Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - daylight hours?

Brisbane - daylight hours?

Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Brisbane - daylight hours?

I have read a few posts which state that the long summer evenings in England are missed. Can someone please tell me what time it generally get dark in Brisbane ? (summer and winter).
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:34 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane - daylight hours?

Originally Posted by micnic
I have read a few posts which state that the long summer evenings in England are missed. Can someone please tell me what time it generally get dark in Brisbane ? (summer and winter).
currently goes pitch black about 5:45pm. Been told in the summer it goes about 7:00pm.

R
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but its more warmer when its dark than the UK when its sunny!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:00 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by samnrob2
currently goes pitch black about 5:45pm. Been told in the summer it goes about 7:00pm.

R
Spot on.

What people don't realise is it's lighter in the mornings here in winter as well as summer so you don't get the long cold, dark winter mornings

Overall, you get much the same daylight all year round, with slightly later evenings in summer.

What you don't get here is the shorter / longer seasonal daylight variances as you do in UK so all year round is pretty much on a par.

And no cold, dark, snowy, frosty mornings

At least here in Qld.....YIPPPPEEEEEE

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:07 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Spot on.

What people don't realise is it's lighter in the mornings here in winter as well as summer so you don't get the long cold, dark winter mornings

Overall, you get much the same daylight all year round, with slightly later evenings in summer.

What you don't get here is the shorter / longer seasonal daylight variances as you do in UK so all year round is pretty much on a par.

And no cold, dark, snowy, frosty mornings

At least here in Qld.....YIPPPPEEEEEE
OK, where so I sign up

We speak again, though dark here now . . . . . do you ever feel like your whole life is played out on this Forum????

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

that info helps - thanks. Hard to come to terms with the fact that darkness does not equal cold!!!

Just expanding on the climate of Queensland, do you have many "grey days" as we do here in England. Correction - grey drizzly days! I'm not adverse to rain, just like the weather to get on with it - heavy rain if necessary and then dry up and the sun shine again.

Also thinking about humidity. Have yet to visit but hear that this can be a problem. Have experienced humidity in Florida and Antigua and imagine it would be similar. Any views?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

that info helps - thanks. Hard to come to terms with the fact that darkness does not equal cold!!!

Just expanding on the climate of Queensland, do you have many "grey days" as we do here in England. Correction - grey drizzly days! I'm not adverse to rain, just like the weather to get on with it - heavy rain if necessary and then dry up and the sun shine again.

Also thinking about humidity. Have yet to visit but hear that this can be a problem. Have experienced humidity in Florida and Antigua and imagine it would be similar. Any views?
Not normally alot of grey days, although this winter has been wet, its not normally like that. The bulk of our rain usually falls as summer storms & sometimes rain depressions.

Cant compare the humidity of Florida & Antigua as Ive never been there, but imagine it wouldnt be as bad as those places as they are more tropical than us (Brisbane is subtropical). It certainly gets humid during summer, but most people learn to live with it (& then start complaining about the cold in winter, 'eh PUK? )
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of the time it is a clear blue sky. Grey days are minimal, thank goodness. Also the shade of blue is sooo nice........don't get blue skies like that in UK.
We arrived in January and coped with the humidity but we will see this year.
Amanda
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

I was just having a discussion about this recently. I was thinking I'd miss the long summer evenings but then I thought they don't last very long do they?... and even when we get a nice long summer evening things still get very damp very quickly, unless you sit underneath one of those patio burners all night long.

So give me a shorter summer Brisbane night any time...when you can sit out till 02:00am and still feel warm and dry! Or when you can sit in someones hot tub until late at night and not freeze your but off when you get out!!!!

Roll on those shorter Brisbane hot sweaty nights (ooooeeerrrrr)!

Netta
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:37 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Not normally alot of grey days, although this winter has been wet,

Oh wow!!! Mrs Dagboy complains about the rain!! Stop Press.

But I bet it hasn't been the 'right type' of rain.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
I was just having a discussion about this recently. I was thinking I'd miss the long summer evenings but then I thought they don't last very long do they?... and even when we get a nice long summer evening things still get very damp very quickly, unless you sit underneath one of those patio burners all night long.

So give me a shorter summer Brisbane night any time...when you can sit out till 02:00am and still feel warm and dry! Or when you can sit in someones hot tub until late at night and not freeze your but off when you get out!!!!

Roll on those shorter Brisbane hot sweaty nights (ooooeeerrrrr)!

Netta

Pretty much what I have been thinking - we bought a wood burner for the garden to enable us to sit out at night here - tend to stay outside through sheer determination! Did think about getting hot tub here but decided unless it was enclosed and linked to house by centrally heated passage way would not get the use.

Thing that annoys me the most is how unpredicatable our weather is - with the best will in the world it is difficult to plan social occasions which are based outdoors as you just don't know how it is going to turn out. Houses in Oz seem to accomodate for this with their undercover entertainment areas - very sensible.

More I think about it the more I like the thought of Queensland.

Think I could hand lots of hot sweaty nights!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life

Would like to see exactly where I complained ADL, what you quoted was a fact, not a complaint, you need to try harder next time .
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Only really probably about 6 weeks where it feels unbearable at night. I went through the worst time last summer being 8 months pregnant and survived with no air conditioning just lots of fans and wallowing in the pool
We still miss the long summer nights, it was good getting down to Sydney last year where they get an extra hour in the evening due to daylight saving. Would be great to be able to go to the beach after work like we used to in the UK but still it is pretty good being able to have a swim in the stars after work.
Annie
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:59 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by A dogs life

Actually after thinking about it, I think this is a classic, coming from the forums top whinger about the weather . Would have thought that having a hole the size of the grand Canyon in your pool would have stopped you whinging about the rain, but apparently not .
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

These are the 2003/2004 times from my website. I haven't updated to 2005 yet But the year doesn't seem to make much difference

01/07/2003 Rise 06:39 Set 17:05
01/08/2003 Rise 06:30 Set 17:19
01/09/2003 Rise 06:02 Set 17:34
01/10/2003 Rise 05:28 Set 17:48
01/11/2003 Rise 04:57 Set 18:06
01/12/2003 Rise 04:45 Set 18:29
01/01/2004 Rise 04:56 Set 18:46
01/02/2004 Rise 05:20 Set 18:43
01/03/2004 Rise 05:41 Set 18:20
01/04/2004 Rise 05:58 Set 17:46
01/05/2004 Rise 06:14 Set 17:17
01/06/2004 Rise 06:30 Set 17:01
01/07/2004 Rise 06:39 Set 17:05
01/08/2004 Rise 06:29 Set 17:20
01/09/2004 Rise 06:01 Set 17:35
01/10/2004 Rise 05:27 Set 17:49
01/11/2004 Rise 04:57 Set 18:07
01/12/2004 Rise 04:45 Set 18:30
01/01/2005 Rise 04:56 Set 18:47

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.