Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane hotel with a good view.

Brisbane hotel with a good view.

Old Apr 6th 2016, 4:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Brisbane hotel with a good view.

Trying to work out which would be a good hotel for one day/one night.

Somewhere that has a view of the city skyline perhaps and the river.

In Melbourne you can stay across from the city by the river and look back over the river to the city. You can stroll beside the river and then across one of the bridges into the city itself.

Is this also possible with Brisbane please?
Old Apr 6th 2016, 4:15 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane hotel with a good view.

I can recommend Rydges Southbank - awesome views across Southbank, the river and then the city skyline. Close to the Southbank parklands and the bridges to walk across the river and peruse the city!
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

With the curves in the Brisbane river you can stay on the city side while still looking at the skyline.

Somewhere like the Stamford Plaza. Very good hotel with great views:

Source: https://pix6.agoda.net

The Stamford is also across the road from the City Botanical Gardens:

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 6th 2016 at 12:06 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The view from the high floors of the Meriton serviced apartments in Adelaide St are pretty good:

Source: Ray White

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 6th 2016 at 12:05 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For something different Spicers Balfour in neighbouring New Farm always seems to get good write ups. It is in a traditional queenslander and has a roof bar with restricted city views.

Source: Spicers Luxury Hotels & Retreats - Perfect for romantic getaways

Source: Spicers Luxury Hotels & Retreats - Perfect for romantic getaways

Source: Trip Advisor

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 6th 2016 at 11:37 am.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As goldchoccycoin said hotels at southbank are in a great location for restaurants/bars/markets/galleries/performing arts etc.

If you look to the centre left of the photo below, the first continuous row of buildings behind the parklands on little stanley host many restaurants/cafes/bars etc (southbank has around 70 all up) and the taller row behind it are where the hotels are.

You can also see to the right of the picture, behind the big wheel, the convention centre, abc studios, conservatorium of music, performing arts complex. Off picture further to the right is the queensland museum, art gallery, state library, the edge and gallery of modern art.

The view from Southbank back to the city is not as nice as the story bridge side of the city but the location probably makes up for it.

View from Rydges Southbank:

Source: Rydges

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 6th 2016 at 12:02 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you do stay at Southbank a nice place for dinner with city views is the River Quay precinct of southbank:

See here for choices: River Quay
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
The view from the high floors of the Meriton serviced apartments in Adelaide St are pretty good:

https://pix6.agoda.net/hotelimages/2...0037756969.jpg

https://cdn1.rwaws.com/s3/rw-media/p...delaide-96.jpg

I've stayed on those. I thought they were crap.

I generally stay in the Marriot. Views of the bridge and river which is kind of nice if you like a brown river and bridge. City view is a bit naff.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As well as Southbank I recommend a trip to Roma St Parklands if you have the time. It is only 10 mins walk from the Queen St Mall but many overlook it. It is the "world's largest subtropical garden in a city centre".

Source: Australian Adventure

If walking from Southbank take this footbridge from the GOMA end of southbank (there are 3 bridges to choose from):

Source: http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com

After you have crossed the bridge go straight ahead into Roma St train station, tell them you are just crossing and they give you a temporary ticket to cross to platform 10. Go up the travelator, exit across the pedestrian crossing and take the elevator up to the gardens.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 6th 2016 at 12:35 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
I've stayed on those. I thought they were crap.

I generally stay in the Marriot. Views of the bridge and river which is kind of nice if you like a brown river and bridge. City view is a bit naff.
For a balanced view of it I looked at tripadvisor and it comes in at number #5 of 167 hotels. Always depends on your room I suppose.

Yes the marriot is in the city, rather than looking at it, so views would be limited if you had a view at all. Google offers this up:

source: http://images.leisurecom.com
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For something different Spicers Balfour in neighbouring New Farm always seems to get good write ups. It is in a traditional queenslander and has a roof bar with restricted city views.
I had a look at the website thinking it looked great from that photo. I was expecting beautiful traditional but high quality Queenslander rooms, instead they are a huge disappointment, could be a hotel room anywhere.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I lived on the 63rd floor of this building for 6 months last year (it's part hotel and part residential). Not all rooms have the river view but you still get some nice views from all sides of the building.

Don't stay at the Adina Apartment hotel by the Story Bridge unless you are super fit (Ivory Lane is one of the steepest streets in Brisbane).

https://pix6.agoda.net/hotelimages/2...0037756969.jpg

https://cdn1.rwaws.com/s3/rw-media/p...delaide-96.jpg

Last edited by cappuccino; Apr 6th 2016 at 2:56 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I lived on the 63rd floor of this building for 6 months last year (it's part hotel and part residential). Not all rooms have the river view but you still get some nice views from all sides of the building.

Don't stay at the Adina Apartment hotel by the Story Bridge unless you are super fit (Ivory Lane is one of the steepest streets in Brisbane).
I ride my bicycle up that lane
Old Apr 6th 2016, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I had a look at the website thinking it looked great from that photo. I was expecting beautiful traditional but high quality Queenslander rooms, instead they are a huge disappointment, could be a hotel room anywhere.
That is really disappointing. I don't know why they would do that to a lovely old quenslander.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I ride my bicycle up that lane
I once saw a guy rollerblading up it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.