Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane,our first three weeks here!

Wikiposts

Brisbane,our first three weeks here!

Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

coventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane,our first three weeks here!

Hi everyone, I said I would post as soon as I got online and give some feedback on our trip.

We, ie myself, wife Andree, and son Liam aged 21, left the UK on 27th June, flew Singapore Airlines from Heathrow, Could not fault them. I picked up a tip from here months ago to take a couple of nightnurse capsules to help me sleep, as I have never managed to sleep more than one hour on a long haul flight before. It worked a treat combined with my prepurchased wax earplugs, I watched the first film had my dinner dropped my tabs and slept for seven hours, couldnt believe it. Stopped at singapore for 4 nights at the Pan Pacific, got a good deal by waiting until a week before we left, great Hotel, lovely place, much more relaxing than smoggy, chaotic KL.
Second leg two more tabs and I slept all the way and arrived in Brisbane at 6.30 am feeling pretty refreshed. I purchased a new 4x4 on the net, prior to leaving ,good price, the guy from the dealership picked us up at the airport, and drove us to the showroom to colect the shiny new motor, a couple of signitures and we were on our way. I also got the guy to purchase for me a tomtom g500 gps system, this is a must have gadget to get around, it has been a godsend, well worth $900.
We had already bought a house on a previous validation trip last year, so we then picked the keys up from the property agent who managed the property in our absence. We had also sent our goods over 3 months ahead of us, so the agent had arranged to accept and sign for them on our behalf.
The cat arrived from Quarantine the next day, none the worse for her trip.
It took us a mad two weeks of frenetic shopping to fill the house up with furniture, we decided to leave most of our gear behind. We picked up some great deals in sales and, found a great outlet furniture shop on the net, where we got a whole lounge set of furniture for half price! delivered next day. The big brand outlet on Gympie rd, if anyone is interested.
It took a while to get sorted with phones, cable and internet, but we are all ok now.
The weather has been a lovely 21 - 23 degrees nearly every day, we have joined our local sports club/bar. Free pooltables and Schooners of lager for $3
not bad for a midweek sup! The wife has joined the local ladies gym and is enjoying that, my biggest concern was to get my son busy asap as he was moping a bit, after getting all lovey dovey with a new girlfriend, before leaving.
We went to look at the local Rugby club one day, the standard was very good, they had six teams but the level did not reduce by very much down the levels, as is the case in the UK. The guys fitness seemed very high as well, Liam reckoned he was not fit enough yet, so we checked out the local soccer club, he went training, but as there is only 6 weeks of the season left, he cant sign on until next season, the standard is suprisingly good, and the training is hard but enjoyable. The games are played under floodlight at 7pm on a friday or sat night, so it is very nice cool conditions for playing.
He has also joined a 5 a side indoor soccer team, which plays all year round, on a ladder system. Mostly aussies, the standard is average, with enthusiastic strong lads with not a lot of natural skill, which means they love Liam, as it makes him look like a star, good for his fitness levels and confidence as well in a new country.
The cricket season starts in about 8 weeks, so we looked up the local team, Valley district, Mathew Hayden is one of their players, as was life president Alan Border, we met some of the lads when Liam had a net practice, facing a 70mph bowling machine for an hour today, the coach was very impressed with his technique and reckons he should be able to get a game at starting at one of the lower teams, they have eight!
The sport is very competetive over here, and extremely well organised and funded, well see how he gets on over the next few months but he is definatly
starting to enjoy life again.
He's got tickets to see the Artic Monkeys soon with his new 5 a side mates, I managed to buy tickets for Robbie Williams and Kylie in November and December, so the wifes happy and the Buzzcocks are coming in September, so I might go and see them. I'm got tickets for Ben Elton in concert next week, and I'm just joining The local Celtic supporters club, so the old social life is starting to get busy.
I must say the Aussies I have met have been fantastic, very friendly, polite and helpful, I have not even thought about home, other than to see whats happening with the sport over there.
Obviously its going to take time to build up a circle of friends again, but we are trying to be as proactive as we can, we have been so busy home furnishing that we have not had much time for looking around, so we will probably do a bit more of that over the next few weeks. We love the area we live in The Gap , in the western suburbs, the bus service into town is great, if there are any expats drinkings meets we would love to come, or the ladies nights out for the wife.

Anyway thats our story so far, we were getting nervous before we left, but we are loving it, great place, great people from what I can see so far!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane,our first three weeks here!

Great post mate, glad you`re settling well. I like the proactive attitiude, well done

Mick
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Brisbane,our first three weeks here!

Like WOW, How Organised Where You!!

Great to see it can be done - you have set the benchmark for organising ahead - will deffo be taking some of your tips for when its our turn!

Hope your new found life continues in the way you want it!

Paula
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coventrycelt
Hi everyone, I said I would post as soon as I got online and give some feedback on our trip.

We, ie myself, wife Andree, and son Liam aged 21, left the UK on 27th June, flew Singapore Airlines from Heathrow, Could not fault them. I picked up a tip from here months ago to take a couple of nightnurse capsules to help me sleep, as I have never managed to sleep more than one hour on a long haul flight before. It worked a treat combined with my prepurchased wax earplugs, I watched the first film had my dinner dropped my tabs and slept for seven hours, couldnt believe it. Stopped at singapore for 4 nights at the Pan Pacific, got a good deal by waiting until a week before we left, great Hotel, lovely place, much more relaxing than smoggy, chaotic KL.
Second leg two more tabs and I slept all the way and arrived in Brisbane at 6.30 am feeling pretty refreshed. I purchased a new 4x4 on the net, prior to leaving ,good price, the guy from the dealership picked us up at the airport, and drove us to the showroom to colect the shiny new motor, a couple of signitures and we were on our way. I also got the guy to purchase for me a tomtom g500 gps system, this is a must have gadget to get around, it has been a godsend, well worth $900.
We had already bought a house on a previous validation trip last year, so we then picked the keys up from the property agent who managed the property in our absence. We had also sent our goods over 3 months ahead of us, so the agent had arranged to accept and sign for them on our behalf.
It took us a mad two weeks of frenetic shopping to fill the house up with furniture, we decided to leave most of our gear behind. We picked up some great deals in sales and, found a great outlet furniture shop on the net, where we got a whole lounge set of furniture for half price! delivered next day. The big brand outlet on Gympie rd, if anyone is interested.
It took a while to get sorted with phones, cable and internet, but we are all ok now.
The weather has been a lovely 21 - 23 degrees nearly every day, we have joined our local sports club/bar. Free pooltables and Schooners of lager for $3
not bad for a midweek sup! The wife has joined the local ladies gym and is enjoying that, my biggest concern was to get my son busy asap as he was moping a bit, after getting all lovey dovey with a new girlfriend, before leaving.
We went to look at the local Rugby club one day, the standard was very good, they had six teams but the level did not reduce by very much down the levels, as is the case in the UK. The guys fitness seemed very high as well, Liam reckoned he was not fit enough yet, so we checked out the local soccer club, he went training, but as there is only 6 weeks of the season left, he cant sign on until next season, the standard is suprisingly good, and the training is hard but enjoyable. The games are played under floodlight at 7pm on a friday or sat night, so it is very nice cool conditions for playing.
He has also joined a 5 a side indoor soccer team, which plays all year round, on a ladder system. Mostly aussies, the standard is average, with enthusiastic strong lads with not a lot of natural skill, which means they love Liam, as it makes him look like a star, good for his fitness levels and confidence as well in a new country.
The cricket season starts in about 8 weeks, so we looked up the local team, Valley district, Mathew Hayden is one of their players, as was life president Alan Border, we met some of the lads when Liam had a net practice, facing a 70mph bowling machine for an hour today, the coach was very impressed with his technique and reckons he should be able to get a game at starting at one of the lower teams, they have eight!
The sport is very competetive over here, and extremely well organised and funded, well see how he gets on over the next few months but he is definatly
He's got tickets to see the Artic Monkeys soon with his new 5 a side mates, I managed to buy tickets for Robbie Williams and Kylie in November and December, so the wifes happy and the Buzzcocks are coming in September, so I might go and see them. I'm got tickets for Ben Elton in concert next week, and I'm just joining The local Celtic supporters club, so the old social life is starting to get busy.
I must say the Aussies I have met have been fantastic, very friendly, polite and helpful, I have not even thought about home, other than to see whats happening with the sport over there.
Obviously its going to take time to build up a circle of friends again, but we are trying to be as proactive as we can, we have been so busy home furnishing that we have not had much time for looking around, so we will probably do a bit more of that over the next few weeks. We love the area we live in The Gap , in the western suburbs, the bus service into town is great, if there are any expats drinkings meets we would love to come, or the ladies nights out for the wife.

Anyway thats our story so far, we were getting nervous before we left, but we are loving it, great place, great people from what I can see so far!

Hi coventrycelt

Thers an Irish Club in the middle of Brisbane CBD (they do a cheap lunch as well). Cant remember the street but I sank a few beers in there before heading round to the Irish Bar on the main shopping street. Some recce that was. lol
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:28 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
Hi coventrycelt

Thers an Irish Club in the middle of Brisbane CBD (they do a cheap lunch as well). Cant remember the street but I sank a few beers in there before heading round to the Irish Bar on the main shopping street. Some recce that was. lol
It's on Queen Street I think....
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:34 am
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coventrycelt

Well done coventry celt.

Nice to hear you are loving it. See you there soon, tell the wife, i will get a ladies night organized x

Vics x
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:45 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Great post - how organised were you!?!

Would love to know where you bought your 4x4 from, sounds like great service with an airport pickup.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:54 am
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

A brilliant post. Look forward to seeing further updates over the coming months.

It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into organising everything so things ran smoothly. Very impressed. Have postmarked this thread for tips and ideas for when it's our turn.

Good luck in your new life, sounds like it's been an excellent start for you.

Ali x
Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!! hope we are as organised. So lovely to hear you sounding so happy and glad you having a ball! Hope we'll be over there soon as soon as we get our visa!

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
A brilliant post. Look forward to seeing further updates over the coming months.

It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into organising everything so things ran smoothly. Very impressed. Have postmarked this thread for tips and ideas for when it's our turn.

Good luck in your new life, sounds like it's been an excellent start for you.

Ali x
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hi,
I'd also love to know where you bought your 4X4 from and how you went about buying this ahead of getting there. Sounds brilliant, any tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tracy
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

fadgefieldclose is an unknown quantity at this point

[hi country celt. great post. we got our visa,s last week and know have 6 months to validate it as u know. were heading for brizza also. whereabouts are u living ? we did a reckie in march and loved everywhere.
have you any suggestions what to start doing now in order of importance please ?, cheers del n pat.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Hi

Sooooo impressed ! Excellent example of how to make things easier.
We're not far from you (Ferny Grove) so if you need anything let us know.
-Mind you, as you're doing so well, perhaps we'll come to you if we need any help !
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:28 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
It's on Queen Street I think....
excellent post for brissie - the pub is mick o'malleys irish pub in the wintergarden centre on queen street
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

coventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies guys and gals, every tip I used was lifted from here over the last 2 years.

Del & Pat, I spent hours on www.realestate.com.au getting a feel for the property market, and also www.ourbrisbane.com.au for suburb info, plus using the archive on here for suburb info. I also ordered the weekend courier mail from a UK online company, this has sections for careers, realestate, cars ect. It cost me about £10, but it gave me a good feel for the place.

I bought my car from a company called Honeycombes, these are Hyundai dealers, I had one of their Coupe's in the Uk and was very inpressed with their service standards and reliability. I used a site I got from here called www.discountcars.com.au where I sourced the type of cars that I was interested in, and then enquired for prices, unfortunatly half of the companies on there dont bother to reply, so once I decided on the car that suited me ie Hyundai Tucson Elite V6 4X4 , I looked up the local dealers for Hyundai, sent them an email asking for their best deal, telling them that I was enquiring at other dealers, and also mentioning that I work in car sales (I dont) so lets cut to the chase , give me your best price, and I'd buy one. Once they know they are competing, the offers get realistic.
Another tip I picked up was to pay extra for the special coating which stops the paintwork fading, and means you never have to wax or polish, just a quick soak with water, also the Extra window tint is fantastic, its like wearing sunglasses, a must have out here in the sun I reckon!

Also I started the negotiations over 3 months before I arrived, as some of the cars can take up to 10 weeks to become available, which is a hell of a saving on car rental for that period. Being a savvy purchaser I also bought my car insurance online from the uk, and house and contents ,saving about 25% from what I was quoted from brokers out here.

As for being impressed with my organising skills, Its called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, something I picked up from years of Sale's Management.
After three years planning to get out here, what am I going to do in a few weeks time, when I nothing left to sort out, I'll go mad!

Cheers

John

PS Vics, I'll tell Andree to expect a drinkypoos soon!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Guess we'll see Liam at the Arctic Monkeys then (if he's going on the Saturday) We'll be at at the bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.