Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Media info

Brisbane - Media info

Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Brisbane - Media info

I'm going to be in Gold Coast/Brissy/Sunshine Coast for the next week.
We'd like to get hold of some housing info.
Now down here in sydney we get the freebie weekly paper every Thursday which has a massive property section outlining whats for sale/open for inspection the coming weekend.

Is there an equivalent up there? If so what day can I get hold of it (I'm assuming it'll turn up in newsagents).

Also the Sydney Morning Herald has a large property pull out on Saturdays - is there an equivalent?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Theres a free rag on the Gold Coast that comes out on Wednesdays. There are generally a few houses etc in it.

The saturday edition of the Gold Coast Bulletin is the one to get for real estate, if they had paperboys here like in the UK, they would all have hernias carrying the thing!
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Our local free paper on Tuesdays has a real estate section, of about 50 pages ! And thats just for the South Bayside area!

Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Our local free paper on Tuesdays has a real estate section, of about 50 pages ! And thats just for the South Bayside area!
Free paper day is Wednesday at Redcliffe, the property pull out from the paper is available at local real estate agents, normally on a stand outside. I suspect this is the same in most suburbs.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys...and just for a brief follow up...

Is there a brisbane equivalent to say St Kilda, where you might go for a big selection of cafes on a Saturday morning perhaps?

I don't like the city centre itself that much, I'm more looking for a fun suburb/district.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:21 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
Thanks for the info guys...and just for a brief follow up...

Is there a brisbane equivalent to say St Kilda, where you might go for a big selection of cafes on a Saturday morning perhaps?

I don't like the city centre itself that much, I'm more looking for a fun suburb/district.
Rich, try Paddinton/RedHill area or Manly or Cleveland. Plenty of places, others will have other suggestions, those are all either close to the city or south(east)side.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:23 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, being the yuppy you are, try Ascot, Racecourse Rd is full of cafes etc that cater for brunches on a weekend (and during the week!). You'll love it! .
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Actually, being the yuppy you are, try Ascot, Racecourse Rd is full of cafes etc that cater for brunches on a weekend (and during the week!). You'll love it! .
Oxford Street, Bulimba?
Park Road, Milton?
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
Oxford Street, Bulimba?
Park Road, Milton?
Yep, good ideas too Scun, both have lots of good places as well. Bulimba is particularly nice! (I think its much nicer than Ascot, but everyones different)
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm not going to rise to the yuppie bait (I'm too old to qualify anyway).

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I'll see if I can cram them all in and report back ... I do like a breakfast out.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Brisbane - Media info

I'm going to be in Gold Coast/Brissy/Sunshine Coast for the next week.
We'd like to get hold of some housing info.
Now down here in sydney we get the freebie weekly paper every Thursday which has a massive property section outlining whats for sale/open for inspection the coming weekend.

Is there an equivalent up there? If so what day can I get hold of it (I'm assuming it'll turn up in newsagents).

Also the Sydney Morning Herald has a large property pull out on Saturdays - is there an equivalent?
Saturdays Courier Mail has an equivalent housing pull out. $1.60 on a Saturday for the paper, and you get a full trees worth.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:51 am
Rocket Scientist

I'm not going to rise to the yuppie bait (I'm too old to qualify anyway).

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I'll see if I can cram them all in and report back ... I do like a breakfast out.
Haha, sorry Rich, it wasnt meant as an insult anyway, you just strike me as a bit of a yuppy sort. Nothing wrong with that mind you, Im married to one (even though hes in the over 40 age bracket now & not so young either ) .

Pretty sure you will find somewhere you like out of the ones that Scun & I mentioned.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

I didn't take it as that much of an insult...and I've taken huge consolation in having the edge on Dagboy Mr in the youth stakes.

As an under 40 I don't feel nearly so old any more. All that 40+ stuff is so 2005.