Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane, Gold or Sunshine Coast????

Brisbane, Gold or Sunshine Coast????

Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane, Gold or Sunshine Coast????

Hi

I know this is prob a vague question but we are looking at either Brisbane, Gold or Sunshine Coast and obviously all have different things to offer. But advice from people who are already there is invaluable.

A little about us:
Married with two children aged 6 and 3 so good schools, we dont mind paying a little more for a nice area, near the coast ideally no further than 20 mins drive ish!! On the doorstep even better. OH a joiner so could a particular place offer more work?? Im a teacher.

We enjoy family life with childrens park and we ideally would like to live in a family orientated place (Ramsey Street would be perfect)!! okay back to reality any advice would be appreciated. I have trawled through this site and differing messages about North and South. thanks again Nicky
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane, Gold or Sunshine Coast????

How about in the middle ?

Brisbane Bayside

Choosing an area is very difficult, especially from so far away.

Both the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast have good things going for them, especially the proper surf beaches.

Redcliffe is a great area for young children, with what I feel is a very safe water area.

I opted for Brisbane Bayside (Redlands area) as it is suitable for us.
A quite and safe feeling area, that is very near water, a small beach, no waves. 1 hour drive to Brisbane CBD, but with all the shops we need within 2 minute drive from the house.

Other people will have found other areas that are also totally suitable for them.
If I had to re choose an area, I would probably go closer to the Gold Coast, but only because my daughter is now getting older, 12, and loves to pop down to Wet 'n' Wild, which is about 45 minutes away from us now.

Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:39 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunshine Coast is perfect for kids and for family life. Currumbin state school actually has surfing lessons first thing on a monday!

House prices are similar to other areas

Its quieter and less touristy than Gold Coast - this is good and bad.
Its really beautiful and I think there is lots to do for the children if not so much for adults. There are plenty of shops, restaurants etc but if you are expecting to go to a ballet, maybe not the best place.

Not as good for work unless you go on your own - there was a shortage but I see lots of carpenters complaining they cant get work.

We love it and can't think of a nicer place for our children.

I didnt like Brisbane but its safe and some people do like it - no sea is an issue.
Gold Coast is somewhere I would live too, there are quite a few people on here that can give advice there.

Vivienne
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:57 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by viviennef
Sunshine Coast is perfect for kids and for family life. Currumbin state school actually has surfing lessons first thing on a monday!

House prices are similar to other areas

Its quieter and less touristy than Gold Coast - this is good and bad.
Its really beautiful and I think there is lots to do for the children if not so much for adults. There are plenty of shops, restaurants etc but if you are expecting to go to a ballet, maybe not the best place.

Not as good for work unless you go on your own - there was a shortage but I see lots of carpenters complaining they cant get work.

We love it and can't think of a nicer place for our children.

I didnt like Brisbane but its safe and some people do like it - no sea is an issue.
Gold Coast is somewhere I would live too, there are quite a few people on here that can give advice there.

Vivienne
I agree with most of these points, Sunshine coast (where we currently are) IS a nice place for young children and the beaches are really nice and easily accessible.
BUT unfortunately job prospects are REALLY bad here - we know alot of people here now and all say the same, it takes most of them 6-10months to secure ft work. We have been here 5months and partner has worked 5wks! It is OK if you are in hospitality as this is a tourist place.
I am only telling you the truth - no rose tints as the reality is that you, as we have, could arrive with a young family to support and come across the same problems that most people that come to the SC do.
There are better job prospects the nearer to Brisbane you get. If i could give you some advice. looking back on our mistakes, i would say try to stay in the middle for a bit, say a Brisbane suburb. Then from there you can easily access the Sunshine coast - just over an hour, and the gold coast which is about the same. You can then explore job oportunities from there.
I wish you goodluck and if you need anymore info you can PM me
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:46 pm

Jobs is a big issue unless you open your own business - then you have to get work for that of course.... Another struggle on the coast, we work all over Australia.

Teaching though - you can get a job I think pretty easily.

I would really look into the job thing before coming. The big thing to remember is unless your partner gets a license then he is really just like any other unskilled worker - he needs to work for someone with a license. So it is no point thinking I am a carpenter and I cant get a job - you are only a carpenter by trade when you have your QBSA number

So in that transitional time before the bsa grant the license - he is like a labourer. You can start the BSA process before you get to QLD - other states dont have that problem, at least not to the extreme.
conteq.com.au can help you too.

For joiners I am not sure but I every trade is pretty much tied up with the licensing so I am sure it will be the same. I was speaking to a sparky yesterday - hes on $22 an hour and it goes up to $28 when he gets his license
Vivienne

Last edited by viviennef; Jan 12th 2009 at 11:55 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:25 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Definately the sunshine coast for young families, but thats just my opinion, not keen on the gold coast its very touristy but good for your hols, and i dont like brisbane not much of a city person, i love being by the beach, the sunny coast has fabulous beaches, nice shopping centres amazing schools what more can you ask for, regarding jobs everyone we know struggles to find work but if you hang in there it all comes together eventually everything takes time, we were lucky as i secured a job for my hubby whilst in the uk so we knew where we were going to live and amazingly its turned out great, good luck with ur adventure colleen
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Wow thank you all for your advice - so much to take in. Just one more question how far is Redcliffe Bayside from CBD and the sunshine and goldcoast? Distances are something I need to research more and one final one needing a good primary school. Nicky
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:52 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nbn8
Wow thank you all for your advice - so much to take in. Just one more question how far is Redcliffe Bayside from CBD and the sunshine and goldcoast? Distances are something I need to research more and one final one needing a good primary school. Nicky
Hi Redcliffe is about 45mins from Caloundra/sunshine coast and should only be about half an hour from Brissy - traffic permitting. We looked at Redcliffe before we came to the Sunshine coast, i wish we had gone there, it is far more accessible to the city and it does have a beach. It is not as pretty as the Sunshine coast though, but as i say work is a problem here. At least if you are in Redcliffe you can get to the Sunny pretty easily to visit all our nice beaches and we go down to the Goldie for wknds, from Redcliffe it would only take around 1.5hr.
If you want to find out distances you can go on www.racq.com.au there is a trip planner on there
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi Redcliffe is about 45mins from Caloundra/sunshine coast and should only be about half an hour from Brissy - traffic permitting.
Not at commuting times though.

G
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:18 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya also try whereis.com that will give you an idea you can easily travel to work and live on the sunshine coast, i wouldnt want to live anywhere else.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:40 pm

I wouldnt say easily travel to work if you worked in Brisbane. I often contract in brisbane - will only work northside or central and usually end up staying down there for 2 or 3 nights a week.

This is because I have 3 children and if I spent 3 hours in the car plus get caught in traffic and do an 8hr + day my kids wouldnt see me. Plus we have accomodation down there to stay in.

Northside is an easy commute.

My husband works regularly in brisbane and always commutes, he doesnt work regular hours though so beats the rush. My friend is a sparky and leaves at 5.30 to get to work by 7.30 and then doesnt get in until 4.30 - 5. It can be very tiring.

Heaps of people do though, I dont find it too taxing for a couple of months when the job is in the right place but you have to be careful where the job is.

I would much rather commute than live in Brisbane personally and what I found is that its ok to think "oh I will live in the centre, its only an hour to the beach" but most people I know very rarely go if the they dont live close. We go most days, even if its just for a walk with the dog or to play in the sand. Even when I am miserable, a couple of minutes by the sea will always cheer me up and I dont think you get that living away from the coast.
Vivienne

Last edited by viviennef; Jan 13th 2009 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

Brisbane is about an hour and 15mins drive from the Sunshine Coast although it can be more or less depending on the time of day, finding a place to park and constant roadworks. It is usually a major factor for people wanting to migrate that they live near to Brisbane but unless you are intending to work there people tend to go down less and less as you quickly get used to the place in which you live. I am totally biased and would tell you that The Sunshine Coast is by far the best but it really depends on what you want from your migration.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:28 pm

I'll second that, oo but i did love sydney pre kids.

I would be quite happy to stay on coast, I hate going to brissie The main hospitals are there so my little girl has appointments far too often, work gets me there etc etc

Viv
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

I'm not sure if you have seen this already but it gives you a tiny and somewhat polished snippet of life on the coast.

http://www.realestate.com.au/doc/loc...roochydore.htm

Last edited by Sunshine Coast Settlers; Jan 14th 2009 at 12:27 am. Reason: the link wouldn't work
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow once again lots of information to take in. The sunshine coast is certainly sounding inviting. We are wanting quality family time (as is everyone) and valid points re not living near the beach would you travel as often. Can you give me some nice areas on the Sunshine Coast to help with my research.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.