuccessfully.....true.

Last edited by ianandhelena; Mar 7th 2013 at 12:21 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
DUH is not appropriate in this context....get a life and try and be useful.
Thankyou for your life advice. What do you suggest?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
The irony is that if she was pulled over by the police instead she would have been told of the offence there and then and able to rectify her ways immediately. Cameras dont help slow down traffic until 2 weeks later when the fine comes, then if one can recall the circumstances, and stop driving like an alleged hoon.

Just think in all that time in waiting for the ticket how long the offender has been driving on the road uncontrolled, doing untold damage, running down pedestrians and parents with prams! Cameras are there to make money.
I think you're missing the point. Neither police nor cameras should be required to slow down traffic to acceptable speeds, yet sadly people feel they should be able to break the law (not referring to the OP here) and drive too fast. Cameras are an additional way to remind people of their obligations whilst driving.

People should remember their obligations when driving, and remember that the licence to drive is a privilege not a right.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:32 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

In NSW there are fixed speed cameras that operate 24 hrs a day. As you approach these camera there are huge roadside signs warning you that you are approaching a fixed speed camera and usually a second large sign well before the actual camera.

And yet these cameras still catch people speeding! Some people just want to be fined!!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Thankyou for your life advice. What do you suggest?
I suggest being more helpful, its ok to comment on someones illegal activities but you were making the wrong assumption that she already knew she had been caught speeding. I agree with Mark's points as well, which were more practical.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

thanks paddyooh
You know some big words! I am therefore impressed!

Oh but wait-imperious means arrogant-how is it arrogant to comment on someone else's admitted lawbreaking? So now i am not impressed any more.

And Mark213 makes valid points re speeding.

Don't take me too seriously......if you think I'm trying to be funny then I usually am! Albeit unsuccessfully.....true.
"3 mins after getting a ticket in the same spot for driving at the same speed-DUH!!"
That was the arrogant comment......it was also stupid as it made an incorrect assumption of a physical ticket.
I wasn't in any way trying to defend the OP for speeding, I agree it was foolish especially in a built up zone and gave the OP a straight forward black and white answer by noting her facts.
As for big words...yep....a huge amount!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:06 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I think you're missing the point. Neither police nor cameras should be required to slow down traffic to acceptable speeds, yet sadly people feel they should be able to break the law (not referring to the OP here) and drive too fast. Cameras are an additional way to remind people of their obligations whilst driving.

People should remember their obligations when driving, and remember that the licence to drive is a privilege not a right.
Exactly its there to stop people as a deterrent. My point is timing of that deterrent.

How can a deterrent be effective when you arent told about it - if there was a sign after saying "driver of xx xx rego - you have been ticketed for doing yy kms over the speed limit" more people would drive better immediately - not weeks later. Hence no second ticket in this case of the OP.

Another good point you raise is "acceptable" speed. In whos opinion is that speed acceptable? If the weather is poor, slippery road then the posted speed is perhaps not acceptable. And also vice versa is true is excellent weather with no other traffic or hazards. The determination of what is acceptable is determined by some desk jockey who decided its best to be 60 or 50 or 70 or whatever at the time they assessed it. So we are all ok as drivers to slow down when we assess the road conditions as poor, but never are we allowed to make an assessment when things are better.

Have you ever seen a speed limit raised - I never have, but i have noticed countless reductions.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

robert0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Either he still thinks he's in the 80s, taxis in Perth are very expensive or he lives a bloody long way from the pub!

Drink driving penalties - WA Police website
Thats The funniest thing ive heard today
My neighbour in cairns was always drunk getting out of his yeut,now i know why?.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213

Very valid points, I think cameras do little to slow motorists if there is nothing in place to make them immediately aware of the offence. Cameras sitting and snapping with no police officers on hand to stop motorists, are merely money making machines.

I received only one speeding fine in Australia in 42 years of driving there, I had been pulled over after going through a roadside speed trap, and I didn't speed after that. I'd been known to speed constantly over the years, though I was usually careful where it was done. On that one occasion in 1971 I was going through a personal crisis and not concentrating.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:33 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Mark213, the question as to whether speed limits are reasonable is a totally different ones. There are many laws that I disagree with, but I accept that they are laws made by a democratically elected government and that I can either abide by them or accept the consequences of breaking them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.