Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Meet - Saturday 22nd April

Brisbane Meet - Saturday 22nd April

Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane Meet - Saturday 22nd April

Following on from a thread started by JaneAndJim we are organising a Brisbane meet on Saturday 22nd April - at New Farm Park. Seems like yonks away! Plenty of time for Jane to whip up some of her infamous ice-cream???

(I didn't pick the other dates mentioned on the previous thread because LawLaw couldn't make any dates before 25th March, ExGlos couldn't make 8th April, and JaneAndJim preferred an April date, and Sue2 is hopefully expecting to be taken out elsewhere on 11th March, so wouldn't be able to make it!!! he he)

Here were the reasons I think New Farm Park would be good (for anyone not familiar with this part of Brisbane):
a) lovely setting by the river
b) easy to park
c) bbq's available
d) easy access from the River city cat
e) there is a lovely fortnightly farmers market right next to the PowerHouse at New Farm, selling some real scrummy stuff, so people might like to visit this before the meet (I think it starts early and finishes at about 12ish, but it would only take about 40 minutes to get round)
f) there is a nice cafe (Wat) right on the river at New Farm - there is also a licenced restaurant here, though that bit is quite posh and expensive and usually requires bookings
g) for anyone that is likely to want to carry on into the evening, it is about a 20 minute walk to the Valley, where there are tons of great bars and restaurants (restaurants in Chinatown are child friendly too!)
h) for anyone wishing to carry on the evening / night at Southbank / CBD etc, its just a short stroll to the citycat
i) for anyone who might enjoy a good steak later on in the evening, The Breakfast Creek Hotel is about a 7 minute drive away.

Although she can't attend herself, Mrs Dagboy has warned that the park gets rather packed - and its huge. I must admit I see loads of meets going on at New Farm Park, with various coloured balloons, on most Saturdays. My aim would be to get right down on the Riverfront, nearest the Powerhouse (i.e close to the cafe), and next to the BBQ's. I'm going to have a stroll down there tonight to work out a strategic location. I can't remember where the double BBQ was, off the top of my head. So I'll report back tomorrow with some longitide latitude co-ordinates! On the day itself I suggest any early birds (that are going to the market first) leave some chairs / blankets behind with me and John, so we can spread out before everyone arrives. There's a limit to how many chairs me & John can ferry across the river on the city cat!

We'll probably get there early after some brekkie at Wat (about 10am), and will aim to stay there until about 4pm.

The only major problem I can think of, is if its pouring down with rain - the only shelter is some huge trees, and I don't fancy sitting under these if there's thunder and lightning. So if this is likely to happen (and we should know the night before) - then it would be more sensible to reschedule.

Here are the names of people interested so far (taken from JaneAndJims thread) :

JaneAndJim
JohnAndNetta
Laura&Steve alias LawLaw
Susan&? alias ex-GLOS
Neil & Shell
Amelia, Ali & Ellie (depending upon roster!) alias Meelie
Sue,Chris,Cameron & Morgan alias Sue2

So come on all you Brisbanites - its time we showed those Gold Coasters just how many there are of us in hiding!!!! (we are far more reserved up this neck of the woods.......).

GoldCoast gatecrashers welcome -we've gatecrashed enough of yours - any Sunshine Coasters welcome too. And of course all you Baysiders (In fact why not fly up from Sydney, Melbourne, etc, etc? ).

Don't be shy, cut and paste the name list and add yours to it.

More details regarding the exact location in the park will be supplied by myself in due course. Look forward to meeting you all.

Netta
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Meet - Saturday 22nd April

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Following on from a thread started by JaneAndJim we are organising a Brisbane meet on Saturday 22nd April - at New Farm Park. Seems like yonks away! Plenty of time for Jane to whip up some of her infamous ice-cream???

(I didn't pick the other dates mentioned on the previous thread because LawLaw couldn't make any dates before 25th March, ExGlos couldn't make 8th April, and JaneAndJim preferred an April date, and Sue2 is hopefully expecting to be taken out elsewhere on 11th March, so wouldn't be able to make it!!! he he)

Here were the reasons I think New Farm Park would be good (for anyone not familiar with this part of Brisbane):
b) easy to park
c) bbq's available
e) there is a lovely fortnightly farmers market right next to the PowerHouse at New Farm, selling some real scrummy stuff, so people might like to visit this before the meet (I think it starts early and finishes at about 12ish, but it would only take about 40 minutes to get round)
f) there is a nice cafe (Wat) right on the river at New Farm - there is also a licenced restaurant here, though that bit is quite posh and expensive and usually requires bookings
g) for anyone that is likely to want to carry on into the evening, it is about a 20 minute walk to the Valley, where there are tons of great bars and restaurants (restaurants in Chinatown are child friendly too!)
h) for anyone wishing to carry on the evening / night at Southbank / CBD etc, its just a short stroll to the citycat
i) for anyone who might enjoy a good steak later on in the evening, The Breakfast Creek Hotel is about a 7 minute drive away.

Although she can't attend herself, Mrs Dagboy has warned that the park gets rather packed - and its huge. I must admit I see loads of meets going on at New Farm Park, with various coloured balloons, on most Saturdays. My aim would be to get right down on the Riverfront, nearest the Powerhouse (i.e close to the cafe), and next to the BBQ's. I'm going to have a stroll down there tonight to work out a strategic location. I can't remember where the double BBQ was, off the top of my head. So I'll report back tomorrow with some longitide latitude co-ordinates! On the day itself I suggest any early birds (that are going to the market first) leave some chairs / blankets behind with me and John, so we can spread out before everyone arrives. There's a limit to how many chairs me & John can ferry across the river on the city cat!

We'll probably get there early after some brekkie at Wat (about 10am), and will aim to stay there until about 4pm.

The only major problem I can think of, is if its pouring down with rain - the only shelter is some huge trees, and I don't fancy sitting under these if there's thunder and lightning. So if this is likely to happen (and we should know the night before) - then it would be more sensible to reschedule.

Here are the names of people interested so far (taken from JaneAndJims thread) :

JaneAndJim
JohnAndNetta
Laura&Steve alias LawLaw
Susan&? alias ex-GLOS
Neil & Shell

So come on all you Brisbanites - its time we showed those Gold Coasters just how many there are of us in hiding!!!! (we are far more reserved up this neck of the woods.......).

GoldCoast gatecrashers welcome -we've gatecrashed enough of yours - any Sunshine Coasters welcome too. And of course all you Baysiders (In fact why not fly up from Sydney, Melbourne, etc, etc? ).

More details regarding the exact location in the park will be supplied by myself in due course. Look forward to meeting you all.

Netta
Hope our room is booked have to make room for Golden balls, he's starting to get a bit big headed

Sue x....From the Gold Coast!!!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Ohhh, I'm well excited, Its in my diary. I cant wait to meet you all. Thanks for picking a date I could attend.

This time in 2 weeks I will be on the plane, half way to Aus. I'm practically peeing my pants with excitement, last day of work tomorrow and my big leaving do.

OH MY GOD WERE NEARLY THERE, WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Matt & Jay will become famous soon enoughMatt & Jay will become famous soon enough

b) easy to park
c) bbq's available

JaneAndJim
JohnAndNetta
Laura&Steve alias LawLaw
Susan&? alias ex-GLOS
Neil & Shell

Netta
landing in brisbane in march so will put it on the list
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi there!

We arrive in Brissie on March 25th and so would love to come. Are the anklebiters also invited?

Debbie, Steve, Smiley and Henry
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:55 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

We'd love to come, bit early days at the moment as Lynn will probably be working so we can't be sure, but it would be great.

We will have been there 1 month. Will let you know if that's Ok.

Rich & Lynn
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Neil & Shell will become famous soon enough

Hi Netta & others

We will definately be there.

Looking forward to meeting the newbies! We'll get the city cat.

Shell
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Ohhh, I'm well excited, Its in my diary. I cant wait to meet you all. Thanks for picking a date I could attend.

This time in 2 weeks I will be on the plane, half way to Aus. I'm practically peeing my pants with excitement, last day of work tomorrow and my big leaving do.

OH MY GOD WERE NEARLY THERE, WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO
Wow Laura - you just woke me up with your excitement! Enjoy your last couple of weeks in the UK. Have a safe trip and we'll see you soon!

Netta
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Wow Laura - you just woke me up with your excitement! Enjoy your last couple of weeks in the UK. Have a safe trip and we'll see you soon!

Netta
he he sorry about that, thanks Netta, will def see you soon. I shall post and let everyone know how the leaving do tomorrow and last day at work goes.

you can go back to sleep now
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:10 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Woo! That's on my Birthday!
Shame I can't be in Bris then though I'll have to crash someone else's party... or make my own I suppose...

Have a good one!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:15 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Netta & John

Yeah put us down, not sure what shift Rich will be on but would be great to see you again. I will put it on the calendar and then it will remind me.

Cheers Ang

p.s. have you still got some logs for our burner as it is getting close to winter and Im told that Ill need some PM me if so and we can arrange to come and pick some up if thats ok with you..... Ang
Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:26 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear its my birthday on 23rd April so don't know whether we will be going out that evening or not. I'll get back to you all on that one.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:36 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

I WANNA COME!!!!
Obviously that is if we have the visas & have sold the house by then!
Its our wedding anniversary on the 23rd too!

Claire
xxx

Netta
Old Feb 10th 2006, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good!!!

Sue x bump
Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I WANNA COME!!!!
Obviously that is if we have the visas & have sold the house by then!
Its our wedding anniversary on the 23rd too!

Claire
xxx

Are you sure you want to come? - you sounded very hesitant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.