Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane speeding fine

Brisbane speeding fine

Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane speeding fine

My eldest child's school rang me mid-day to tell me she was ill. I honestly thought the speed limit was 60 at that time of the day. I was caught speeding doing 60 in a 50 zone. Then 3 minutes later (when I turned around to go home) was caught once again doing 60 in a 50 zone.

I apparently have made an honest mistake and have no problem paying for one ticket (ticked off that my GPS said it was a 60 zone) but feel like I read somewhere that I might be able to fight the ticket from the same location 3 minutes later. Is this right or am I going to have to pay both tickets?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane speeding fine

School zones are 40km hour between 7-9am and 2-4pm, the 50km hour limit is in residential streets and applies 24/7 I think.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Thank you. I do appreciate it. Now I know and can be more careful. Do you know if I will be obligated to pay the fine from 3 minutes later where I am going in the opposite direction?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to pay the fine, don't do the crime.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

I am happy to pay the initial fine. But I was questioning the one 3 minutes later. I was truly unaware that the speed was 50 and not 60. Hence why my speed was exactly 60 each time.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I am happy to pay the initial fine. But I was questioning the one 3 minutes later. I was truly unaware that the speed was 50 and not 60. Hence why my speed was exactly 60 each time.
You were still speeding the second time, so I suspect you will have little defence. There was a case in the UK where someone was unaware of the speed limit on a long road, he went through about 6 cameras, and was flashed by each, but he still didn't slow him down, the 6 fines and 18 points did though, he lost his license all within 20 minutes.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Thank you.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:16 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody woman drivers
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:26 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Pay the fine...

its only 2 pts on your licence...

Consider it a regular cost of motoring. I'd budget for an average of 1 speeding ticket per year. This is low enough to ensure you dont reach the magic '12' within a 3yr period and low enough to not make a skeric of difference to your insurance premiums (they assume that any driver will have regular speeding tickets).

The downside of 1 point offences is you cant pay by installment and have to pay in 1 go. You need a full 3 pointer to use an installment plan. It would be nicer if they'd let you spread the payments over 36 monthly payments so that the payment period matches the lifespan of the points - then you could perhaps just set up a regular direct debit and may be even get your account in 'credit' before the next fine arrives if you get a lucky period without passing any lurking cop cars?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Just off topic, I remember a friend of mine in Perth telling me that he had worked out that he could drink and drive, and if caught (providing not drinking enough to be banned) would be fined less than the taxi fare to and from the pub.
There you go Safe Australia.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Just off topic, I remember a friend of mine in Perth telling me that he had worked out that he could drink and drive, and if caught (providing not drinking enough to be banned) would be fined less than the taxi fare to and from the pub.
Either he still thinks he's in the 80s, taxis in Perth are very expensive or he lives a bloody long way from the pub!

Drink driving penalties - WA Police website
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:20 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately ignorance is not a valid defence, but read this article as there are some interesting points raised - “There's the defence of extraordinary emergency in a life-threatening situation; you are under duress in the extent you need to drive,” he said.

“There could be a mistake of fact, such as inconsistent signage where there used to be a speed limit sign, but the sign had been obscured or removed.”

Mr Meehan said timing was important when providing a defence and advised motorists to complete a statutory declaration with an accurate recount of what, where and to whom the incident occurred as soon as possible.

“The time when that is done is critical, because you don't want a magistrate to suggest it's a recent invention and you made the notes to avoid the charge rather than it be a true and accurate account,” he said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...929-15xap.html
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:41 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest child's school rang me mid-day to tell me she was ill. I honestly thought the speed limit was 60 at that time of the day. I was caught speeding doing 60 in a 50 zone. Then 3 minutes later (when I turned around to go home) was caught once again doing 60 in a 50 zone.

I apparently have made an honest mistake and have no problem paying for one ticket (ticked off that my GPS said it was a 60 zone) but feel like I read somewhere that I might be able to fight the ticket from the same location 3 minutes later. Is this right or am I going to have to pay both tickets?
I understand that what you say appears to have been a genuine mistake.
However, the facts are that you broke the speed limit on 2 separate occasions, albeit same road but different directions, in a residential area.
The mitigation of same road and the 3 minute time span is mute because of the change of direction, the mitigation of GPS showing 60 is also mute as a GPS is a 'guide' not a safety device.
If however there have been previous signs of 60kph in the area you MAY be able to use that but I suspect that you are just not overly familiar with those roads or the Residential Speed Limit ruling.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Why dont you just write to the Council/ State government (whoever issued the fine) and explain your situation. The notice will have a section explaining how to appeal a fine.

See what they say.

If you craft a good letter and get a friendly officer adjudicating it you might be lucky and get one fine redcuced. If not you will get a letter saying "pay both"

You can't just not pay, at the moment you have two tickets and you have to pay both, or have one officially cancelled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.