Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane montessori school

Brisbane montessori school

Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice
Default Brisbane montessori school

Does anyone know anything about the montessori school in Fig Tree Pocket?

We're hoping to be in Brisbane by the end of the year(if my skills assessment ever comes back from the ANMC) and like the sound of Fig Tree Pocket and surrounding areas and will be looking for a primary school for my 5 year old. Never hear of Montessori education before and having looked at the web page am none the wiser Don't fancy it if it's all airy fairy, web site doesn't say what the curriculum is and I know it's all supposed to be individually based learning, which is excellent, but I also need to know that it will set them up with a good academic background too!

Can anyone help!
Cheers,
Keri
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane montessori school

Originally Posted by kerikerr

We're hoping to be in Brisbane by the end of the year(if my skills assessment ever comes back from the ANMC) and like the sound of Fig Tree Pocket and surrounding areas and will be looking for a primary school for my 5 year old. Never hear of Montessori education before and having looked at the web page am none the wiser Don't fancy it if it's all airy fairy, web site doesn't say what the curriculum is and I know it's all supposed to be individually based learning, which is excellent, but I also need to know that it will set them up with a good academic background too!

Can anyone help!
Cheers,
Keri

I asked this question last week. I'm looking at a school with the Montessori education option in South Australia.

After looking it up, I'm seriously thinking of enrolling my daughter there.

Have a read of the thread I did last week, there's a link to a website with more info in there: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=montessori

In a few weeks I'll let you know what I think of it all.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Thanks Wendy, I will look at that now. Would love to know how you get on! It's very different to what we're used to here in the UK, it would be good to know what their success and results are like.

Good luck,
Keri
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:08 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help!
Cheers,
Keri
The state school in Fig Tree Pocket has a very very good reputation, so please don't discount that option. Houses are expensive, though, but it is a nice suburb. Koala Sanctuary on the doorstep.

Jane
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jane, I know the house prices are expensive, do you know what the catchment area is for fig tree pocket primary? I also like sherwood and graceville. I see your in anstead, what's that like cause I've heard Brookfield is lovely too, what are the house prices like there? We'll be needing a 4 bed and will hopefully have a budget of around $500,000 ish.

Thanks for your help,
Keri
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:19 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jane, I know the house prices are expensive, do you know what the catchment area is for fig tree pocket primary? I also like sherwood and graceville. I see your in anstead, what's that like cause I've heard Brookfield is lovely too, what are the house prices like there? We'll be needing a 4 bed and will hopefully have a budget of around $500,000 ish.

Thanks for your help,
Keri
Don't know the carchment area for sure, but would think its just Fig Tree Pocket as the other suburbs round there all have their own primary schools anyways. They all have good reputations.

You've picked all nice suburbs but all expensive. You'll propably need to be looking at the high 500k and even then, for 4 bed it'll probably be a doer-upper. Try looking at Chapel Hill, that's just as nice and more houses in your price range. I've just looked at www.realestate.com.au for all your suburbs, and while there are some houses for sale at that price, from experience, they're probably cheap for a reason.

Brookfield is quite pretty, but I find it a bit Stepford looking, if you know what I mean. Anstead suits us but its not the kind of place you would move straight to. There are no facilities here, except for a mower shop , its acreage country so rentals will be expensive. Shops and primary school are only 6 minutes drive away, however, in Bellbowrie and Moggill, but it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. Its still in Brisbane City, though. Ernie Dingo lives here, too. (He was the aborigine in Crocodile Dundee and is still a TV personality here)

Hope this helps a bit. Once you get out here, you'll know what you like.

Jane
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Getting quite worried about the house prices, but as you say we'll just have to wait till we get out there! Will take a look at Chapel Hill too.

Thanks again, Jane

Keri
Old Apr 28th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

a montressori setting is based around child initiated play and exploration. Rather than being taught, they are given resources etc and they find their own method/way of solving something.

In the UK there are a few nurseries, but now the UK foundation Stage is leaning towards this type of curriculum.

It's actually supposed to be fantastic for the child and children leave primary with the same levels of education as those that had the national curriculum and are also more confident and competent.

Apparently, children love this way of education and enjoy going to school because its fun.

i know all this because i'm an early years practitioner and i've studied stuff about it.

Sam
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

It does sound interesting. I think I'd like to see it in action though, so will arrange a visit to the school when we arrive, think they've got a big waiting list at that particular school and I think they also have a kindergarten as well which I think would be excellent for little ones.

thanks for your help Sam,

Keri
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Can anyone help!
Cheers,
Keri
I worked in a Montessori school for a number of years when i was a nursery nurse, they worked within the Goverment education guidelines but used a Montessori methods to teach. I found that the children were more willing to learn and enjoyed themselves, a lot of the activities were based around social activities.

Montessori is a method of enabling children to learn and develop using natural resources, and takes them back to basics it may sound airy fairy and in some ways it is. It encourages them to play with wooden and basic toys that develop their imaginations, rather that electrical games. Although the school should still have IT equipment to meet Education requirements.

Think back to when we were in school, we enjoyed running in the play ground making our own fun, we used pens and pencils instead of typing on a keyboard and did it do us any harm? Some people also say it can help children with ADHD and other behavioal problems.

Hope this helps, by the way i dont work for Montessori promotions i have just seen it first hand and saw the benefits.

Minibelle
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks minibelle, that is really helpful. All the opinions so far are positive, it's definately worth looking into.

Keri
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy, I will look at that now. Would love to know how you get on! It's very different to what we're used to here in the UK, it would be good to know what their success and results are like.

Good luck,
Keri
There are montessori shools all over the world and have been for years.....including in the UK.

There were a few documetaries on the UK ones a few years back.

Make sure you understand just what you are getting your child into before you go ahead.

G
Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, have no intention of putting him into a new schooling system unless I understood exactly the theory, concept and success rates of this type of teaching and whether I thought it would suit my children.

Must have been asleep when those documentaries were on!!!!:embaressed_smile:

Keri
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

If you google "fig tree pocket primary" and open the link four down you can download the catchment area map from there.

Martha
Old Apr 29th 2007, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Have done Martha, looks a good wee primary (if we were able to get a rental or buy a house in the area!!! Very expensive) Also like the look if Sherwood primary but again house prices expensive, thems the breaks

Keri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.