Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brisbane or perth?

brisbane or perth?

Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of
Default Re: brisbane or perth?

What's the matter with Sydney?!!
Most beautiful harbour in the world (ok I'm biased), great all year round temperature, low unemployment (particularly in the expanding Northwest region) great base for visiting the rest of Oz (except for our most isolated capital city- Perth!) and with a median home price now only marginally dearer than Perth, I think it's a great place to live!

My second choice, however, would have to be Brisbane. Nice city, big country town feel, close to some of the most gorgeous beaches in the world, and lower house prices. Can get ferally hot in summer, though. Make sure you get a place with air con, at the very least.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacque
Most beautiful harbour in the world (ok I'm biased), great all year round temperature, low unemployment (particularly in the expanding Northwest region) great base for visiting the rest of Oz (except for our most isolated capital city- Perth!) and with a median home price now only marginally dearer than Perth, I think it's a great place to live!
Totally agree but relatively few people come here - compared to Perth and Brisbane.

You have to look at what they get for their median house price - in Perth they'd get a newish 4x2, 20 minutes from the beach. In Sydney, the median house price will get you a newish 4x2 way out in the flat, hot western suburbs a long way from any sand!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:12 pm
helsbels1975

helsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: brisbane or perth?

Hi guys, its not that we don't want sydney its just that OH has a cousin in Perth so that is the main reason. I have a friend in Sydney.
Please don't take it personal xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:14 pm
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NickyC
Totally agree but relatively few people come here - compared to Perth and Brisbane.

You have to look at what they get for their median house price - in Perth they'd get a newish 4x2, 20 minutes from the beach. In Sydney, the median house price will get you a newish 4x2 way out in the flat, hot western suburbs a long way from any sand!

Don't forget about the Stamp Duty you have to pay when buying the newish 4X2 house near the beach. I came here on a 137 visa sponsored by WA and now trying to find a way to get a 136 so that we will have more options. I thought Perth is the place to start a family life, but without a house, what family life a person can expect for? Tomorrow some people in Perth are going to protest in front of the parliament to push govt to bring down the land taxes.

I advice anyone to do more research on other states before jump in to Perth. I did loads of fact finding on my visa and the job market, but did not spend enough time on stamp duty and the housing price issue.
If you are looking for a place for your family, I do not think Perth is the best place. Apart from having a BBQ at home or playing a 15$ 9 round golf.. nothing else you can do here. Forget about having a pool unless you plan to fill it from re-cycled water.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

aussiegirl10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve99
Perth City - Stunning (Clean, Relatively new, lots of investment etc)
Brisbane City - Dump (Drab, Tired looking, quite dirty)

Perth City - 15mins drive to great beaches
Brisbane City - Over an hours drive to decent beaches

If the most important thing about the relocation is saving a few dollars and a few hours in the air for the couple of trips a year most are likely to make then go to Brisbane. It doesnt make any sense but is the only thing I can vagually come up with in favour of Brisbane in this debate.

A more comparable decision would be between Perth and the Sunshine Coast, except the SC isnt a major city with the living and working benefits that that brings. For someone not needing to work at all or work in a CBD environment then the SC would probably be equally as attractive as Perth. IMO.

i completely disagree.. i would choose brisbane anyday .
'The weather in Brisbane is comfortable and sub-tropical. The city of Brisbane enjoys a very enviable climate of brilliant hot summers and clear mild winters. These enticing attributes ensure that Brisbane is idyllic for visitors all year round'
brisbane city is not a dump .. it is sooo clean! and so nice. its not tired looking.. the complete opposite and is definately not dirty .

brisbane city has a beautiful man made beach at south bank ,
and the hour is well worth it .
surfers paradise is amazing ..

brisbanes houses are much cheaper as well

everyone has different preferances ..
but brisbane is kool
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

My second choice, however, would have to be Brisbane. Nice city, big country town feel, close to some of the most gorgeous beaches in the world, and lower house prices. Can get ferally hot in summer, though. Make sure you get a place with air con, at the very least.

yep, would have to agree with you jacque, Brisbane is too hot and Perth is a sandpit on the edge of a desert, Sydney wins hands down
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC

At the end of last year, Perth's median house price of some $490K was only second to Sydney's $520K. Not a huge difference, especially when you consider that WA's currently also pay more in stamp duty, due to the govt not allowing for bracket creep in that state.

$520K may not get you a 4bed 2bth house 20 mins from a beach, however it will certainly get you one 35 mins drive from the beach, and not in the "flat, hot western suburbs". Consider the Northwest region of Sydney- the popular and expanding Hills district, for example. Sydney's median house price will get you a decent house (not necessarily brand new) here or a brand new 4bd 2bth townhouse. South of Sydney also has some good buys, with suburbs like Hurstville and Engadine offering alternatives.

Not everyone in Sydney can afford (or indeed wants to) live near the beach after all. I live 40km from the CBD and yet it only takes me 40mins to get there myself. Perhaps Sydneysiders are used to travelling a bit further as our country is so enormous! Sydney really is a big city (just like London) with many variations on price and locale. If you want to live right next to some of the most beautiful beaches here and HAVE to have that 4x2 house then don't come with less than $800K in your pocket. However, if you're willing (like the majority of us!) to compromise and live a little further out, then you may just be pleasantly surprised by what you might find.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:44 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

I've lived in Brisbane for over a year now and could easily see myself spending the rest of my days here. I have not yet been to Perth so cannot comment. OK, there's a drive to the beach but I suppose it depends if you intend to sit on the beach every weekend. We have some great coastal spots, with some sand, within 5-10 mins drive of where we are if we fancy an evening stroll by the sea.

As for the city, I communte in by bus and like to spend the odd lunchtime having a look around the shops or a stroll by the river. I think it's a very clean city with a mixture of old and new architecture, far from a dump (unless you mean the Valley which is a bit dirty)!! My folks were over last year and were very impressed with the city. I agree some of the inner city suburbs are looking a bit sorry for themselves now. All in all, it's a nice place to raise a family, which is what we came here for. Oh, and the climate of course!!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

TBH you're never going to get a good idea from asking on a forum such as this as all of us in WA will say "WA is so much better" and all of those in QLD will say the same about their neck of the woods, and very likely quite a few people who reply and say how wonderful their bit is havent been to the other side so can't give an unbiased view.

The important questions to ask yourself are really about work: which state can offer you more opportunities is the big one. If you're in any sort of building trade or can work in the mines then you'll never be short of work in WA (no idea what the situation is like in QLD just using this as an example).

Also, check what the climates are like in both areas, maybe one will suit you better, maybe it will make no odds, but these are the sort of questions you need to be asking rather than asking for people's opinions.

HTH
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:56 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dal3
we have never been to australia and have managed to narrow 2 places we would like to live in. we will be visiting oz in may and looking at both places but am interested in hearing peoples opinions on both parts of australia. your views, experiences for both places

look forward to receiving your thoughts
cheers
dal
The locals are friendlier in Brisbane but the humidity is a killer. Mind you humidity seems to have increased in perth over last few years. Perth property prices still overpriced, though there has been some recent downwards movement.

Personally, I wouldn't choose either place (yes I know I live in Perth but that's by default not design). I guess though it depends what you are after.

I'd rather live in Adelaide, Melbourne, Ballarat or Hobart. If I ever do end up back in OZ it will be one of those places for me.

Good Luck with it.
BTW: If you choose Brisbane and don't liek it, you have many other options on the East coast. If you choose Perth and don't like it, relocation over East will cost a bomb!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
The locals are friendlier in Brisbane but the humidity is a killer.
In YOUR opinion...
Old Jan 26th 2007, 5:04 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Plug
I've lived in Brisbane for over a year now and could easily see myself spending the rest of my days here. I have not yet been to Perth so cannot comment. OK, there's a drive to the beach but I suppose it depends if you intend to sit on the beach every weekend. We have some great coastal spots, with some sand, within 5-10 mins drive of where we are if we fancy an evening stroll by the sea.

As for the city, I communte in by bus and like to spend the odd lunchtime having a look around the shops or a stroll by the river. I think it's a very clean city with a mixture of old and new architecture, far from a dump (unless you mean the Valley which is a bit dirty)!! My folks were over last year and were very impressed with the city. I agree some of the inner city suburbs are looking a bit sorry for themselves now. All in all, it's a nice place to raise a family, which is what we came here for. Oh, and the climate of course!!
as a surfer im gutted that brisbane is miles away from any surf spot (3 hours on the train till i get a car). Perth would be better for surfing.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:21 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Many people in Perth would probably see being isolated from Sydney as a positive.

And who could blame them.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:23 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

I wonder how many of you poms wanting to live on or near a beach would actually use it? Not many IMO.

Been watching too much Home & Away by the sounds of it.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Many people in Perth would probably see being isolated from Sydney as a positive.

And who could blame them.
Damn right. Sydney is about the same flying time as Singapore.

I'd rather go to Singapore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.