Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Riverfire 2008

Brisbane Riverfire 2008

Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:52 am
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Brisbane Riverfire 2008

We will be going to our first Riverfire event on Saturday. We currently live in North Lakes so will be either travelling by car to get there or using trains, buses etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations on parking car and getting into the City to watch the fireworks. Or what would be the best way to get there if going in car and parking is not a viable option.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Riverfire 2008

Originally Posted by Willerby_brisbane
We will be going to our first Riverfire event on Saturday. We currently live in North Lakes so will be either travelling by car to get there or using trains, buses etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations on parking car and getting into the City to watch the fireworks. Or what would be the best way to get there if going in car and parking is not a viable option.
Its not actually that bad. We drove 2 yrs ago and parked at my office on wickham terrace - there was lots of parking available. 10 minute walk to southbank

The crowd management was excellent , roads were closed nearby to let the volume of people get through.

Getting there will be ok - leaving will be the nuisance because once its over pretty much everyone goes at same time. Apart from trying to park at southbank itself which I imagine gets chocka if you drive out about 10 minute walk you should be ok finding somewhere. Perhaps roma street station or oneof the car parks around thereand get train over to southbank [ but then you got to squeeze on train on the way back with bazillions of people ]

We sat in south bank and got there late - so sat on the sand on the beach - literally 20 mins before the thing started but got a seat on the sand. People clearly arrive early and mark their pitch and sit on the grass on blankets and stuff but since its all in the sky its quite easy to see.

It is cool - the noise from the plane is superb and the fireworks were excellent. Atmosphere is really good - no alcohol so no trouble all very good.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone allowed to take their boats on the river during the festival? We've thought about going up and it crossed my mind to get the boat in the river and then cruise up and watch from there.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Is anyone allowed to take their boats on the river during the festival? We've thought about going up and it crossed my mind to get the boat in the river and then cruise up and watch from there.
You need a permit to take your boat on the main vantage points and they are all already to gone to private charter operators I think. Check out
http://www.riverfestival.com.au/riverfire/

You could probably get pretty close still though
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
You need a permit to take your boat on the main vantage points and they are all already to gone to private charter operators I think. Check out

You could probably get pretty close still though
Cool thanks for that. Probably won't this year but may consider planning something for next year. Not done any 'night manoeuvres' yet so probably not the best place to start
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Cool thanks for that. Probably won't this year but may consider planning something for next year. Not done any 'night manoeuvres' yet so probably not the best place to start
It was a bit chaotic on the river last year and there was quite a nasty accident so maybe they're limiting the amount of water traffic this year.

Last year was my best Riverfire - left the kids at home with babysitter to watch from our usual vantage point up the top of our street and went into city. We parked in town (hubby had his own carpark in town) and his employer bussed us all over to Kangaroo Point. We had drinks in a private roped off section of the jetty and then had a sit down dinner in the Riverlife Marquee. Then they bussed us all back into town around midnight. It's making me miss Brisbane just thinking about it.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:43 am
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

If we go early in the day into the City how much is parking and where is the best place to go?

Cant you tell we have only just arrived in town.......
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm wondering about the parking as well. We're hoping to head over after the youngest has his nap, so we'll probably get there about 4pm. We're hoping to park at South Bank.

I figure we'll be very early though so even if the lots are full we could just drive a bit farther out.

We've never been yet but I would suggest going onto the website and printing out the lists for road closures and best vantage points. It might make things a bit easier. It's on the right hand side of this page: