Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane moving to or leaving?

Brisbane moving to or leaving?

Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane moving to or leaving?

Sub-tropical bliss

There are so many things I would miss about Brisbane if I was forced to leave (because that's the only way I would go).
I'd miss the smells: jasmine and frangipani in spring, salty mangroves by the bay.

I'd miss the quality of light that allows me to wear colourful clothing without looking out of place. I'd miss our creaky Queenslander house that my kids think is haunted. I'd even miss the strange wildlife that is part of our home - the mad possums that roll macadamia nuts across the ceiling at night, the albino-like geckoes, stripey marsh frogs and the fact that our children think it's normal to see koalas in nearby trees.

I'd miss the civilised climate that allows doors and windows to be wide open day and night most of the year, the glow of flowering jacaranda trees in spring and the mandatory tray of mangoes in the fridge in summer.
I'd miss the manageable size of the city and that just 40 minutes away you can jump on a ferry and for $3 be on the beach at Coochiemudlo Island - which feels like another world entirely.

I'd miss exploring the narrow streets of Spring Hill, West End and Paddington with old homes mercifully untouched by a renovator's hand.
I'd miss watching kids clamber on the massive Moreton Bay fig trees in New Farm Park and Wellington Point reserve and the Cottonwood trees at Scarborough.

I'd miss the walk to King Island from Wellington Point at low tide and trying to judge whether you'll make it back before the tide changes and you have to wade the last few metres. And I'd miss riding a bike or walking along the foreshore at Wynnum or Sandgate.

I'd miss our great neighbours and the gate in the back fence that leads to their homes. I'd miss the safety I feel that comes with familiarity of a neighbourhood, a suburb, a city.

I love to travel and seek out new destinations but it's always good to return to the comfort of a city that, for the past 20 years, I have loved calling home.

And the good thing is, there's so much more to discover.
Tell me about your Brisbane

Source: http://thecouriermail.com.au/extras/...ane/index.html

Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane moving to or leaving?

That was so well written and obviously so much from the heart. If that doesn't inspire people who are stressing about the move nothing will. Good find Manx
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That was so well written and obviously so much from the heart. If that doesn't inspire people who are stressing about the move nothing will. Good find Manx
Thats right moneypen, thats why I posted it. Just can't wait to get there myself now.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Thats right moneypen, thats why I posted it. Just can't wait to get there myself now.
what a lovely thread, carnt wait to get there ourselfs!

see you there Manx

hugs gee x
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:22 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hi there, read one of your posts in an earlier thread, anyway, we moved to brisbane last month, and absolutely love the place, i cant imagine being anywhere else on earth!! we also came out here for a holiday (or two) before we decided to move over permanently, and i can honestly say this place feels more like home than england ever did. I absolutely love the place, the people are great, so friendly and helpful, house prices are reasonable, and everything seems so close to hand, we live approx 20 mins from CBD and 20 mins from beach, 40 mins from gold coast and hour or so from sunshine coast, my son has just started school, we have our own house (rented) and car etc. just need jobs now and we are sorted.
I would say, come on in, the water is great!!!
regards
vb2
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:33 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vb2
hi there, read one of your posts in an earlier thread, anyway, we moved to brisbane last month, and absolutely love the place, i cant imagine being anywhere else on earth!! we also came out here for a holiday (or two) before we decided to move over permanently, and i can honestly say this place feels more like home than england ever did. I absolutely love the place, the people are great, so friendly and helpful, house prices are reasonable, and everything seems so close to hand, we live approx 20 mins from CBD and 20 mins from beach, 40 mins from gold coast and hour or so from sunshine coast, my son has just started school, we have our own house (rented) and car etc. just need jobs now and we are sorted.
regards
vb2
Hi

Can i ask what suburbs that would be.. or thereabouts? We are in Adelaide at the moment & going to check out Brissy in June.. as its too boring here

Sounds ideal... We need to live near the CBD, but still wanna be reasonable distance to the GC?

Ta
Old Apr 11th 2006, 3:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
Hi

Can i ask what suburbs that would be.. or thereabouts?
My guess is Carina/Carindale area! Let's see how close I am .
Old Apr 11th 2006, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

what a great post,i dont think i can really add to that
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:39 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
Hi

Can i ask what suburbs that would be.. or thereabouts? We are in Adelaide at the moment & going to check out Brissy in June.. as its too boring here

Sounds ideal... We need to live near the CBD, but still wanna be reasonable distance to the GC?

Ta
Could be Loganholme / Shailer Park area, about 20 mins to cbd and 30 to the GC.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2
regards
vb2
We love Brisbane too and can't imagine living anywhere else. It is a city that I love to go to and I hated cities in the UK. Pleased you feel the same
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:12 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Sub-tropical bliss

There are so many things I would miss about Brisbane if I was forced to leave (because that's the only way I would go).
I'd miss the smells: jasmine and frangipani in spring, salty mangroves by the bay.

I'd miss the quality of light that allows me to wear colourful clothing without looking out of place. I'd miss our creaky Queenslander house that my kids think is haunted. I'd even miss the strange wildlife that is part of our home - the mad possums that roll macadamia nuts across the ceiling at night, the albino-like geckoes, stripey marsh frogs and the fact that our children think it's normal to see koalas in nearby trees.

I'd miss the civilised climate that allows doors and windows to be wide open day and night most of the year, the glow of flowering jacaranda trees in spring and the mandatory tray of mangoes in the fridge in summer.
I'd miss the manageable size of the city and that just 40 minutes away you can jump on a ferry and for $3 be on the beach at Coochiemudlo Island - which feels like another world entirely.

I'd miss exploring the narrow streets of Spring Hill, West End and Paddington with old homes mercifully untouched by a renovator's hand.
I'd miss watching kids clamber on the massive Moreton Bay fig trees in New Farm Park and Wellington Point reserve and the Cottonwood trees at Scarborough.

I'd miss the walk to King Island from Wellington Point at low tide and trying to judge whether you'll make it back before the tide changes and you have to wade the last few metres. And I'd miss riding a bike or walking along the foreshore at Wynnum or Sandgate.

I'd miss our great neighbours and the gate in the back fence that leads to their homes. I'd miss the safety I feel that comes with familiarity of a neighbourhood, a suburb, a city.

I love to travel and seek out new destinations but it's always good to return to the comfort of a city that, for the past 20 years, I have loved calling home.

And the good thing is, there's so much more to discover.
Tell me about your Brisbane

Source: http://thecouriermail.com.au/extras/...ane/index.html

Have to agree we have only been here 6 months but we love Brisbane and the surroundings and quite happy to stay in the area. We have just bought house with gardens full of the sort of things you mention including the nuts so hopefully have many happy years to come.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

<Sniff sniff> God..that hits you right there <points to ol' ticker>
I'm trying to piece together a little something about glorious Derby...but Im stuck after 4 words...and two of them is S**T HOLE....
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:54 am
vb2

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

bloody hell you were close!!!
carina and carindale are about 15 mins from me
we live in Parkinson!!!! (nr calamvale) just south of CBD
regards
vb2
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:56 am
vb2

nice to hear from you mand we met at the leeds met!!!! remember us!!!
we looked and put in an offer for a house in ormiston, but missed out unfortunatetly, parkinson is very similar, very nice suburb, close to all amenities and it suits us too.
hope all is well your end
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by mand8002
We love Brisbane too and can't imagine living anywhere else. It is a city that I love to go to and I hated cities in the UK. Pleased you feel the same
Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:01 am
vb2

ps if you fancy popping over for a coffee you are more than welcome!!
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by vb2
nice to hear from you mand we met at the leeds met!!!! remember us!!!
we looked and put in an offer for a house in ormiston, but missed out unfortunatetly, parkinson is very similar, very nice suburb, close to all amenities and it suits us too.
hope all is well your end
regards
vb2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.