Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane heat hell

Brisbane heat hell

Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat hell

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Unlikely. I have consulted the weather records and it should not get much worse than this, bar the odd week.
I think the day you posted this was just after the one day of 33C in some inner suburbs. That day plus a lot more humidity would be like summer. You are right it was VERY hot that day.

From now on the sun gets far more intense, UV in dec jan feb is often 13 or 14, the UV is out of safe levels around 6.30 am. Its light at 4.20 and the storms start up usually about November. So although it says avg summer temp 28 or whatever they reckon, it will feel a lot hotter than it does now.

Summer IMO is not Australias best season, you can switch hot n sticky for hot as hells furnace days down south. Heat like a blowtorch.

Brisbane has one big advantage, the bush fly plagues ( the eyes, ears, nose invading flies) you get in Victoria, SA, parts of NSW, WA does not affect Brisbane and the Coasts. Flies? or Massive Storms, I would take the Storms any day
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely. I have consulted the weather records and it should not get much worse than this, bar the odd week.
You 're obviously thinking of a different Brisbane from the one I've been living in for the last decade.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Ha,ha you really are a wind up merchant !
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When I worked in the city it was a 10 minute walk from the bus station to the office (and 12 minutes to the bus to start with). It can be a killer but you learn to manage it. Keep your work clothes at work, or carry them, change when you get there. And plan your route through the city, I got tips from my colleagues as to the best route, not the quickest but the coolest - you can dodge through shopping arcades, and down indoor laneways through big office blocks, especially around Elizabeth/Queen and Charlotte St, and leave yourself time, don't take the latest possible train then you aren't rushing to the office.
Tell the truth you were just looking for more drinking establishments ! Frequented the Charming Squire yet ?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to burst your bubble but if that's what you seriously believe you're in for a bit of an eye opener come December/January.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is wishful thinking! It will get much worse, January and February are very humid. Why don't you take the word of people living here? People have no need to pretend..
I thought you lived in Sydney? Besides the summer weather is just something I'll have to experience myself.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in the city it was a 10 minute walk from the bus station to the office (and 12 minutes to the bus to start with). It can be a killer but you learn to manage it. Keep your work clothes at work, or carry them, change when you get there. And plan your route through the city, I got tips from my colleagues as to the best route, not the quickest but the coolest - you can dodge through shopping arcades, and down indoor laneways through big office blocks, especially around Elizabeth/Queen and Charlotte St, and leave yourself time, don't take the latest possible train then you aren't rushing to the office.
This is good advice. I work on one of those mentioned streets. I find the CBD pleasant to walkthrough in spite of the heat because there are vast shadows cast by the tall buildings and the chilled arcades that are easy to duck into for a quick cool down. Its just a shame the rest of Brisbane's pavements are bald and isolated for the sun. This is the problem.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you lived in Sydney? Besides the summer weather is just something I'll have to experience myself.
I do live in Sydney, but I spent a couple of days a week in Brisbane on average. Sometimes skip a week and sometimes spend the whole week there. I stay at a hotel ten minutes walk from the office and set off before 7am whilst it is a little cooler ... sure I explained this earlier.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the BOM observations will probably have the avg temp now around 25 and still only about 28 in february. All the blurb will read avg of 27/28 in summer.

BUT, its the intensity of the sun and the humidity that makes it feel 10 degrees hotter. Its rare the temps soar, but summer is just one long month after month muggy relentless heat day and night.

The heat will start to build as the rain gets more frequent, and it will get cooler again about a third of the way through April.

I never got used to it not the heat, not the humidity, and certainly not the UV. But we know people from Cairns and Darwin who just love the 'mild' summers here.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:24 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Tell the truth you were just looking for more drinking establishments ! Frequented the Charming Squire yet ?
No, I'm concentrating on good old English pubs at present )))

Will try the Squire on my return!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

This is good advice. I work on one of those mentioned streets. I find the CBD pleasant to walkthrough in spite of the heat because there are vast shadows cast by the tall buildings and the chilled arcades that are easy to duck into for a quick cool down. Its just a shame the rest of Brisbane's pavements are bald and isolated for the sun. This is the problem.
If you want more trees planted, perhaps lobby Brisbane City Council?

But really, trees can only do so much. You live in a hot country now and you'll have to do your best to adapt.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Summer looks set to unleash its fury.

Over the next week brisbane gets up to 36C and ipswich up to 39. When they are predicting those temps its gonna be real hot

Its been a nice mid 20's, sunny, low humidity consistently for a month or so now, not next week.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Over the next week brisbane gets up to 36C and ipswich up to 39. When they are predicting those temps its gonna be real hot

Its been a nice mid 20's, sunny, low humidity consistently for a month or so now, not next week.
I've just been in Singapore. It was only 27 degs but you couldn't walk 100 metres without a bucket of water dripping from the forehead.

Not a great sight turning up to meet clients.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Thank the lord I'm in Bristol this month instead
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank the lord I'm in Bristol this month instead
I didn't know you were home for a while, Polly! Bet you're loving it and having lots of fun. Good timing, too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.