Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane heat hell

Brisbane heat hell

Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat hell

Sounds like it time to wheel this one out again. Could be worse...

August 31

Just got transferred with work from Leeds UK to our new home in Karratha, Western Australia. Now this is a town that knows how to live! Beautiful, sunny days and warm, balmy evenings. I watched the sunset from a deckchair by our pool yesterday. It was beautiful. I’ve finally found my new home. I love it here.

September 13

Really heating up now. It got to 31 today. No problem though. Living in air-conditioned home, driving air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I’m turning into a sun-worshipper – no blasted rain like back in Leeds!!

September 30

Had the back yard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. No more mowing lawns for me! Another scorcher today, but I love it here. It’s Paradise!

October 10

The temperature hasn’t been below 35 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least today it’s windy though. Keeps the flies off a bit. Acclimatizing is taking longer than we expected.
yutiyr
October 15
Fell asleep by the pool yesterday. Got third degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed three days off work. What a dumb thing to do. Got to respect the old sun in a climate like this!
yutiyr
October 20
Didn’t notice Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car before I left for work this morning. By the time I got back to the car after work, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stuck to the upholstery. The car now smells like Whiskettes and cat shit. I’ve learned my lesson though: no more pets in this heat.

October 25

This wind is a bastard. It feels like a giant ****ing blow dryer. And it’s hot as hell! The home air conditioner is on the blink and the repair man charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needs to order parts from ****ing Perth ….The wife & the kids are complaining.

October 30

The temperature’s up around 40 and the parts still haven’t arrived for the ****ing air conditioner. House is an oven so we’ve all been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $600,000 house and we can’t even go inside. Why the hell did I ever come here?

November 4

Finally got the ****ing air-conditioner fixed. It cost $1,500 and gets the temperature down to around 25 degrees, but the humidity makes it feel about 35. Stupid repairman. ****ing thief.

November 8

If one more smart bastard says ‘Hot enough for you today?’ I’m going to ****ing throttle him. ****ing heat! By the time I get to work, the car radiator is boiling over, my ****ing clothes are soaking ****ing wet and I smell like baked cat. ****ing place is the end of the Earth.

November 9

Tried to run some errands after work, wore shorts, and sat on the black leather upholstery in my car. I thought my ****ing arse was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh, all the hair on the backs of my legs and off my ****ing arse. Now the car smells like burnt hair, fried arse and baked cat. ****. ****. ****.

November 10

The Weather report might as well be a ****ing recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny, Hot and ****ing sunny. It never ****ing changes! It’s been too hot to do anything for 2 ****ing months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. ****!

November 15

Doesn’t it ever rain in this damn ****ing place? Water restrictions will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms might just dry up and blow into the ****ing pool. The only things that thrive in this ****ing hell-hole are the ****ing flies. You don’t dare open your mouth for fear of swallowing half a dozen of the little bastards!

November 20

Welcome to HELL! It got to 45 ****in’ degrees today. Now the air conditioner’s gone in my car. The repair man came to fix it and said, ‘Hot enough for you today?’ I wanted to shove the ****ing car up his ****ing arse. Anyway, had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail me out of jail for assaulting the stupid prick. ****ing Karratha! What kind of sick, demented ****ing idiot would want to live here!

December 1

WHAT!!!! The FIRST day of Summer!!!! You are ****ing kidding me!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:33 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No matter how many times I have to drive down into NSW (currently at least 8 times a week) I will never vote for DS.
I think it should have been dealt with at a federal level. Either the entire east coast moves an hour or it doesn't... not QLD this and NSW that.

I don't like DS as it means I have to keep track of software and servers in various locations and everything needs to be aligned, but on a grand scale of things I think Australia is far enough from the equator to warrant a simple hourly shift to "light things up" earlier during Winter.

Overall my fav day has always been the one where they move the clock forward during Summer (everywhere I've lived has had DST...except for Singapore). Suddenly from one day to the next you get an extra hour of daylight to make those late night bbq's even better.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I think it should have been dealt with at a federal level. Either the entire east coast moves an hour or it doesn't... not QLD this and NSW that.

I don't like DS as it means I have to keep track of software and servers in various locations and everything needs to be aligned, but on a grand scale of things I think Australia is far enough from the equator to warrant a simple hourly shift to "light things up" earlier during Winter.

Overall my fav day has always been the one where they move the clock forward during Summer (everywhere I've lived has had DST...except for Singapore). Suddenly from one day to the next you get an extra hour of daylight to make those late night bbq's even better.
Of course it should be a federal decision, as with so many things in Aus. But the State Governments are precious and won't surrender anything to federal level without a fight

(and yes, I work for the State, and can see that some things do work at State level, but there s a lot that I'm sure could be done more efficiently at federal level.)
Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Well we in NSW aren't shifting. After work I like going for a swim at the beach, doing a spot of fishing, cycling around the park, having a beer watching the sunset, playing a quick 9 holes of golf ............. you know all those things that use daylight.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Ok so I am loving Logan so far but I am struggling with the heat, in particular the 20 min walk to work. I work in an office in the CBD so I am suited and booted when I leave the house but the time I arrive at work I am sweating like a rapist and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable and unpresentable. No doubt the expansive sweat patches in embarrassing (and intimate) places are raising more than the odd eye at work. How do you avoid this sweatiness? Even if I wore a thong I'd still be sweating like a faucet by the time I got into work.
Is this a joke? The temperature is pretty moderate atm with nice cool breezes most days too, well it is on the GC! Just wait until January/February when the humidity kicks in if you're like that now!
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Is this a joke? The temperature is pretty moderate atm with nice cool breezes most days too, well it is on the GC! Just wait until January/February when the humidity kicks in if you're like that now!
To be fair to the OP he did write it the day after that one 33 degree day last week, but in general yes, I agree...he has a few shocks in store in a couple of monthss if he thinks this is bad!
Old Oct 13th 2014, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Yes, the weather is lovely and cool in the evenings. But try walking 20 minutes with NO shade wearing a suit and tie at burn-o-clock in the morning.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the weather is lovely and cool in the evenings. But try walking 20 minutes with NO shade wearing a suit and tie at burn-o-clock in the morning.
Take an umbrella,not for the rain but for the sun
Old Oct 13th 2014, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Take an umbrella,not for the rain but for the sun
Or wear a wide-brimmed hat.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You walk 20 minutes in the morning? - that's classed as exercise. Don't fight it. Take a gym bag and shower at work if you have a shower at work.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So don't walk it! You are not in England anymore.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So don't walk it! You are not in England anymore.
If you do you certainly don't do it wearing the tie and jacket. (Well, not unless it's winter of course).
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:39 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you R.R. anything over 25C is just plain rude. Only 6 months to go until Autumn, so hang on in there.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Next months post "Whats it like living in Tassie?"
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney's really cool at the mo, really really cool.

Snowed on the blue mountains last night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.