Brisbane/Commute/Beach

Brisbane/Commute/Beach

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:23 am
Oz Wannabe

jtimkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane/Commute/Beach

Hi all,
just a quicky,
i am looking at where to live near brisbane.
i idealy would like somewhere near a beach for the kids but within an hour or so of brisbane.
also need the housing costs to be not too high..
i know im asking a lot but worth a go..
where did the woman on a life down under settle last week ?
the one with the bloke who went back to UK with his jag ?
cheers
john
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Rockville is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brisbane/Commute/Beach

[She settled in Robinea. Don't know whats its like just remember the name. Hope this helps
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:14 am
Oz Wannabe

cheers,
ill have a surf around for some info...
need to commute to brizzy for work though
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:22 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but you WONT get *beach* ie sun/sand/surf an hours commute from Brisbane! You have to go to the Sunshine or Gold Coast for that & its well over an hour even in non-peak hour traffic.

However IF you want to live near the water, then yes its possible to live within an hours commute, but its not cheap. There are very FEW places in Brisbane (or surrounds) now that are *cheap* anyway unless its Logan or Ipswich area & certainly an area near the beach or the water wont be cheap - in fact you may well stuggle to even find a house as demand far far outstrips supply. The old saying you get what you pay for has never been more true. If its cheap, its because no one wants to live there. You simply cant have it both ways!

My suggestion is for you to check out some of the previous threads on here - do a search for Brisbane & you should come up with plenty, or look back the last couple of days there have been a few asking about Brisbane suburbs. Then go & have a look on Realestate at prices in the areas you are interested in.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:25 am
Oz Wannabe

Redcliff looks ok, not to far out and fair prices.
any sort of beach front there ?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:30 am
Just Joined

pom_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We are in a similar position, check out this thread:

Brisbane, Questions, Questions

FWIW - Our shortlist (hardly short & probably many which are unsuitable) includes the following which we will try & visit at the end of January:

AlbanyCreek
Bulimba
Bunya
Caboolture
Chermside
Clayfield
Cleveland
Coomera
Currumbin
FernyHills
Helensvale
Mitchelton
Morningside
Nundah
Ormeau
Ormiston
RedlandBay
Robina
Samford
SunnybankHills
VictoriaPt
Zillmere

Pom_uk
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:59 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jtimkey
Hi all,
just a quicky,
i idealy would like somewhere near a beach for the kids but within an hour or so of brisbane.
cheers
john
Try Bribie Island. I do not know what you mean by housing costs not too high, what is high for you? But you can pick up a "decentish" four bed brick for around $350,000, which is reasonably priced for what you get.

The beaches on the island are well suited to kids, and if you like fishing, four wheel driving etc.. well it maybe just what you're looking for.
Travelling time to Brisbane CBD should take you within the hour, it depends on the traffic at peak hours.

The island is self contained , banks, supermarkets, cafe's etc etc

Don't ask me about crime etc, and what it is like to live there.. I don't know, I only know the place as a regular visitor (it's one thing visting and another thing living in a place, I only comment on places where I have lived)

http://www.bribie.com.au/ to give you an idea about the place.

my photo on the bottom of this message is one of the beaches at Bribie where you can four wheel drive.

I would have bought at Bribie myself if it wasn't for the travelling times for us. I'd hate a drive of 50 minutes to an hour to work each day.

Some one mentioned Redcliffe, take a look at the place yourself.. I used to live in Redcliffe (lived there for a few years) and I did not like it. The place is ugly, but if you like "Englishy" type looking "beaches" (not what I call beaches.. very shallow) and piles of cafe's, chip shops etc..it may suit some - each to their own, but I disliked the place, too packed for my liking. Also it has a "scruffy" element,there are quite a few old fibro cottages (dog boxes) in the area. They are building up the front at the moment with new apartments.. which has some of the locals up in arms "eew we don't want our "deadcliffe" turning into the Goldcoast" lol, what they mean is they think the Goldcoast looks ugly with the high rises. Fat chance of that, redcliffe reminds me of a run down shanty town.. each to their own. Not that I like the Goldcoast either.. I also think that is ugly.

Also the Hornibrook bridge (bridge that leads into Redcliffe) is a bottleneck.. they've just reduced the speeds on the bridge to try and make it safer (the area have been campaigning for a new bridge and railway line for years.. but the state gov won't give it to them) If you're after that type of thing.. try Shorncliffe/Sandgate instead of Redcliffe.. it is easier for travelling reasons.

Anyway take a look at Bribie Island it maybe what your after(forgot to mention it's joined by a road bridge.. so you don't have to swim out there,to reach the island .. just in case you are wondering )

cheers
Attached Thumbnails Brisbane/Commute/Beach-bbbbb-3.jpg  
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jtimkey
Hi all,
just a quicky,
cheers
john
John
What price would you go up to, for a house ?
What size of house are you after ?
Are you saying 1 hour in peak times from Brisbane CBD ?

I am in Victoria Point, and I can get to CBD in 40 minutes in the quiet period, never done it in rush hour, but I will do one day just to find out

Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:43 am
Oz Wannabe

hi all,
thanks for the replies.
well really a hour at peak but i know it may be more than that but hey i have to make some sacrifices..
looking to spend about $350k ish on a 3 bed place...
prices seem to vary so much in the same area..