Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane heat hell

Brisbane heat hell

Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat hell

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work. I work in an office in the CBD so I am suited and booted when I leave the house but the time I arrive at work I am sweating like a rapist and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable and unpresentable. No doubt the expansive sweat patches in embarrassing (and intimate) places are raising more than the odd eye at work. How do you avoid this sweatiness? Even if I wore a thong I'd still be sweating like a faucet by the time I got into work.
Unfortunately this is just the way they like it in Qld...and it will only get worse. Because they reject they idea of daylight savings the sun can be quite high in the sky already during the morning commute. I used to hate it...step out the shower, dry off, start sweating again...humidity is high in the morning. It's a terrible way to start the day...you wouldn't mind if it was on the way home from work. As mentioned, the best solution is probably to shower at work if it bothers you.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Unfortunately this is just the way they like it in Qld...and it will only get worse. Because they reject they idea of daylight savings the sun can be quite high in the sky already during the morning commute. I used to hate it...step out the shower, dry off, start sweating again...humidity is high in the morning. It's a terrible way to start the day...you wouldn't mind if it was on the way home from work. As mentioned, the best solution is probably to shower at work if it bothers you.

I never got used to the light at 4.30 am in summer, that should be the middle of the night. The school run at 8 am it could be 30C on the car.

Big flurry of people exercising, dog walking, beaching, biking by 5am to get out there before it really heats up. Its certainly different, then many have lights out by 8.30 so can repeat again next day
Old Oct 10th 2014, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we do need daylight savings, AFAIK its well supported in SEQld but not up north, the story goes the farmers are worried it would upset the cows and fade the curtains.

Not having DS is also nuts when doing business with Sydney & Melbourne.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 1:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work
drive
Old Oct 10th 2014, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work. I work in an office in the CBD so I am suited and booted when I leave the house but the time I arrive at work I am sweating like a rapist and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable and unpresentable. No doubt the expansive sweat patches in embarrassing (and intimate) places are raising more than the odd eye at work. How do you avoid this sweatiness? Even if I wore a thong I'd still be sweating like a faucet by the time I got into work.
It will take about 18 months or two summers to acclimatise.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 2:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Hmmm, not sure about that. I lived there for 5 years, and to be honest I didn't have a problem with the heat in general. But, the one thing I did always hate was the traipse from the train station to the office under the beating sun in the morning for a few months of the year. I know exactly what rabble is referring to.

I love the fact that it cools down at night in Melbourne over summer!
Old Oct 10th 2014, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hmmm, not sure about that. I lived there for 5 years, and to be honest I didn't have a problem with the heat in general. But, the one thing I did always hate was the traipse from the train station to the office under the beating sun in the morning for a few months of the year. I know exactly what rabble is referring to.

I love the fact that it cools down at night in Melbourne over summer!
Yeah, true. I'm just thinking more along the lines of this time next year he won't be sweating it out as bad at 20°C in the morning with low humidity as the weather is now.

The same happened to me mostly.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Even after 7 yrs here i can start work at 6am at wacol and be sweating my tits off by 6:10 ( granted i am not in the higher echelon, having no aircon whilst building trucks)
Old Oct 10th 2014, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
drive
Well, it depends on parking arrangements though, for the OP.

Myself, I ride my motorbike to work with lots of ventilation, but still once I'm walking the few minutes to work I'll be sweating in the humid summer months.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We landed 24th November, I had definitely acclimatised by christmas. Following year the duvet didn't come off the bed.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:19 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You moved to hell,so expect heat.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You moved to hell,so expect heat.
Yep, been here 11 years, still waiting to acclimatise to hell.....!!
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We landed 24th November, I had definitely acclimatised by christmas. Following year the duvet didn't come off the bed.
You were obviously born and grew up in the wrong hemisphere. I am so glad you have found a match for your temperature gene.

I love the heat too, but I will no doubt have the fan or air-con on during the hot summer nights.

I love it and wouldn't swap it for anything else.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:24 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You were obviously born and grew up in the wrong hemisphere. I am so glad you have found a match for your temperature gene.

I love the heat too, but I will no doubt have the fan or air-con on during the hot summer nights.

I love it and wouldn't swap it for anything else.
Not even for a huge biltong sandwich ???
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Not even for a huge biltong sandwich ???
Now you're talking!! We get those over here too. Easy meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.