Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Expats Meet

Brisbane Expats Meet

Old Nov 20th 2004, 10:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane Expats Meet

Hi everyone,

Well its that time again to sort out another Brisbane expats meet. Ive been away & very busy recently & no one else has volunteered , so here it is.

For any newbies, this is a family picnic/BBQ in the park get together, anyone is welcome to come along. Pre-christmas can be very busy, the only weekend I see free for us is the 11th/12th, so depending on everyone else, I sugggest that we have it then. Alternately we could have it in the New Year which would be 8/9 or 15/16 Jan.

As for the venue, we could try Wynnum again which was very popular last time. Its now been upgraded & has a water fun park for the kids, as well as the pool, the beach (only for the littlies & their buckets & spades!) & the fabulous new playground. Other suggestions are Southbank (Very nice, but extremely crowded & everyone has to pay for parking), New Farm Park (had it there last time, was ok, but miles away from playground for the kids & only 2 BBQs , I wouldnt choose it again). Main problem with anywhere away from the coast in the city is that it will be stinking hot. One other sugggestion is Redcliffe, however Redcliffe has the disadvantage of it not being as central as say Wynnum or Southbank.

Anyway, its over to everyone else for suggestions/comments .
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:08 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane Expats Meet

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi everyone,

Well its that time again to sort out another Brisbane expats meet. Ive been away & very busy recently & no one else has volunteered , so here it is.

For any newbies, this is a family picnic/BBQ in the park get together, anyone is welcome to come along. Pre-christmas can be very busy, the only weekend I see free for us is the 11th/12th, so depending on everyone else, I sugggest that we have it then. Alternately we could have it in the New Year which would be 8/9 or 15/16 Jan.

As for the venue, we could try Wynnum again which was very popular last time. Its now been upgraded & has a water fun park for the kids, as well as the pool, the beach (only for the littlies & their buckets & spades!) & the fabulous new playground. Other suggestions are Southbank (Very nice, but extremely crowded & everyone has to pay for parking), New Farm Park (had it there last time, was ok, but miles away from playground for the kids & only 2 BBQs , I wouldnt choose it again). Main problem with anywhere away from the coast in the city is that it will be stinking hot. One other sugggestion is Redcliffe, however Redcliffe has the disadvantage of it not being as central as say Wynnum or Southbank.

Anyway, its over to everyone else for suggestions/comments .
Hey - sounds like a good idea to me!! Like you say, Pre-Christmas can be pretty full on, I know personally I dont have a full free weekend now before January 2005!!

I have Christmas parties on 10th & 11th so that weekend will be pretty packed for us already.... see what everyone else thinks I guess??

I dont know Wynnum very well; my personal preference though would be there (based on reviews from last time) New Farm or Redcliffe. As said Southbank can be just too busy!! We went up the river on the boat yesterday and moored at Southbank for lunch, even on an overcast/rainy day it was pretty packed
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:32 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

I'm all for meeting up with a few of my fellow (and/or fellowesses / fellowettes / fellowlets / fellowlings ?! ) BE members.

Personally, for outer areas, I like Redcliffe, but then I'm a northsider. Have you considered Roma Street Parklands? They're pretty good and very central.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 12:29 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Hi we are up for the meet but it will probably need to be somewhere thats not going to be terribly busy and bad for parking!!!!!!
Wynums very nice and that would be good for those of us that have kids which i'm sure will be a few.

leanne
Old Nov 21st 2004, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

January weekends are good for us, that is JTL, Mrs JTL, Jock (4 years old, or human equivalent of 30+ years old with mentality of 7-year-old), and possibly JTL's parents (60+ years old but 10 at heart).

Cheers,
JTL & Mrs
Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:47 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Wynnum eh! Has it really taken that long to rebuild it after the last meet ?
Might be just in time to pick up the Christmas supplies instead of just in time for the January sales. :scared:
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:15 am

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Hiya

I'd like the meet to be in Jan as we will be in Brisbane then

Nikki x
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

We will try to come to the meet. Let me know what date you decide on

Debsy x 4
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so it looks like so far we have 3 votes for Jan & Cresta wants to be able to get his beer for xmas . Jan is coming in favourite so far.

Proofreader, same problem with Roma St, its damn hot in summer, very crowded, hard to find a spot near a BBQ, easy for people to get lost & not find us & you have to pay & display. In fact you can only park for 2 hrs & then technically you're sposed to leave . I considered it for our last meet, but ruled it out in favour of NewFarm Park (which at least has free parking).

Cresta, LOL, its been worth the wait, the playground & water park stuff down there for the kids are excellent! As long as we dont get stuck under the little map shelter again in the rain :scared: .
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:37 pm
ABCDiamond

How about having two meets
One in December 11/12th
and another in January 15/16th ?

Based on my 50% attendance rate so far, i'd probably get to one of them

Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:10 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Proofreader, same problem with Roma St, its damn hot in summer, very crowded, hard to find a spot near a BBQ, easy for people to get lost & not find us & you have to pay & display. In fact you can only park for 2 hrs & then technically you're sposed to leave. I considered it for our last meet, but ruled it out in favour of NewFarm Park (which at least has free parking).
No worries, MrsDagboy, 't were only a suggestion. I can see you've done your homework well and am more than happy to leave the location in your obviously, very capable hands!

I haven't been to New Farm Park for years, but used to go there for bush poetry evenings. They were great. Wonder if they still happen ... ?
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 7:39 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so it looks like so far we have 3 votes for Jan & Cresta wants to be able to get his beer for xmas . Jan is coming in favourite so far.

Cresta, LOL, its been worth the wait, the playground & water park stuff down there for the kids are excellent! As long as we dont get stuck under the little map shelter again in the rain :scared: .
Noooooo don't need any more beer I've got a nice batch of Newcastle Brown fermenting away in the laundry, it was general Christmas fayre I meant.
Not fussed as to a date or a location and at least this time we won't be accused of bringing rain with us
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:35 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We will be arriving on the 5th December but we think a meet in January would be easier to make.

Dont really know any of the locations so will leave that up to the locals!!!

Let me know what is decided, looking forward to meeting everyone.

TT & Miss TT
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MrsDagboy we would be up for a meet will try to make it not fussed if it's before or after, as long as it don't rain.

Terry
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

gazza22222 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just had the one at the Gold Coast (Sun 21st), so count me in for the Brissie one, i'll be ready for another one by then.

Jan is looking best so just select the date and go for it.

Gazza22222

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.