Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Dog Owners

Brisbane Dog Owners

Old Jun 3rd 2016, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane Dog Owners

I'm taking my energetic dog to Brisbane later this year and am looking into the rules and regulations as well as areas I can walk the hound.
It's much more restricted than in the UK so I'd like to have some prior knowledge of what I'm to expect.
Off leash beaches seem few and far between. Are there any surfing beaches that also allow dogs? As far as I can see there isn't. I take it the dog has to be on a lead at all times except in restricted areas?

Anyway, any comments on where and how you walk your dog would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 10:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Dog Owners

Brisbane doesn't have anything close to a surfing beach. Doesn't really have non surfing beaches either unless you live down in Bayside or north around Woody Point. Have you seen this page on the Brisbane City Council website?
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm aware Brisbane doesn't have beaches. I usually travel to the Southern areas of the Gold Coast and am aware that there are a few dog friendly beaches but non of our usual beaches we surf at.
Usually the dog friendly places are where people rather not go, no surf etc.

Also, I'm wondering if it's a case of hiking, do dogs have to be on the lead at all times.

I'm interested in people who have dogs around the Brisbane area and where, how they exersise dogs. Any larger areas of open space. anything that's recommended really.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belle121
Sorry, I'm aware Brisbane doesn't have beaches. I usually travel to the Southern areas of the Gold Coast and am aware that there are a few dog friendly beaches but non of our usual beaches we surf at.
Usually the dog friendly places are where people rather not go, no surf etc.

Also, I'm wondering if it's a case of hiking, do dogs have to be on the lead at all times.

I'm interested in people who have dogs around the Brisbane area and where, how they exersise dogs. Any larger areas of open space. anything that's recommended really.
Well if you fancy 100km drive, Tallebudgera beach and Palm Beach are dog beaches and PB is slightly surfy.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few dog beaches around Brissy - we take Milo to Raby Bay near Birkdale and there's another at Nudgee. Plenty of off leash parks away from the coast, of course. Dogs are not allowed in national parks at all and just about everywhere else it is strictly on a leash or a two hundred plus dollar fine.

We walk regularly on local Bushland and don't bother with a leash - no-one does when it's a remote area but down by the creek (in suburbia) you have to be very careful as plenty of people get fined.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

There is a dog park (large fenced off area) in New Farm Park near the Powerhouse. I'm sure there are other similar parks in other areas.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ah yes I visited Raby bay earlier this year. That's not far from Brisbane it's self.
Yep palm beach as well as Currumbin Waters.

SoCalDon.... What's the score with snakes in bush land off leash?
I had a dog years ago in the Northern Tablelands, a dog given to me from a sheep station so he wasn't used to leashes, I never even thought twice about snakes back then. My current dog is like mad running through woods and the like in search for the elusive deer trail !
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes I visited Raby bay earlier this year. That's not far from Brisbane it's self.

I had a dog years ago in the Northern Tablelands, a dog given to me from a sheep station so he wasn't used to leashes, I never even thought twice about snakes back then. My current dog is like mad running through woods and the like in search for the elusive deer trail !
It is pretty rare to see snakes but they are there and dogs are much more likely to find them than we are. My brother in law lost two dogs a couple of years ago to a black snake at their home so it is a reality.

I'm afraid we just ignore the risk and let Milo off the leash anyway. He has to have a life. We see snakes in the garden here in suburban Carindale so it is just as likely (or unlikely) to happen here as running through the bush.

To put it in perspective, in three years I have seen carpet snakes three times and our green tree snake maybe five times. None of these are poisonous.

Milo did get hit with a Paralysis Tick last year and they are nasty little buggers. At least the symptoms let you know something's wrong and you have time to do something about it. Still $600 at the vets though

Last edited by SoCalDon; Jun 3rd 2016 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Paralysis Tick is your greatest concern in Brisbane. Make sure your dog's tick treatment is up to date at all times.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Birkdale on the coast near Wellington Point and just down the road from me is a large off-leash dog walking park

It's popular but doesn't seem overly busy and it waterfront and pretty.