Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane heat hell

Brisbane heat hell

Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat hell

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a joke, honestly. I've had an eye appointment cancelled, made 8 months ago, because the clinic is on South Bank and they've decided its easier togive the staff a week off. We also had a trip to Albion dog track planned forworknext Thursday and have now been told the track is closing due to G20.
How much of the city are they actually closing for this thing then?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
How much of the city are they actually closing for this thing then?
Quite a lot aroudn South Brisbane and the CBD, also around the Showgrounds. The northern busway is shut from Rpyal Children's at Herston through the city, South Brisbane station is shut. Traffic chaos basically, as all the northern-city buese will be abck on the roads having been forced off the busway!

https://www.g20.org/community_inform..._and_transport
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, why have this thing in the middle of a City, and cause all this bloody disruption??! Why not fly them all out to Uluru, or better yet a temporary canvas city in the middle of whoop whoop? Far easier to police, the only danger the odd snake, and no disruption to services such as health, education etc?

Makes me
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:24 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a lot aroudn South Brisbane and the CBD, also around the Showgrounds. The northern busway is shut from Rpyal Children's at Herston through the city, South Brisbane station is shut. Traffic chaos basically, as all the northern-city buese will be abck on the roads having been forced off the busway!

https://www.g20.org/community_inform..._and_transport
They had one of these G20 things in Wales a couple ofmonths ago, lots of Police on the motorways etcbut life went on as usual. What were they thinking having it right in Brisbane.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:15 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
They had one of these G20 things in Wales a couple ofmonths ago, lots of Police on the motorways etcbut life went on as usual. What were they thinking having it right in Brisbane.
There's a map on thhttp://britishexpats.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=11464390is link in today's Courier

Queensland Red Zone activated

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 7th 2014 at 3:21 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Its a joke, honestly. I've had an eye appointment cancelled, made 8 months ago, because the clinic is on South Bank and they've decided its easier togive the staff a week off. We also had a trip to Albion dog track planned forworknext Thursday and have now been told the track is closing due to G20.
Its fair enough. It wouldn't be good parading the Brisbane bogans on the world stage.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Beoz
Its fair enough. It wouldn't be good parading the Brisbane bogans on the world stage.
I'm still hoping for a major security scare between now and Monday, resulting in Brisbane Airport closing and me being stranded in the UK
Old Nov 7th 2014, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still hoping for a major security scare between now and Monday, resulting in Brisbane Airport closing and me being stranded in the UK
There are enough Avis mini buses parked on the vacant lot across from the Gabba to stretch from here to the UK so I'm sure they could find a way to get you back here.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

How about Bernie goes over with a weapon of his choice and waves it around for you.

Then we can extricate him from the mess.

(NB ahem note that I am not volunteering to go in)
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:58 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Kim67
There are enough Avis mini buses parked on the vacant lot across from the Gabba to stretch from here to the UK so I'm sure they could find a way to get you back here.
B&gger

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How about Bernie goes over with a weapon of his choice and waves it around for you.

Then we can extricate him from the mess.

(NB ahem note that I am not volunteering to go in)
Old Nov 8th 2014, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe all hell will break loose with the G20 summit and you'll be stranded. Red zone came into effect today.

Two items you can't be found with on your person if searched are, a reptile, a skateboard.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Maybe all hell will break loose with the G20 summit and you'll be stranded. Red zone came into effect today.

Two items you can't be found with on your person if searched are, a reptile, a skateboard.
....and eggs!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey ladies, just walked back from a day of shopping in the city and there are 30-50 year old, well dressed, buff men everywhere around Southbank and walking into the city.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Hey ladies, just walked back from a day of shopping in the city and there are 30-50 year old, well dressed, buff men everywhere around Southbank and walking into the city.
American Security? well dressed and buff sounds a far cry from the norm in bris
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
American Security? well dressed and buff sounds a far cry from the norm in bris
Yep, that would be my guess. I did see some not so well dressed and buff guys staying at the apartment complex next door and they had Aussie accents. The big group I saw down at Southbank definitely looked like American ex servicemen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.