Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Perth

Brisbane or Perth

Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all
Default Brisbane or Perth

As your probably aware my intentions have been to move to Perth and I have probably sickened you with lots of questions and of course your advice has been extremely valuable - thanks.
However, I was asked last night if I wanted a job as a Personal Trainer in Brisbane where potentially I could earn good money apparently. I could still conduct casual teaching work like in Perth but obviously it would be financially helpful.
Question is because I know very little about Brisbane I wondered whether you would be so kind to share your opinions ie which is the better place to live and why?
The fact it's on the East side near to other major areas I apreciate is a bonus.

Note: we would like to be reasonably close to a beach (20 minutes), good parks and schools (3 kids under 6)

Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane or Perth

There are no beaches within 20 minutes of Brisbane.

The nearest decent beaches are on the Gold coast or Bribie Island and they are at least 45 minutes away depending where you live in Brisbane,

there are afew poxy little beaches in places like Bayside or Redcliffe way but these are on Moreton bay not on the ocean proper.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:51 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling

The nearest decent beaches are on the Gold coast or Bribie Island and they are at least 45 minutes away depending where you live in Brisbane,

there are afew poxy little beaches in places like Bayside or Redcliffe way but these are on Moreton bay not on the ocean proper.
I would agree a proper beach then south or north of brisbane at least 45min to a hour, it is very difficult to say good or bad about brisbane, but it is getting very expensive on every day living, we know a personal trainer and he charges any where from $15p/h to $45 p/h and there are plenty around
all the best with you personal choice
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever answers you get will not be that helpful really.
Each person feels differently about each place, so you will get very different replys, some will love perth some will hate it.
It will come down to what you feel like when you get there, the kind of vibe you get from the places.

Perhaps try one for a few years then try the other. Thats what I did. I tried adelaide for a couple years then came to perth and have been here for just over 2 years.

Out of the two I personally prefer perth, the beaches, great roads, spread out style and many more reasons, it just feels right to me, what you will think depends on you
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can find work, Sunshine Coast mate. Lovely up there and some of the best beaches going. G is right about Bris, no proper beaches but I'm sure that ABC's favourite pic will be trotted out soon!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
As your probably aware my intentions have been to move to Perth and I have probably sickened you with lots of questions and of course your advice has been extremely valuable - thanks.
However, I was asked last night if I wanted a job as a Personal Trainer in Brisbane where potentially I could earn good money apparently. I could still conduct casual teaching work like in Perth but obviously it would be financially helpful.
Question is because I know very little about Brisbane I wondered whether you would be so kind to share your opinions ie which is the better place to live and why?
The fact it's on the East side near to other major areas I apreciate is a bonus.

Note: we would like to be reasonably close to a beach (20 minutes), good parks and schools (3 kids under 6)

Thanks
Perth
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

If I could get work up there I would move to the Sunshine Coast too. But back to reality and I like both places having lived in Brisbane for over two years and Perth now for just 6 months. Obviously I know Brissie better and I would say that compared to Perth its public transport (buses, trains and ferries) is better, its proximity to useable beaches is worse than Perth as is its proximity to airports, shopping malls are open 7-days in Brisbane, the car market is bigger in Brisbane but the cost of living in Perth is higher now than it has ever been and is ranked equal to Melbourne.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Both would have good parks and schools. Given your only other criteria we know about is 20 mins to good beach then I would say Perth, or Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast. Brisbane's Redcliffe has some ok bayside beaches (flat so good for little kids) and is an up and coming nice place. It also has foreshore water pools and parks. Is about 10 mins drive to train station and then 35 mins into brisbane cbd on the train. Brisbane's best beach is this one http://www.buyya.com/CCGrid2001/southbank.jpg

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 21st 2010 at 2:15 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for the Sunshine Coast. The lifestyle is great - living 5 mins drive from the beach doesnt cost anything and its a great place to bring up kids. However, the downside is finding work - there are a few of my friends who have trades and are doing a little more basic jobs to bring in a wage - most are happy but it is something to consider.x

There are good schools around here too for the kids and you can choose between smaller schools or the larger Mountain Creek school for example.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:22 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sportsendurance

Thanks
You say you like the east side of OZ, theres also Places in NSW and VIC close to the beach with good parks and schools.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if this helps but here goes;

Brisbane - lovely place, we went to the gold coast for 2 weeks, and ok its a bit of a drive from brisbane but it's well worth it! There's lots of beautiful mountains, beaches, and you have the theme parks all at easy reach. You also can drive (albeit for like a whole day) to Sydney. You're only a short flight away from the great barrier reef, and melbourne.
We're about 40 mins from the beach in Wales, i'll quite happily drive 40 mins in oz to a really nice beach!

My cousins grew up in Perth, and although it was great for them when they were younger they all hate it now. They say there's nothing to do and it's miles away from all the other "happening" cities.

That's why i'm looking at bringing my kids up on the Gold Coast and not Perth.

We're all different though, I've always got giddy when thinking about brisbane and the gold coast, and yet others see the gates of surfers and cringe!

Good luck with your decision
Jen
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you been offered a job in Perth aswell?????

If not, as already said why give Brisbane a go initally and take a holiday to Perth and look at the job market/houses/areas etc etc. That way you will be making a more informed choice

Sorry if this doesn't help
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Coppock
Not sure if this helps but here goes;

Brisbane - lovely place, we went to the gold coast for 2 weeks, and ok its a bit of a drive from brisbane but it's well worth it! There's lots of beautiful mountains, beaches, and you have the theme parks all at easy reach. You also can drive (albeit for like a whole day) to Sydney. You're only a short flight away from the great barrier reef, and melbourne.
We're about 40 mins from the beach in Wales, i'll quite happily drive 40 mins in oz to a really nice beach!

My cousins grew up in Perth, and although it was great for them when they were younger they all hate it now. They say there's nothing to do and it's miles away from all the other "happening" cities.

That's why i'm looking at bringing my kids up on the Gold Coast and not Perth.

We're all different though, I've always got giddy when thinking about brisbane and the gold coast, and yet others see the gates of surfers and cringe!

Good luck with your decision
Jen
Hi Jen

Was reading through this thread and noticed you were from Wrexham.

My husband and I (and our 2 and a half year old daughter) have been thinking of moving to Oz for 3 years now and have finally decided to do something about it! In Jan we spent 3 weeks in Perth (my sister lives there). As much as we loved it and enjoyed our time there we did have this feeling of isolation. We literally did everything that Perth has to offer in those 3 weeks. I always fancied Brisbane/Gold Coast however having my sister in Perth I thought that it would be the better option.

We now know that Australia is definitely for us however we feel that Perth is not :-(. It's good to hear that you liked the Gold Coast are their any areas you can recommend? A nice place to bring up children?

Thanks
Colette
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dave99
Whatever answers you get will not be that helpful really.
Each person feels differently about each place, so you will get very different replys, some will love perth some will hate it.
It will come down to what you feel like when you get there, the kind of vibe you get from the places.

Perhaps try one for a few years then try the other. Thats what I did. I tried adelaide for a couple years then came to perth and have been here for just over 2 years.

Out of the two I personally prefer perth, the beaches, great roads, spread out style and many more reasons, it just feels right to me, what you will think depends on you
Good Post

Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling

With 3 kids under 6, I would feel safer with them playing on the Brisbane or Bayside Beaches than in the surf at Gold Coast or Surfers.

That was one of my reasons for choosing this location. Poxy to you, but young kids are happy with them.
And with Surfers only 45 minutes away.. no problems

Brisbane Beaches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.