Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane petrol prices - up and down ?

Brisbane petrol prices - up and down ?

Old Sep 25th 2004, 7:52 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane petrol prices - up and down ?

I passed several petrol stations on the way into Brisbane city this morning and the price has risen around 19c per litre overnight ?

Yesterday it was around 84c per litre, this morning it was $1.03 per litre. The prices have fluctuated up and down on a daily basis recently.

One thing I must add is that the petrol stations do reduce the prices as world oil prices changes which is honest enough.

Woolworths petrol seems cheapest especially using the 4c per litre discount when you have spent over $30 in their grocery store.

Mr irishmolly
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:05 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane petrol prices - up and down ?

Originally Posted by irishmolly
I passed several petrol stations on the way into Brisbane city this morning and the price has risen around 19c per litre overnight ?

Yesterday it was around 84c per litre, this morning it was $1.03 per litre. The prices have fluctuated up and down on a daily basis recently.

One thing I must add is that the petrol stations do reduce the prices as world oil prices changes which is honest enough.

Woolworths petrol seems cheapest especially using the 4c per litre discount when you have spent over $30 in their grocery store.

Mr irishmolly
I read on here recently (from ABCDiamond I think) about the petrol stations putting prices up at weekends! Seems like an interesting way to keep people out of their cars. "We'll let you use it for work but screw you on the weekend when it's for pleasure". Better than being screwed constantly anyway
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:53 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by wmoore
I read on here recently (from ABCDiamond I think) about the petrol stations putting prices up at weekends! Seems like an interesting way to keep people out of their cars. "We'll let you use it for work but screw you on the weekend when it's for pleasure". Better than being screwed constantly anyway
Was advised against using cheap petrol as sometimes garages here put petrol prices down when nearing the end of a barrel .....and they add water to it, hence lower price

Don't know knack all about petrol / water and effects on cars.....however am now cautious of getting cheap petrol here

Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Was advised against using cheap petrol as sometimes garages here put petrol prices down when nearing the end of a barrel .....and they add water to it, hence lower price

Don't know knack all about petrol / water and effects on cars.....however am now cautious of getting cheap petrol here
I'm not sure that it happens these days, but I do know that it used to ! At least it did at my local garage back in the UK The fines these days are enough to stop anyone doing it unless they are desperate or mugs. I feel sure that the big players wouldn't even consider it now.

The constant price changes here relate to the subsidies given by the petrol companies. Our area tends to have price drops on Tuesday/Wednesday, but this weekends rise is due to the record price of World Oil this weekend.

One tank of petrol normally lasts me for 1 week, so I am normally OK, and fill up at the low prices. But, I remember when I came out here in 1986, and I am sure it was 35c litre back then !!

Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Mr irishmolly
I cant wait to be watching the Brsbane petrol prices I am confident of one thing they will always be less than here in sunny (I wish )manchester
Old Sep 25th 2004, 10:38 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'm not sure that it happens these days, but I do know that it used to ! At least it did at my local garage back in the UK The fines these days are enough to stop anyone doing it unless they are desperate or mugs. I feel sure that the big players wouldn't even consider it now.

The constant price changes here relate to the subsidies given by the petrol companies. Our area tends to have price drops on Tuesday/Wednesday, but this weekends rise is due to the record price of World Oil this weekend.

One tank of petrol normally lasts me for 1 week, so I am normally OK, and fill up at the low prices. But, I remember when I came out here in 1986, and I am sure it was 35c litre back then !!
We were given the water in fuel advice by a garage after our car had problems associated with fuel injection

Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:11 pm
ABCDiamond

We were given the water in fuel advice by a garage after our car had problems associated with fuel injection
I give up with Garages. My Daewoo had a running problem recently, running rough and not always starting. The Daewoo dealer had it in a couple of times, but couldnt fix it, said I needed a new control computer at about $2,000, Four weeks out of warranty !! That cost me about $200 without a fix.
The local "LubeMobile" people looked at it, adjusted and lubricated a cable connection to the fuel control, and it's all OK now Cost $40

Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marysidey
I cant wait to be watching the Brsbane petrol prices I am confident of one thing they will always be less than here in sunny (I wish )manchester
They may be less, but chances are your car will be bigger and your distances further. It evens itself out IMO
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:16 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely a huge company like Woolworths and Shell (Coles petrol partner) wouldn't mix water with petrol ?

There are surely regulations and such like that demand petrol be os a certan standard and quality ?

You got me worried, I'm gonna ask around and if this is the case buy petrol elewhere.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:42 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Surely a huge company like Woolworths and Shell (Coles petrol partner) wouldn't mix water with petrol ?

There are surely regulations and such like that demand petrol be os a certan standard and quality ?

You got me worried, I'm gonna ask around and if this is the case buy petrol elewhere.
I agree irishmolly.........I would have thought the bigger garages were more careful so we now buy our petrol there too

Please don't be startled by this though.... it's only what we've been told, there's no evidence on our part except our car had probs which the garage said were associated with cheap petrol and water in it

Old Sep 26th 2004, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

I don't believe that its possible to mix water and petrol. I am sure that if you added water to petrol, the petrol would just lie on top as it's lighter than water.

If water were added to petrol then when you pump it into your car, you're either going to get neat petrol or neat water depending on where the pump takes it's suction from in the underground tank. If you want to split hairs then if the level at which the water and petrol seperates in the tank happens to be level with the pump suction, then you would get a mixture of both. However it would then seperate in your car petrol tank and you would very soon get neat water in your engine and it would stop. So if any petrol stations try this then they will very soon be in The Poo as several irate motorists are going to have something to say to them.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:37 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for a service station in the uk, and I remember that it is possible for water to be in the petrol without the garage really knowing about it. If you buy from a large station you should be OK because of their turnover, but smaller garages may suffer from condensation building up in the tanks. Also, if the tanks are old, there is a posibility that they may lek and rain may get in.
So if you think you have water in your fuel, report it to the fuel company.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:46 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I used to work for a service station in the uk, and I remember that it is possible for water to be in the petrol without the garage really knowing about it. If you buy from a large station you should be OK because of their turnover, but smaller garages may suffer from condensation building up in the tanks. Also, if the tanks are old, there is a posibility that they may lek and rain may get in.
Hiya Polly,
Water would cause you to grind to a halt if it built up enough.

When I was up in Brisbane & drove down to Sydney I noticed that Brisbane was cheeper. I never noticed the prices going up at weekends, but then again I didn't stop in one place long enough!

Has anyone gone down the LPG route?

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:47 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Cheers for that Poll...I knew I hadn't imagined the conversation

Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:38 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that Poll...I knew I hadn't imagined the conversation
No probs, amazing what you remember from a job years ago, isn't it. There was a garage up the road from ours that had numerous complaints about water in the petrol, and it was caused by old leaky tanks. I would hazard a guess that with the power of the rain here,when it really comes down hard, there is a reasonable chance of water getting in to some tanks.
Also - if you fill up your car when it raining, you will always get a couple of drops of water blowing in or dropping off the cap - and think about it - you stop in a rain storm, if take off the filler cap, put it on the car roof, fill the car then replace it - haow much water has blown onto that cap? Not much, but it shows how difficult it is to keep any water out.

If you get enough into the tank it builds up in the carbs and eventually you will get a problem as the car won't run right.

Mark - you mention the difference between Brisbane andSydney; that has somethingto do with state tx on fuel I believe. Brisbanes prices are crazy, changing several times a day.
As for LPG - one of the things that I picked up working at RACQ is that LPG is OK if you drive in areas where it is available. So if you decide to go down that route, find outabout availability - once you get away from the cities I believe you could have problems. Also the guys used to advise that it is not likely to be a viable option long-term due to the small number of people using it, and the same thing again - lack of suppliers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.