Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane City Pubs. Whats the Best areas please

Brisbane City Pubs. Whats the Best areas please

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Brisbane City Pubs. Whats the Best areas please

We are off this weekend for a beer and flying up to brisbane.

Any recommendations for a decent area or decent areas for a beer or cocktail for 2 thirty somethings. We would like to be able to walk out of one and not far to another and anopther and so on.

More than one area is cool, dont be shy
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

lcys2460 will become famous soon enoughlcys2460 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brisbane City Pubs. Whats the Best areas please

I can highly recommend the Pig and Whistle in Eagle Street - most british pub I've seen in Brissie and my fav! Have a beer for me if you end up there!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

skeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant future

Ive been to pig a whistle very nice pint too.
About 8 weeks till i visit again.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:03 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcys2460
I can highly recommend the Pig and Whistle in Eagle Street - most british pub I've seen in Brissie and my fav! Have a beer for me if you end up there!
I agree. We always went to the P&W when we were in Brissie. On St. Georges day 06 they had Morris dancers, roast beef & yorkshire pud and served Old Speckled Hen on tap!!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcys2460
....then after that you could try Jade Buddha / Shadow Lounge on the river.....or for something a bit more unusual maybe try the beer garden at the Belgian Beer Cafe....yummy (but exe) beer and chips 'n' mayo - nice!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:42 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on the Belgian Beer Cafe !
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:48 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

You could also hit the Valley lots of cool funky places to visit all within staggering distance try Glass (for funky jazz), the Sun bar, hit the Bowery for great cocktails, the Fringe (might see me after work on a Friday), Barsoma is also nice and the Cru bar (very cool and expensive).

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson

Any recommendations for a decent area or decent areas for a beer or cocktail for 2 thirty somethings. We would like to be able to walk out of one and not far to another and anopther and so on.

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:48 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
I agree. We always went to the P&W when we were in Brissie. On St. Georges day 06 they had Morris dancers, roast beef & yorkshire pud and served Old Speckled Hen on tap!!
Still have Speckled Hen on and they keep a beautiful pint of Guinness.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:11 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
You could also hit the Valley lots of cool funky places to visit all within staggering distance try Glass (for funky jazz), the Sun bar, hit the Bowery for great cocktails, the Fringe (might see me after work on a Friday), Barsoma is also nice and the Cru bar (very cool and expensive).
Another vote for the Valley. Although I've only been living in New Farm for a month, so my knowledge of the Valley isn't huge yet!

Shadow Lounge is a nice place. I've never been to the Pig & Whistle on Queen St, the one by the river is always packed though.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson

A really different place for good cocktails is the bar at the back of the Garuva thai restaurant on Wickham Street in the Valley - very chilled out sort of place...most folks sit on cushions on the floor and there is often live music. The restaurant is very hard to find.....just a big set of doors, no sign...but it's right beside the Wickham hotel. The restaurant itself is pretty funky too although I dont rate the food that much.

**WARNING** Garuva cocktails have in the past been known to lead to memory loss and navigation problems! (particularly applies to Long Island Iced Tea!)
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:38 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Pi n Whistle gets the thumbs up from us!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Tricky Tree - I probably know you! We go to similar places!

OP - my new favourite is Siana in the city, overlooking the river. It's a cocktail, classy type of bar and is where all the "beautiful" professional types go at the moment (Eagle Street, CBD). A bit further along Eagle Street Pier is 1 degree which is a small bar next to Il Centro. Jade Buddha is ok, nothing to write home about.

My old fave is Cru Bar (a 30+ crowd) a classy wine bar in the Valley and Barsoma's pretty good too (but a bit dark!). For cocktails on a Saturday/Sunday Gerties is good (in New Farm) too as is the Lychee Lounge in West End if you wanted to venture over that way. Belgian Beer Bar (CBD) is great on a Friday after work but a bit empty any other time.

My personal opinion but I find Pig & Whistle pants (but then I've never been into theme pubs).

Last edited by rabsody; Oct 23rd 2007 at 5:45 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:55 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The re-occuring theme is they are all either 10 minutes (or less) from my unit or work.
If you see/hear a 6 foot, short (very short) black hair, good looking () 30 something English man it may be me so say hi and if your really lucky I may buy you a drink!

Originally Posted by rabsody
Tricky Tree - I probably know you! We go to similar places!

OP - my new favourite is Siana in the city, overlooking the river. It's a cocktail, classy type of bar and is where all the "beautiful" professional types go at the moment (Eagle Street, CBD). A bit further along Eagle Street Pier is 1 degree which is a small bar next to Il Centro. Jade Buddha is ok, nothing to write home about.

My old fave is Cru Bar (a 30+ crowd) a classy wine bar in the Valley and Barsoma's pretty good too (but a bit dark!). For cocktails on a Saturday/Sunday Gerties is good (in New Farm) too as is the Lychee Lounge in West End if you wanted to venture over that way. Belgian Beer Bar (CBD) is great on a Friday after work but a bit empty any other time.

My personal opinion but I find Pig & Whistle pants (but then I've never been into theme pubs).
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

The re-occuring theme is they are all either 10 minutes (or less) from my unit or work.
If you see/hear a 6 foot, short (very short) black hair, good looking () 30 something English man it may be me so say hi and if your really lucky I may buy you a drink!

haha, can be a bit quiet during the week though. probably just as well otherwise you'd be out on the lash all the time!

i will keep my eyes peeled next time i am out!! mine's a caprioska please!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

apart from the british style pubs, anyone have any vision for any aussie style pubs or ones that have a good vibe.

Pig and whistle is good, but find it strange, you move all the way to Aus to hancker for british style stuff week in and week out.

I know we invented aus, but find it all too british...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.