Brisbane or Melbourne?

Brisbane or Melbourne?

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:50 am
nya
Forum Regular

nya is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Brisbane or Melbourne?

Hello,

We are planning to apply for our visas next year and have always thought we wanted to move to the Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area. We have been there last year and loved it.

Now I hear more and more people say how brilliant Melbourne is, and I'm starting to think maybe Melbourne is the place to go? We're gonna travel out there next year to have alook, but it would be interesting to hear people's opininos and experiences here first.

Usually it's always Perth or Brisbane, why not Melbourne? Brisbane and the East coasts obviuoly have a lot to offer entertainmentwise and it's easy to get around, things are fairly close together. What about Melbourne and the south?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

NYA

P.S.: There are no kids in the equation.

Last edited by nya; Oct 23rd 2006 at 11:51 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:17 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane or Melbourne?

Hello and welcome. If you search through the forum you will find tons of threads on just this subject.

A lot depends on your wants and needs from your emigration.

I am going to both next month, not for the first time, but the first time with an emigrants eyes.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Buzzy
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:28 pm
nya
Forum Regular

nya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane or Melbourne?

Thanks Buzzy. I had searched the forums on Melbourne but did not see a specific thread abot Melbourne, only a lto on Brisbane, and all I could find comparison-wise was Perth vs. Brisbane. I'll try again ;-)

Enjoy your trip next month, look forward to your 'report'! :-)

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hello and welcome. If you search through the forum you will find tons of threads on just this subject.

A lot depends on your wants and needs from your emigration.

I am going to both next month, not for the first time, but the first time with an emigrants eyes.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Buzzy
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:53 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi nya

Both are great places but to summise

If you like the heat all year round go for Brisbane.

Melbourne has seasons - cold is 6 to 8 degrees (but includes bright blue skys in Winter - makes winter something to look forward to in my opinion)
Its vibrant, easy to live sort of place. Friendly people and lots to see and do.
Great foodie places and decent coffee this side of Italy.

I also have fond memories of Brisbane but the heat is just too much for me.

Either way you can't really go wrong. Its only a small flight between them.

Kiwi
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the same situation a few years ago. We knew Melbourne, having worked there a few times, and really liked it.

Brisbane was a bit of an unknown.

So we just took the risk and moved to Brisbane. If it hadn't worked out I suppose we would have upped sticks and moved to Melbourne.

The differences are many. But in our experience, Brisbane is obviously warmer, more laid back, and bit more uhhmmmmm... provincial. Melbourne feels like a grown up city. Jobs wise, it would be alot easier getting a job in Melbourne, well depends what you do I suppose, but if its service industry related, then Melbourne is easier to get a job, and its better paid.

On the other side, Melbourne is also more expensive, so you get paid what you need to live in either city.

Its really hard to tell until you actually live here. I don't think you would regret either choice. I'm not giving Brisbane a bad press, but it is slightly more provincial. But then again, I like that, and we keep getting told that Brissie is going to overtake Melbourne in the next 10 years, population wise, but I doubt it will have the cultural diversification of Melbourne (or the drug wars, gangs etc).

If you've any specific questions regarding either Melbourne or Brisbane, PM me, and either I or Mrs JTL will try and help,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane or Melbourne?

Just to add fuel to discussion, I know 3 Ozzies at my work from Brisbane, and all of them say if and when they return to Oz, they will be going to live in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:27 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

I am from Perth and I think Melbourne is awesome!!! Very cosmopolitan, lots of fantastic clubs, restaurants, lots of things to do, and it is only a quick plane trip up to Qld to do that part of Oz. Melbourne can have a lot of grey, drizzly weather. It is also obsessed with sport.

However, Brisbane has lovely weather if you don't mind a bit of humidity. It is also getting a lot more interesting in terms of things to do.

Good luck.