Brisbane heat!

Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Default Brisbane heat!

HI
Im hopefully moving to Brisbane just wondered if anyone living there could advise me on the heat!

Ive looked at climate charts but hubby can get very sweaty in the heat! how do people cope with it?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:49 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane heat!

you get used to it, just don't over use the air cond you can end up a prisoner in your home or the shopping centers.
Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
HI
Im hopefully moving to Brisbane just wondered if anyone living there could advise me on the heat!

Ive looked at climate charts but hubby can get very sweaty in the heat! how do people cope with it?

Last edited by themerlin; Apr 19th 2007 at 9:52 am.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:50 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

HI

You do get used it - we did at least, and pretty quickly. Of course there are a handful of summer days when it's very hot and sticky and you just sweat. But then so does everybody else so nobody cares We were fearing the worst when summer was approaching but handled it pretty well.

Originally Posted by themerlin
you get used to it, just don't over use the air cond you can end up a prisoner in your home or the shopping centers.
Not to mention ending up working overtime to pay the electricity bills

In Darwin, the big shopping centre (Casuarina Square) is like Mecca on a Saturday afternoon
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:39 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

HI

You do get used to it, We live in a split level home and catch all the breezes from across the estate. We do not have air-con but each room has a fan. We have the windows and doors open all the time to keep the place cool. The doors and windows all have fly screens to stop cockies coming in as well as blowies. We also have blinds which we keep closed during the hottest part of the day, they keep the house cool and the sun out. At work most of the building has air-con so it makes life comfortable.

One advantage is your washing dries in half an hour.

Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

HI

I dont think you can ever get used to it . Some days are just bloody HOT.You just learn to put up with it. Its only 3 months and the rest of the year makes up for it. You learn how to walk in the shade spend 5 minutes in the booze freezer run to the car, park under cover. Always looking for a tree when parking. Switching engine on 5 minutes before getting in car and if u work outside sometimes like me following the shade whenever possible.Biggest brimmed hat u can find and drinking plenty of fluids. Especially VB
Raven
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:51 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

HI

Does get hot and sticky in Brisbane in the middle of summer but not so much that you couldn't live here.

Your hubby will just dream of aircon if you don't have it.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:11 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore

In Darwin, the big shopping centre (Casuarina Square) is like Mecca on a Saturday afternoon
Worst part about that is that every man and his dog will congregate there as well.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:19 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Worst part about that is that every man and his dog will congregate there as well.
Every man and his BO soaked armpits congregates there
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:15 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

I read on another site 'Livingin-australia' that many of the schools in Queensland do not have aircon. What are your experiences of this. I think my kids would die if there was no relief from the heat at school. Possiby moving to Brisbane.

Cheers
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived here in Brisbane all of 11 weeks ago the temperature was 34 and after leaving Paisleys slightly cooler minus 1 it was hard, the house we rented had ceiling fans but no aircon, the first 2 weeks it was impossible not to sweat, the water here out of the cold tap is even warm so a cold shower is not an option.Now 11 weks in I dont sweat at all unless i excersise and you dont notice. Its slightly cooler now just 27-29 and you will suffer, dont sit around aircon all the time or you will catch cold and never get used to it. Your first 6weeks will be like hell but after that no problems. Also beware the Aussie sun it is not a myth you will burn a lot quicker than in Spain or Florida and I do mean a lot quicker. But its bloody brilliant.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

HI

I find there's about 2-3 weeks of unbearable heat in Summer. But the rest of the time it's fantastic.
J.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:02 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

I read on another site 'Livingin-australia' that many of the schools in Queensland do not have aircon. What are your experiences of this. I think my kids would die if there was no relief from the heat at school. Possiby moving to Brisbane.
Cheers
No aircon but ours has survived so far.

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I find there's about 2-3 weeks of unbearable heat in Summer. But the rest of the time it's fantastic.
J.
You used to spend all year dreaming of that in UK for it not to happen and have to wait another year for the next round of summer.

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Our dogs got standards he's not just mixing with anyone, especially sweaty people.