Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Raby Bay, Cleveland, Victoria Point

Brisbane - Raby Bay, Cleveland, Victoria Point

Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Geez, I must have been slipping, only ABC got mentioned, Ive been recommending Samford to too many people .

Diddy, most of us that live down Bayside love it down here for many reasons (including but certainly not restricted to the weather!) .

Have sent you a PM .
No offence meant Mrs D, it was just the mention of Vic Point that made me think of ABC, thought you were more Wynnum/Manly way!

Big hugs to say sorry!

Sandy
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a twist to the topic

Sorry for the slight u turn in this topic.

I was wondering if any of you were aware of any areas/suburbs arround Brisbane (upto 50-60KMs awaymax) away that are inland rather than on the water front or beach line that were nice areas. We're not big beach people so are not overly bothered with living near it.

My wife and I are looking to to make the move in Feb/march next year, just waiting for the final yes at the moment.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future
Default Brisbane

15 minutes from Capalaba to Fortitude valley!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:

I can do Cleveland to the Airport in 27 minutes and I don't hang around....but 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now I know who nearly took me off the road

I think Surfdude sums up the area quite well, but there are also good areas to the north (Albany creek, Eaton Hills, Ferny hills, the Gap. You have Sanford in the mountains and you have Deadcliffe by the sea to the North.)

I'll keep repeating this because I do think that people get confused about Brisbane and where it is in relation to the coast.

Bayside does not mean 'surf beaches'. Its more like a big lake. If you feel that this is a major criteria....and some people do, then realistically you have to look at the Gold coast or Bribie island to live. The CBD can still be commuted to, but expect about an hour. A lot of people do travel the distance because they believe that it is worth it.

For those of you planning to come to Brisbane, my advice is to base yourself centrally for the first two weeks, There are lots and lots of hotels and serviced apartments in the centre of Brisbane and use that time to visit the Gold coast, redlands and the areas to the north before deciding.

You are planning to live here permanently so spend a few weeks looking the place over.

Nick
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:49 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for all this info guys.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Brisbane - Raby Bay, Cleveland, Victoria Point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It's cheaper than Sydney

Not heard from you for a while. What classes are the boys in at Sheldon.
email me if you like. My daughter is in year 3.

Sorry, so busy like all new migrants ! The boys are in year 5 and 9. They have settled in so well, thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: a twist to the topic

Originally posted by asfry
Sorry for the slight u turn in this topic.

I was wondering if any of you were aware of any areas/suburbs arround Brisbane (upto 50-60KMs awaymax) away that are inland rather than on the water front or beach line that were nice areas. We're not big beach people so are not overly bothered with living near it.

My wife and I are looking to to make the move in Feb/march next year, just waiting for the final yes at the moment.

Try Carindale or Carina/Carina heights, nice places closer to the city but coast is easy to access.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sandy LOL I was being my usual smartarse self, definitely no need for apologies .

Asfry, there are plenty of nice areas in Brisbane, if you give us an idea of price bracket, amenities you need, whether you need to commute & the sort of housing you want we can make some suggestions.

If you just want some general views, try these threads

know anything about brisbane?

Whhere to Live - opinions from the forum - this has a document in it posted by Pete which lists many Brisbane suburbs that have been discussed on expats

Manly West - I did a post on some other nice areas along the river as well as Manly

Help - some other suggestions for nice areas in Brisbane

To be honest 50-60 kms is a huge huge area, that takes you half way or more to both the Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast! Most of those suggestions are close to the city (within 20-25kms, usually less), you'll have to narrow it down or you will spend months just finding a list of places .
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:43 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,

How do I find/ look at this info and these threads in say two or three weeks time?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Asfry, there are plenty of nice areas in Brisbane, if you give us an idea of price bracket, amenities you need, whether you need to commute & the sort of housing you want we can make some suggestions.

If you just want some general views, try these threads
Thanks for those links MrsDagboy. I had a feeling I'd need to narrow down a lot more. Unfortunately, as myself and wife are still relatively young (late 20's) we are at the bottom of the financial ladder so to speak and will probably only be able to afford a property in the $200k to 225K region max. Depends on what mortgage they'll give us. No outright buying for us sadly.

I'll probably have to commute as I'm in IT, my wife is a primary teacher. Anthing upto an hours commute would be acceptable if this helps narrow down things.

We don't really want anywhere too busy, somewhere nice n quiet but close to most ammenities but not in the middle of nowhere.

Does this help at all?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:20 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane

Originally posted by Sharpy67
15 minutes from Capalaba to Fortitude valley!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:

I can do Cleveland to the Airport in 27 minutes and I don't hang around....but 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now I know who nearly took me off the road
But Wynnum to Victoria Point at rush hour takes her between 30 and 45 minutes.

That 15 minute trip was on a Saturday. I am going to have to try it myself just out of curiosity. PS, I rarely let her drive my car, mine's got a bigger engine !!

Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:24 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by diddy
Guys,

How do I find/ look at this info and these threads in say two or three weeks time?

Cheers,

Paul.
In My Forum you will see you are already 'subscribed to this thread' so you could just look back in 3 weeks and click on it.

An easier way is to visit the sites now through the links and when you're there click on 'Favorites' and then 'add to favorites.
You can then check them out at your leisure

Good luck
Old Jul 7th 2004, 4:11 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 12:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Sandy.l
No offence meant Mrs D, it was just the mention of Vic Point that made me think of ABC, thought you were more Wynnum/Manly way!

Big hugs to say sorry!

Sandy
Sandy, Just re-reading some old threads, and thought I'd say thanks for mentioning my name

When and where is it that you will be ending up when you get here in QLD ?