Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane River of Fire Festival - it's a must

Wikiposts

Brisbane River of Fire Festival - it's a must

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:45 pm
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane River of Fire Festival - it's a must

For any newly arrived expats living in or around Brisbane, I can't recommend enough the forthcoming River of Fire festival in Brisbane.

The festival itself runs for a week with lots of events. But the main event takes place on Saturday Sept 2nd (early evening if I remember correctly), mainly around Southbank. It's a huge firework show all long the river. It's all free of course and the atmosphere is great. You'll probably be able to find more details on the net or just around Brisbane generally.

Enjoy

Sunshine Sarah
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane River of Fire Festival - it's a must

Thanks Sarah..we will check it out.

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
For any newly arrived expats living in or around Brisbane, I can't recommend enough the forthcoming River of Fire festival in Brisbane.

The festival itself runs for a week with lots of events. But the main event takes place on Saturday Sept 2nd (early evening if I remember correctly), mainly around Southbank. It's a huge firework show all long the river. It's all free of course and the atmosphere is great. You'll probably be able to find more details on the net or just around Brisbane generally.

Enjoy

Sunshine Sarah
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Hi
I agree the fireworks are great, but i felt like a sardine last year when i went. Along southbank it is so crowded it actually gets pretty scary as you are swept along with the crowds whether you want to go or not. I really would not like to take small kids with me (mine are all teenagers). Or if i did i would need to find somewhere different to stand.
Watched it on tv the year before & saw more of the fireworks!!
wendy
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:54 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
Hi
I agree the fireworks are great, but i felt like a sardine last year when i went. Along southbank it is so crowded it actually gets pretty scary as you are swept along with the crowds whether you want to go or not. I really would not like to take small kids with me (mine are all teenagers). Or if i did i would need to find somewhere different to stand.
wendy
Go to Eagle St. Pier. You can park right there and you get to see the fireworks on the Story Bridge.

Jane
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

We didn't fancy the crowds last year so watched from the park at the top of Hampstead Road, corner Dornoch Terrace, Highgate Hill. Loads of people were there, took blankets to sit on and eskies. Loved the jet
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

katcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud of

Hi
wendy
I agree!! We went in a big group last year and it was difficult keeping together, felt very closed in and it took us ages to get back into the city. The fireworks were fab like but this time i think we will find a quiet little spot with a good view away from the crowds.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Hubby and I went last year, we were very chuffed to be invited on a boat that belonged to a work mate of Kev's at the time. It was absolutely bloody fantastic, however, towards the end of the evening it was really cold, took ages to get back to shore (in a dingy). Then to make matters worse we got on the wrong train back to Cleveland LOL - long story short - got in at gone 2am!!!!

That being said, I thought it was worth it. Not sure where we'll try to watch from this year, try to avoid the crowds but do want to be there.

I would give this a go.

Tracey
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

eddie scrafton is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll definitely have to check this out.

I seem to remember someone else telling us all about this. Can't think who?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:46 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Brisbane River of Fire Festival - it's a must

Hi
wendy
Is it more crowded than New Year didn't find it to bad at those fireworks?