Reload this Page >

brisbane or queensland?

Wikiposts

brisbane or queensland?

Old Apr 13th 2003, 10:12 am
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default brisbane or queensland?

hi guys/gals went to the sandown exhibition ,hung around the queensland stall,very popular,managed to get a magazine ,the wife ,stephanie, looked very perplexed said WHAT YOU GOT THAT FOR!!Im only interested in Brisbane! she then told me that she had done 18 months research on oz ,its just nice to know that you people are switched on and know whats going on,bye the way we are stuck between brisbane and perth?
Old Apr 13th 2003, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Hi
Can't give you much advise about Perth, but we moved to Brisbane at the of January (from Hamworthy in Poole). We live in the bayside region in a suburb called Ormiston.
There is so much around the Brisbane area it is hard to know where to start. From where we are it is about an hours drive to either the Sunshine coast (north) or the Gold Coast (South). This may sound quite a drive but the roads are so large (mainly 4 lane on the highway) that driving is much easier. Plus so few cars on the road not half as stressful as the UK.
The center of Brisbane is pretty much what you would expect from anywhere with all the big financial institutions, shopping, oh and the large man made lagoon which brings the beach to the city.
We love the area, and think it was a great choice to bring up our young son as we can take him to the beach one day and the mountains the next!
Queensland is a huge state with lots of choice, it all depends what you are looking for and where you can find work.
If you want to know any more let me know.
Cheers
Annie
Old Apr 13th 2003, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kango_jack
Hi
From where we are it is about an hours drive to either the Sunshine coast (north) or the Gold Coast (South). This may sound quite a drive but the roads are so large (mainly 4 lane on the highway) that driving is much easier.

Sorry to disagree here, I have driven heaps in OZ. Most are certainly NOT 4 lane Highways. Where you live between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, the roads were recently upgraded to 4 lanes. Most of the way to the Sunshine Coast is one lane tho! Also the stretch between Bris/Gold Coast is one of the busiest in QLD for commuters but is the big tourist strip hence the upgrade. Please dont give the impression 4 lanes is normal it simply is not correct.

If you get outside of the tourist strip where you have fluked 4 lanes you will see for yourself this is not true.

Try Brisbane to Sun Coast this long weekend, it will probably take you best part of daylight to get there! Try Brisbane inner City any rush hour I believe Gridlock is the current phrase for it.

Sorry to correct you but it really give the wrong impression on roads here which are often terrible and unlit due to the lack of funds from the taxpayer to support such a huge road network.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dotty
Sorry to disagree here, I have driven heaps in OZ. Most are certainly NOT 4 lane Highways. Where you live between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, the roads were recently upgraded to 4 lanes. Most of the way to the Sunshine Coast is one lane tho! Also the stretch between Bris/Gold Coast is one of the busiest in QLD for commuters but is the big tourist strip hence the upgrade. Please dont give the impression 4 lanes is normal it simply is not correct.

If you get outside of the tourist strip where you have fluked 4 lanes you will see for yourself this is not true.

Try Brisbane to Sun Coast this long weekend, it will probably take you best part of daylight to get there! Try Brisbane inner City any rush hour I believe Gridlock is the current phrase for it.

Sorry to correct you but it really give the wrong impression on roads here which are often terrible and unlit due to the lack of funds from the taxpayer to support such a huge road network.
4 lane roads are indeed rare in Queensland - but I drive every day in inner city Brisane (in rush hour) and I've seen 4 real 'gridlocks' in over 4 years - 2 due to accidents on the Expressway/Captian Cook Bridge - and 2 due to a massive thunderstorm. Not quite the same as the traffic in Manchester or London. You do get rush-hour traffic here but the the traffic is still much less compared to the UK. However, the distances between the city and the suburbs are deceptively huge - so you may end up driving for a long time anyway.

In general, the main roads are of very good condition in general (especially in the cties) but older 'side' roads and most 'country' roads are of a much poorer conditoin. That's why so many people own 4x4 or utes here.

AndyH.

Last edited by jah4reds; Apr 13th 2003 at 4:55 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 4:49 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Bloody Hell Dotty, always with the boots!

Of course, you conveniently forgot to tell 'em to take the billy and tea. Plenty o' nice quite places on the road side to stop for a smoko and a cuppa on the way home from being milked. Who cares if you get to your destination or not, it's the journey that counts.

Also some of the newer cars have been fitted with forward pointing remote control lamps, makes it easier to find run down the evenings dinner on the way home.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:12 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

uh? Has Brisbane become a state over night. I don't get the thread - Brisbane or Queensland?

Anyway, I'm reading rubbish about no traffic jams - are you living in Brisbane , no traffic jams?? lol - try driving towards the gateway (going south) at 7 in the morning, oh I love doing 30 k's in the morning I don't think, Or try driving back from the sunshine coast at weekends - try it at 5pm or 6pm. you'll be at standstill on the motorway at this time on a sat or a sunday.

My thinking is : there's a free road in front of "you", but look behind you - you're holding the rest of us poor people up behind you. Make no mistake the driving in Australia is bad, how on earth half of them pass their test I never know.

Yes it is no where as near as bad as London - but few places are as bad for traffic as London - in the western world.

Oh well

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 13th 2003 at 5:35 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
uh? Has Brisbane become a state over night. I don't get the thread - Brisbane or Queensland?

Anyway, I'm reading rubbish about no traffic jams - are you living in Brisbane , no traffic jams?? lol - try driving towards the gateway (going south) at 7 in the morning, oh I love doing 30 k's in the morning I don't think, Or try driving back from the sunshine coast at weekends - try it at 5pm or 6pm. you'll be at standstill on the motorway at this time on a sat or a sunday.

My thinking is : there's a free road in front of "you", but look behind you - you're holding the rest of us poor people up behind you. Make no mistake the driving in Australia is bad, how on earth half of them pass their test I never know.

Yes it is no where as near as bad as London - but few places are as bad for traffic as London - in the western world.

Oh well

cheers
Who are responding to?

Please point out the post that says there are no traffic jams.

I can't see any in this thread.

AndyH
Old Apr 13th 2003, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm starting to remember why I stopped looking at the Forum now - you get completely slated if you say anything positive!
OK I admit 4 lanes are when heading south, and yes I don't tend to drive into the city at 7 am (thats why we live near a railway station).
We come from the south coast of the Uk, you couldn't move on the roads from about April to September - you certainly wouldn't have dreamed of heading to one of the popular beaches unless you set of at 6 am. To get to anywhere was a nightmare as lots of small roads, especially if you wanted to head west.
We easily made it to Noosa a few weekends ago in 1and 1/2 hours, can't go there this weekend as we are away at the Gold Coast!
I apologise if my views upset people, they are afterall my views and experiences - I haven't been here long and so I don't assume I know everything. Just trying to help!
Annie
Old Apr 13th 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

You are entitled to your opinion as you see it. Some people just enjoy exploiting those who choose to write positvie threads.

Don`t avoid the forum because of a minority your opinions could be helpful to people wishing to immigrate so keep them coming.

footie chick
Old Apr 13th 2003, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stating that 4 lane highways in QLD are rare as hens teeth is not an attack on anyone. Just a correction on information that was based on one 40 minute stretch of road.

As for Traffic Jams, try Easter weekend it takes hours to get anywhere just like in the UK. Brisbane to Sun Coast usually 1hr20mins took us over 4 hours last year. Same problems but hotter.

Anyway safe thoughts for the traffic on the roads this Easter wherever you are.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Dotty,

Hows it going, still spreading positive vibes I see, did you see the article in the weekends Courier Mail about how Ipswich is taking off? It was you who merrily slagged it off wasnt it? Think you said it was the only area with no growth.
I know you like to base your valuable opinions on research you carry out from the local rags, as opposed to actually getting out there and seeing it for yourself.

Booked your flight to the UK yet?

Chris.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chris
Hey Dotty,

Hows it going, still spreading positive vibes I see, did you see the article in the weekends Courier Mail about how Ipswich is taking off? It was you who merrily slagged it off wasnt it? Think you said it was the only area with no growth.
I know you like to base your valuable opinions on research you carry out from the local rags, as opposed to actually getting out there and seeing it for yourself.

Chris.
hi, we are debating whether to live in ipswich, is it as bad as what they say??????
we visited last year, and really liked it.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am afraid I have to agree with Dotty - we recently tried to drive 18 kms to Brisbane airport at 7.30 a.m. and it took us 2.5 hours - an accident on the Gateway Bridge caused TOTAL GRIDLOCK. Volume of traffic here is VERY VERY HIGH.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Chris
Hey Dotty,

Chris.

Chris, is that the same old chris, I think you know what I mean.

Did a search on Ipswich, my posts on it were actually fairly nice compared to some of them by others, and no not once did i say it was the only area with no growth.

Let the punters make their own minds up, type in www.realestate.com.au and go to Ipswich
Old Apr 14th 2003, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Annie,

Glad to hear you are all settled. We will be moving to Queensland soon although not sure where. Intend to do alot of travelling along various types of roads and visit various different areas to find one which appeals to us.

Would be nice to hear more about how things are going and how the little one is getting on.

Pott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.