Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane neighbourhoods, how do you choose?

Brisbane neighbourhoods, how do you choose?

Old Apr 19th 2004, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Anjali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane neighbourhoods, how do you choose?

I have been looking at different websites to get an idea of neighbourhoods in Brisbane, but it is so hard! We don't want to live near the city, we really want to live in a very quiet neighbourghood, preferable near the forest if that is possible. We want to have a big (or better: huge) garden.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

hi

We liked Fig Tree Pocket, houses in this area are older and seem to have more land, also very hilly and loads of trees.

jane
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:32 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by lee/jane
hi

We liked Fig Tree Pocket, houses in this area are older and seem to have more land, also very hilly and loads of trees.

jane

My boyfriend lives (and hopefully I will be soon) in Bracken Ridge, not too far from Fig Tree Pocket I dont think (is that the one by Strathpine?) Its about 30mins out by direct train link and about 30mins to some really decent beaches (about 5 mins to some not so decent ones - though you do tend to get a bit spoilt out there, so it probably wasnt that bad )

This is the official Brisbane City website, go to the 'living in' section for more information on suburbs. It may help you out a bit. Does depend on what you're after to where you'll like.
http://www.ourbrisbane.com

Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane neighbourhoods, how do you choose?

Originally posted by Anjali
I have been looking at different websites to get an idea of neighbourhoods in Brisbane, but it is so hard! We don't want to live near the city, we really want to live in a very quiet neighbourghood, preferable near the forest if that is possible. We want to have a big (or better: huge) garden.
It's very diofficult to really know until you get here.

For example we are about an hour from the city, very quiet area, near water, no real forests around though

A few people on this site live in Bellbowrie, and that's pretty close to a State Forest.

Hopefully you will get loads of ideas from others on here

Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:15 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lee/jane
hi

jane
Fig Tree Pocket is nice, but expensive as you are quite close to the city. It also has a Koala Sanctuary where you can cuddle the koalas! The local primary school has a very good reputation, as do all of the primary schools in this area (Chapel Hill, Brookfield, Pullenvale, Moggill).

We're looking at Pullenvale/Anstead which are also west of the city, very green and hilly, but the price rises here over the last year are truly shocking. We keep having to up the price we're willing to pay.

Jim has been driving in to the CBD this last week and its only been taking 30 minutes from home to office. (17 kms).

Jane
Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys !
I will have a look at that website! I can imagine that we first have to be in Brisbane, but it is nice to start thinking about it.
Fig Tree Pocket sounds nice, especially the Koala cuddling!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:15 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Anjali
Thanks guys !
I will have a look at that website! I can imagine that we first have to be in Brisbane, but it is nice to start thinking about it.
Fig Tree Pocket sounds nice, especially the Koala cuddling!
Yes...do check out that web site cos it is really good.

We are planning to settle in Kenwood/Chapel Hill/Fig Tree Pocket area.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:24 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
Yes...do check out that web site cos it is really good.

We are planning to settle in Kenwood/Chapel Hill/Fig Tree Pocket area.
If you're going to be renting first, then you need to be looking at $400 a week, at least for a 3 bedroom house in that area. We wasted a lot of time looking at some pretty grotty places. They look fine on the internet but when you see them, they're awful.

Jane
p.s. and they're popular areas, so you'll have lots of other people looking at the same properties. You have to get in quick.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:30 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by JaneandJim
If you're going to be renting first, then you need to be looking at $400 a week, at least for a 3 bedroom house in that area. We wasted a lot of time looking at some pretty grotty places. They look fine on the internet but when you see them, they're awful.

Jane
Yes, this is a real problem. We are considering a rental house that seems perfect for us (on the internet). It cost $600 p/w, and I really don't know whether to just rent it now (it's available a few days after we arrive), or wait until we get there, by which time it could be gone.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:42 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
Yes, this is a real problem. We are considering a rental house that seems perfect for us (on the internet). It cost $600 p/w, and I really don't know whether to just rent it now (it's available a few days after we arrive), or wait until we get there, by which time it could be gone.
chippy, do you know anyone who can go & have a quick look at it for you? Although for $600/week I would expect it to be pretty good & not the sort of thing that you might have to turn down cos its a dive! :scared:

Jane, slightly O/T, Im interested to know how Jims trip into the city pans out this week compared to last week now that the kids are back at school. We did a peak hour trip last week that we expected to take us around 45-50 mins & we were there 20 mins early! Couldnt believe how little traffic there was on the road - got there in 30 mins!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:02 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
chippy, do you know anyone who can go & have a quick look at it for you? Although for $600/week I would expect it to be pretty good & not the sort of thing that you might have to turn down cos its a dive! :scared:

Jane, slightly O/T, Im interested to know how Jims trip into the city pans out this week compared to last week now that the kids are back at school. We did a peak hour trip last week that we expected to take us around 45-50 mins & we were there 20 mins early! Couldnt believe how little traffic there was on the road - got there in 30 mins!
He'll be driving in again tomorrow. It can take an hour twenty on the bus, it took that tonight, so driving has got to be better.

I'm allowed to have the car on Tuesdays because I've started playing tennis now its not so hot and I have to go to Brookfield. As his Brisbane contract is up in June and then he'll be working from home, its not worth buying another car. Guess who's walking to school for the rest of the week?

I'll let you know how he does at the end of the week!

Jane
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

A$600 a week!!!!!!!!!!
What is it? A mansion on the riverside
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:23 pm
I'm lovin' it

It's a pretty big place, loads of space, pool, air con etc, etc.

The thing is there is me & Mrs.Chippy, 19yr old, 17 yr old & 9 yr old.

Then, 6 weeks after we arrive, my daughters boyfriend (18 yr old, staying for at least 1 yr), and my eldest daughter and her two young kids staying for at least six weeks.

As you can see, there will be quite a few of us, and I'm under pressure to get a place asap after we arrive. Which is basically why I'm toying with the idea of renting a place without even seeing it!

MrsDagboy.....yes, me brother-in law is going to nip round and have a quick look around the outside and up & down the street etc, so I'll have to wait and see I suppose.

This is all assuming the place is still available! I e-mailed the agent last night and the bloody barsteward hasn't got back to me.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

We are thinking of fisrt staying in a hostel, so we have some time looking for a rental place. Then we rent and have all the time to look for a house to buy. We don't want to do that in a hurry as we plan to never move anymore (I hate moving)