Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Day Out-what to see and do?

Brisbane Day Out-what to see and do?

Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane Day Out-what to see and do?

What are people's top tips for a sightseeing day in Brissie?

Can anyone recommend a bar/pub/hotel with a bit of character to have a few beers in-someone's already nominated the Breakfast Creek Hotel?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:43 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Day Out-what to see and do?

Originally Posted by ianandhelena

Can anyone recommend a bar/pub/hotel with a bit of character to have a few beers in-someone's already nominated the Breakfast Creek Hotel?

Why would you want to spend the day in a bar or pub ???

Now there are far better places to visit in Birssie !
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I always like to hop on one of the city tours wherever I am just to get a general look around and you can hop off if something interests you.I did the Brisbane one,years ago now, it was interesting and then hopped off for a trip down the river.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely do a trip on the City Cat, up and down the river, get off at south bank and have a potter around. Maybe walk over to the city over the Goodwill Bridge and check out the botanical gardens, walk further along to the Pig&Whistle on Eagle Street Pier (if English pubs are your thing) and have a few beers overlooking Brisbane river (food is bloody awful there though). You can then get back on the city cat at Eagle Street Pier.

Check out www.ourbrisbane.com for suggested day trips, things to do in Brisbane, forthcoming events etc.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

The Brunswick at New Farm is nice, and New Farm itself has cleaned its act up from 20 yrs ago when it was too close to the undesirable "Valley" part of Brissy. Also some lovely parks and coffee shops too- great atmosphere generally.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacque
The Brunswick at New Farm is nice, and New Farm itself has cleaned its act up from 20 yrs ago when it was too close to the undesirable "Valley" part of Brissy. Also some lovely parks and coffee shops too- great atmosphere generally.
Love New Farm! OP can hop on the city cat at Eagle Street pier and trot on down to New Farm - perfect! Actually the Methyr Road Bowls club could be a goer if it's a nice day. Sounds naff, but it's a great setting, cheap booze and good food and you are overlooking the river. Better than pig and whistle
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:46 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to get up Mount Coo-tha for the view. And I second the idea visiting the Botanic Gardens and City Cat cruise. Roma Street Parklands are also nice to potter around.

Pubs ... character ... mmm ... tricky ... head for the Down Under Bar underneath The Palace Backpackers hostel on Ann Street (near Central Station) ... it certainly has character(s), especially on a Friday lunchtime.

I quite like O'Malleys on the Queen Street Mall but it's not particularly Aussie ... keep meaning to go to the Belgian Beer Cafe too ... The Victory (Hotel) in the CBD is OK too.

(edit) The Brewhouse in the CBD is OK for beer too, they make their own ...

Last edited by Vim Fuego; Feb 21st 2008 at 5:48 am.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Why would you want to spend the day in a bar or pub ???

Now there are far better places to visit in Birssie !
i didn't say i wanted to spend the day in a pub !!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the ideas guys - v helpful ta !
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:40 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I'll agree with all of vim fuego's pub recommendations.... another one that isn't bad, and has "character" is the plough at southbank. And of course the story bridge hotel is always good.

Never been to the breakfast creek hotel..have to try it out one day.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by markallwood
I'll agree with all of vim fuego's pub recommendations.... another one that isn't bad, and has "character" is the plough at southbank. And of course the story bridge hotel is always good.

Never been to the breakfast creek hotel..have to try it out one day.
I'll second The Plough (still got the pool tables?) and The Story Bridge Hotel (I liked the food, others haven't).

Brekky Creek underwhelmed me as did the much-vaunted 'Pineapple' over at Kangaroo point, their steaks were the worst in Brisbane for me, might have just been a off day ...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I'll second The Plough (still got the pool tables?) and The Story Bridge Hotel (I liked the food, others haven't).

Brekky Creek underwhelmed me as did the much-vaunted 'Pineapple' over at Kangaroo point, their steaks were the worst in Brisbane for me, might have just been a off day ...
Story Bridge used to be brillliant when it was scummier, in the days of the Bombshelter! Hasn't had the same ambience since it was refurbed.

Ditto Brekkie Creek. Victory sucks IMO.

I like the Belge (Beer Bar) and actually the Normanby's not bad out of all those big pubs. Regatta's good during the day - evening only if you are under 25!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=rabsody;5963047] Regatta's good during the day - evening only if you are under 25![/QUOTE

i used to be once along time ago......
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by rabsody
Story Bridge used to be brillliant when it was scummier, in the days of the Bombshelter! Hasn't had the same ambience since it was refurbed.

Ditto Brekkie Creek. Victory sucks IMO.

I like the Belge (Beer Bar) and actually the Normanby's not bad out of all those big pubs. Regatta's good during the day - evening only if you are under 25!
The Mars Bars used to be bigger too
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary worth a visit or is the Alma Park Zoo a better option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.