Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Creepy Crawlies!

Brisbane Creepy Crawlies!

Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:26 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Brisbane Creepy Crawlies!

PLease can I have an honest answer on how bad the creepy crawlies are,...especially in Wellington Point!!! R there deadly spiders at every turn..all over your house? DO you have poisonous snakes in your garden? Is it true yo have to check your pool for spids before you go for a swim???!!! Friends have been winding me up and its putting me off Brisbane!! I HATE SPIDERS!:scared:
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:38 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Not so much Brisbane as Sydney. Most of Brisbane's spiders are harmless.

You do occasionally get venomous snakes in your garden, yes.

Spiders, snakes, blue-ringed octopussies, oh my!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane Creepy Crawlies!

Originally posted by lucyb
PLease can I have an honest answer on how bad the creepy crawlies are,...especially in Wellington Point!!! R there deadly spiders at every turn..all over your house? DO you have poisonous snakes in your garden? Is it true yo have to check your pool for spids before you go for a swim???!!! Friends have been winding me up and its putting me off Brisbane!! I HATE SPIDERS!:scared:
Don't panic !!

I saw a spider, in the house, a couple of weeks ago, and it made me jump. I am NOT used to them. It was tiny, but not dangerous. I've only been here in QLD for 18 months though. We do have the house pest contolled each year, at about $175. Keeps most creepy crawlies at bay.

You will see them in the gardens, but remember, no one has died from the few poisonous spider bites for at least 20 years.

Haven't seen a snake yet.

Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Been here since November, since then - 2 spiders, both harmless and outside, no snakes (apart from the Trouser variety!), 75,000 cockroaches (well, at least a dozen!); next doors dog which barks 18 hours a day is more of a pest and may be bbq'ed shortly.......... oh, and the famous old drop-bears are a hazard of course....

(who said I'd lost my sense of humour?!)
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

As I sat out eating breakfast in the garden today, I suddenly thought 'will I have to check under the patio table and chairs everytime i sit down', will this be the case?

We are off to Cairns, are they a lot lot worse there?

Mandy
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:50 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

The most common venomous snake in Eastern Australia

Well, the top one listed in any case.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Its not the spiders and snakes.....its the bats and the roaches you should be looking out for in Brisbane!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Not forgetting the mozziez!!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:58 am

Yes, Ive heard the mossies wear hobnail boots out there!:scared:
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:59 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Sharpy67
Its not the spiders and snakes.....its the bats and the roaches you should be looking out for in Brisbane!

And don't even think about going into the sea! Stonefish, blue ringed octupus, box jellyfish, sharks etc

Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:00 am

OH...maybe I should stay in Sussex...nothing more sinister than double glazing salesmen here!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Sharpy67
I agree with you on the cockroaches, but pest control does seem to work for them.

I have been told that they love areas near Palm Trees, we don't have any

When we were in Sydney, we had Palm Trees in the garden, and more cockroaches than we see up here

I've heard the bats, and think I have seen some flying overhead, but not seen one close up yet. I have seen the droppings on the garden shed though !!

Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I agree with you on the cockroaches, but pest control does seem to work for them.

I have been told that they love areas near Palm Trees, we don't have any

When we were in Sydney, we had Palm Trees in the garden, and more cockroaches than we see up here

I've heard the bats, and think I have seen some flying overhead, but not seen one close up yet. I have seen the droppings on the garden shed though !!

LOL. Whe I first I arrived, I thought everybody put their cars away at night due to a high crime rate. Amusing to learn it was because Bat crap was the next worst thing to paint stripper!!!!

Lots of bats oin Cleveland tonight. Its like a swarm!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lucyb
OH...maybe I should stay in Sussex...nothing more sinister than double glazing salesmen here!

God, get out of there quick - they are v. v. dangerous - LOL:scared:
Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:24 am
Just Joined

DesignerDiary is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in Brisbane for over 6 months now and I have to report; no snakes, around 5 big hand sized spiders (all harmless but freak you out when you see them), one gree tree frog (cute), a few cockroaches, one wierd thing that I haven't got a clue what it was, a few geckos and enormous grass hoppers... that's about all.

We found a great thing to have was a cat! Gets all the bugs before you see them. Even though the spiders are quite big and harmless, when you try and catch them - wait to see how fast they go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.