British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane - Rock radio stations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbane-rock-radio-stations-246503/)

irishmolly Aug 5th 2004 6:04 pm

Brisbane - Rock radio stations

I'm sure this will only appeal to a very small percentage of posters to this forum, but............

We arrive in Brisbane on 30th August, first thing I need to do is find a radio station that plays mainly rock / metal music.

Anyone know of such a radio station ? please make my day and tell me there is.

Mr. irishmolly
(still locked into a timewarp of 1980's heavy metal ):D

The Bloke Aug 5th 2004 8:21 pm

AM***4KQ: classic rock, pop and heavy metal from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's 24 hours. 693 on the dial and live on the web at

www.4kq.com.au

Tuned into car radio 24/7

FM***TRIPLE Z (ZZZ); modern heavy metal ( never listen to it, too punkish/ rap-type and often unintelligible.)

:)

Bix Aug 5th 2004 8:27 pm

Originally posted by The Bloke
never listen to it, too punkish/ rap-type and often unintelligible.
:)
So how do you know then ? :rolleyes: :D

irishmolly Aug 5th 2004 8:45 pm

Originally posted by The Bloke
AM***4KQ: classic rock, pop and heavy metal from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's 24 hours. 693 on the dial and live on the web at

www.4kq.com.au

Tuned into car radio 24/7

Hey Bloke,

Are we talking AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Metallica, Guns n' Roses, Motorhead etc etc on 4KQ ?????????? :)

I'm frothy at the lips already :D I really should get out more often or see a shrink :D

Cheers !

Mr irishmolly

The Bloke Aug 5th 2004 8:54 pm

If you request it and they have it they'd play it. Don't know about Motorhead though, only found out about them myself the other day while watching "The Young Ones" DVD but someone at work had heard of them so you might be lucky. Can now e-mail requests as well as phone and snail-mail

Bix, I'll try anything once>:D

ProofReader Aug 5th 2004 9:11 pm

Originally posted by irishmolly
Are we talking AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Metallica, Guns n' Roses, Motorhead etc etc on 4KQ ?????????? :)
Highly unlikely Molly! You might get a miniscule amount of heavy rock, but mostly 60's and 70's style. I used to be tuned into 4KQ 24/7 (my fave station!) but they don't play much heavy stuff (thank God!!) More likely to hear Hermans Hermits, The Eagles, Queen, Beach Boys, Abba, Billy Joel, Mamas and Papas, etc ... you know, the really good music! ;) :p :D

If you like newer and/or alternative stuff, try Triple J, the uni students favourite station. Most popular rubbish on air atm is probably from B105. Whilst they play some good music sometimes, they have a huge amount of ads and a stupid cartoon character at breakfast time.

If you like the old stuff, 4KQ's your station - or 4BH for easy listening. If not, go for Triple J is my recommendation.

:beer:

JAJ Aug 6th 2004 1:10 am

Re: Brisbane - Rock radio stations

Not an exhaustive list, but maybe of help:
http://www.mikesradioworld.com/oceania.html

Jeremy

Originally posted by irishmolly
I'm sure this will only appeal to a very small percentage of posters to this forum, but............

We arrive in Brisbane on 30th August, first thing I need to do is find a radio station that plays mainly rock / metal music.

Anyone know of such a radio station ? please make my day and tell me there is.

Mr. irishmolly
(still locked into a timewarp of 1980's heavy metal ):D

Peter Aug 6th 2004 4:17 am

4KQ plays 80's metal now? What is this world coming to? It used to be the biggest country music station in Brisbane once upon a time. 4JJJ and 4ZZZ play far too much shoegazing stuff for my liking.

mlbonner Aug 6th 2004 4:20 am

Originally posted by Ulujain
4KQ plays 80's metal now? What is this world coming to? It used to be the biggest country music station in Brisbane once upon a time. 4JJJ and 4ZZZ play far too much shoegazing stuff for my liking.

Aye, Triple M underwent a change this week as well. All in preparation for the new station "Nova". Triple M felt the market would be saturated once they entered so changed direction and target market (slightly).