Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane petrol prices - up and down ?

Brisbane petrol prices - up and down ?

Old Sep 26th 2004, 2:26 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Brisbane petrol prices - up and down ?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you get enough into the tank it builds up in the carbs and eventually you will get a problem as the car won't run right.
Wow Poll..that's EXACTLY what happened

Took the garage ages to fathom it out.....you're wasted.....you should ave been a mechanic

Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:40 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No probs, amazing what you remember from a job years ago, isn't it. There was a garage up the road from ours that had numerous complaints about water in the petrol, and it was caused by old leaky tanks. I would hazard a guess that with the power of the rain here,when it really comes down hard, there is a reasonable chance of water getting in to some tanks.
Also - if you fill up your car when it raining, you will always get a couple of drops of water blowing in or dropping off the cap - and think about it - you stop in a rain storm, if take off the filler cap, put it on the car roof, fill the car then replace it - haow much water has blown onto that cap? Not much, but it shows how difficult it is to keep any water out.

If you get enough into the tank it builds up in the carbs and eventually you will get a problem as the car won't run right.

Mark - you mention the difference between Brisbane andSydney; that has somethingto do with state tx on fuel I believe. Brisbanes prices are crazy, changing several times a day.
As for LPG - one of the things that I picked up working at RACQ is that LPG is OK if you drive in areas where it is available. So if you decide to go down that route, find outabout availability - once you get away from the cities I believe you could have problems. Also the guys used to advise that it is not likely to be a viable option long-term due to the small number of people using it, and the same thing again - lack of suppliers.
Thanks for the Info Polly.

It used to be harder to get in the UK, but due to it being cheeper it's becomming more popular.
It's a question of cost driving motorists to reduce costs, not that I have one though
It also gets around the London conjestion charge

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by markeh
When I was up in Brisbane & drove down to Sydney I noticed that Brisbane was cheeper. I never noticed the prices going up at weekends, but then again I didn't stop in one place long enough!
Mark
The Queensland Goverenment gives an 8.4c per litre subsidy to keep petrol prices lower for us.

Retailers receive the subsidy as 8.40 cpl. The retailer must pass on 8.354 cpl to the customer but may retain the difference ie 0.046 cpl, to cover holding costs. The subsidy reduced prices by 9.2 cpl (rounded to one decimal point) once associated GST savings were included.
http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/gas/fuel/
http://www.caltex.com.au/pricing_pla_qldfuel.asp

Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We have noticed some wildly different prices.

The cheapest we have seen has been around 86.9c on Friday. On Saturday it was 99.6c and today it's 96.9c - then there is the 4c coupon for shopping at Coles/Woolies.

$100 fills my Prado about 3/4 full and that lasts for about 800k's - better than my Jeep in the UK which was £55 every week that lasted for 400k's

Let's hope the price of crude drops soon
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:54 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Was advised against using cheap petrol as sometimes garages here put petrol prices down when nearing the end of a barrel .....and they add water to it, hence lower price

Don't know knack all about petrol / water and effects on cars.....however am now cautious of getting cheap petrol here
Petrol floats on water doubt whether this happens, another urban myth

PJ
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:57 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Every time I've been to Brisbeane the petrol prices have fluctuated daily!1 sometimes twice a day there is a Shell Garage in Karalee that used to make me laugh as you went past in the morning ther was one price and in the evening there was another

PJ

The problems with carbs etc all down to detergents at woolies etc some fuel additives will sort!!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:10 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

We always tried to remember to fill up in Brisbane at the begining of the week as it was always cheaper. The radio stations used to announce where the cheapest petrol was. I remember one Friday we would go down to Springwood to Ikea on the way we passed a petrol station whose petrol was a good price thought we must stop there on the way back as we were getting low. Going home an hour later pulled up at garrage to find since we had passed earlier price had gone up 10c!!! knew we should have stopped earlier. Story of my life that

Susan
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:52 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1

PJ
Why would it be an urban myth? All liquids have different densities, lighter density liquids will sit on top of higher density liquids. Haven't you seen those stripy cocktails or oil floating on water?

Density of water 1000Kg/m^3

Density of petrol 737 Kg/m^3

ergo petrol floats on water.

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_liquids.htm
Old Sep 28th 2004, 4:01 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Jacko1

PJ
OK....maybe I made it up as I've noting better to do

Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:35 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Originally Posted by jayr
Why would it be an urban myth? All liquids have different densities, lighter density liquids will sit on top of higher density liquids. Haven't you seen those stripy cocktails or oil floating on water?

Density of water 1000Kg/m^3

Density of petrol 737 Kg/m^3

ergo petrol floats on water.

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_liquids.htm

I meant petrol does float on water, you are unlikely to fill up with a mixture of both as the water would settle to the bottom of the site storage tanks!! which incidently do contain water as the tanks condensate etc.

PJ
Old Sep 28th 2004, 8:19 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

There's a low concentration of water in all petrol. Condensation from humid air can cause a slow buildup of water in petrol tanks. In aviation, water in avgas is a great concern - small amounts coming out of solution or condensing in the tanks have cause loss of power while in flight. Pilots always test drain the tanks immediately before take off.

Perhaps this is really about the dilution of petrol, which is excise taxed, with toluene, benzene, xylene or some other non-excise taxed "solvent". Often the case with cheap petrol retailers.