Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - North or South

Brisbane - North or South

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane - North or South

Okay, we are still trying to narrow down possible suburbs in and around Brisbane. Can I have opinions and points about living in north or south Brisbane.

At the moment we are starting to focus on the north, areas such as Sandgate, Albany Creek, Redcliffe and in between. Will probably be working CBD so transport to city is obviously a factor as are the usual schools, proximity to beach etc.

I also think I would prefer to be closer to the Sunshine Coast than the Gold Coast. This factor alone will put us in a northern suburb.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:03 pm
calm down

goldcoastbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane - North or South

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Okay, we are still trying to narrow down possible suburbs in and around Brisbane. Can I have opinions and points about living in north or south Brisbane.

At the moment we are starting to focus on the north, areas such as Sandgate, Albany Creek, Redcliffe and in between. Will probably be working CBD so transport to city is obviously a factor as are the usual schools, proximity to beach etc.

I also think I would prefer to be closer to the Sunshine Coast than the Gold Coast. This factor alone will put us in a northern suburb.
Ive done some reasearch on Albany Creek
ie schools houses jobs ( it seems really good )
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:30 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere they sell TIM TAMS! lol

Its ok I'm sober today....how are you?
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

We have been here for 4 weeks now and we were originally going to look at Kallangur, Strathpine areas. We ended up in Forest Lake 20km south side.
A lot of homes in the north were older. The road infrastructure is better in the South with more dual lane highways around the edge of the city.
Lots of things to consider when deciding but my advice would be to stay in a holiday park (gateway holiday village, rochedale) and take a look when you arrive as things are very different on the web than they are when you get here.

Dave
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Anywhere they sell TIM TAMS! lol

Its ok I'm sober today....how are you?

yea great thanks, still cant find Tim Tams though. May have to order online.

Im at work now, so funnily enough, I too am sober. Still working on the 800 though!

Thanks for the info Jarv.

Keep it coming!!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:51 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

a little bump .................
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:18 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

I used to live in Albany Creek and can certainly recommend it. The schools are good and there are lots of facilities.
BS
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big Sky
I used to live in Albany Creek and can certainly recommend it. The schools are good and there are lots of facilities.
BS
Are the state schools good in Albany Creek? I have read threads that say private schools are better in Oz and wondered was it the case in Albany Creek.
I know it is soon to be thinking of schools for Ezekiel, but it would be good to know whether I have to plan to budget paying private school fees.

We have been here for nearly six months and are about to sign another 12 month lease on the house we are renting. It has been a great place to live so far.

Katie
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:06 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Are the state schools good in Albany Creek? I have read threads that say private schools are better in Oz and wondered was it the case in Albany Creek.
I know it is soon to be thinking of schools for Ezekiel, but it would be good to know whether I have to plan to budget paying private school fees.

We have been here for nearly six months and are about to sign another 12 month lease on the house we are renting. It has been a great place to live so far.

Katie
My children went to the local state and high schools and I was really happy with both.
BS
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:36 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Im a southsider and love it.

Northside is Okay, and could prove better possibly for commuting , albeit traffic is crappy whereever you live in rush hour, I do find getting southbound to be a tad quicker coming across gateway on a friday easier than viceversa
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

yea great thanks, still cant find Tim Tams though. May have to order online.

Im at work now, so funnily enough, I too am sober. Still working on the 800 though!

Thanks for the info Jarv.

Keep it coming!!
Dont know if you know that tesco sell tim tams now. I bought 6 packets last week. To share of course and do the tim tam party trick with friends!! as all true oz's know.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 10:57 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Traditionally, the northside has always been considered a bit "better" than the southside, which originally had a higher percentage of blue collar workers & more industrial areas. But in general, both areas particularly closer to the city (say in a 10km radius) are pretty much of a muchness now. Some less desirable areas on the southside (I wont mention them in case someone jumps on my case ) but most people who've posted here for a while know where they are. Stay away from those & you should be right.

In general the transport & road infrastructure on the southside is a bit better.

Horses for courses.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Traditionally, the northside has always been considered a bit "better" than the southside, which originally had a higher percentage of blue collar workers & more industrial areas. But in general, both areas particularly closer to the city (say in a 10km radius) are pretty much of a muchness now. Some less desirable areas on the southside (I wont mention them in case someone jumps on my case ) but most people who've posted here for a while know where they are. Stay away from those & you should be right.

In general the transport & road infrastructure on the southside is a bit better.

Horses for courses.

Thanks for the info, PM those undesirable places and I shall mark them on my map!

Tim Tams are not availble at the Isle of Man Tescos - what a blow!!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Horses for courses.

LOL not jumping... byt why "less desirable areas on the southside" ??

Ive found crappy areas, north south east and west lol

I think possibly, and this isnt a dig at ppl with rental properties, but as you know, Australia, is heavily inundated with a high proportion of rental homes, and im referring to rental homes not rental accomodation.

This does somewhat fuel, degradation in some areas, for low income families, irrespective of direction ( north south etc etc etc )

However I would concur, that southside, being a larger area, does have more than its fair share of undesirable areas, but that is the numbers game.

As I see it, the economy within Oz, re housing, will forever fluctuate, based on high numbers of said rental homes.

I would agree, that albeit I like some areas on the north side, they do seem to be well packed in, its a tad to commercial for my liking. But then im not in a residential area.

I do however have more favourite suburbs northside. But alas, the only thing drawing me to northside would be beerwah, and noosa.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, PM those undesirable places and I shall mark them on my map!

Tim Tams are not availble at the Isle of Man Tescos - what a blow!!
I suppose it is getting there and judging for yourself if it is undesirable too. Because one persons judgement of an area may not equal that of another persons. It is also advisable to contact the real estate agents in the area. When we did our reckie they were really good at advising of areas to avoid and direct us to pockets of areas that we would settle into.

I hope you find somewhere where you will be happy though.

'Shame about the tim tams' I was like that about Milo. But found a shop that sells a very small tin at £5 a go, bit too expensive for my liking though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.