Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or California?

Brisbane or California?

Old Dec 31st 2002, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

california88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane or California?

I'm wondering is anyone has an experience living in California and Brisbane and can give me some feedback between the two places. I have two kids and I recently joined the unemployment line. However, I do have enough saving that I can live in Brisbane which I think will be cheaper than in the Bay Area (Silicon Valley).
We already have our permanent residency and ready to move, but a bit nervous...I like what people has said about the climate in Brisbane (sub-tropic), compare to here in California...sunny but dry. How about the "fly", is that really a problem in Brisbane? Spider?
Any feedback is appreaciated...

thanks
Old Dec 31st 2002, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never lived in Brisbane so can't comment about the cost of living. However I am Australian and have lived in Silicon Valley. Rent, groceries etc. will be a lot cheaper in Australia but you need to take into consideration that if you are lucky enough to get a job your wages will also be considerably lower. We lived in Sunnyvale in 2000 and were paying $2100US ($4,000 Aust) for a 2 bedroom apt. I would imagine that you can rent a comparable place for a lot cheaper in Brisbane.

Re the flies. They are bothersome, they annoy me and every other Australian. As for spiders and snakes, yes there are lots of venomous varieties around and you do have to be careful but it is unlikely they will attack you in the driveway of your house as you make your way to your car. All you have to remember is that you are bigger than any spider and if you connect the bottom of your shoe with the spider's back you will be the winner.

Have you thought about going to Melbourne as the weather there is more like the Bay Area as it is cooler than Brisbane. Also many expats seem to find the humidity of Brisbane very stressful.
Old Dec 31st 2002, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

california88 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your reply Vicky,
Is the humidity really tha bad? Is it worse than Singapore or other Asian countries? As far as Melbourne, cost of living is probably more expensive than Brisbane, isn't it?

Originally posted by Vicky88
I have never lived in Brisbane so can't comment about the cost of living. However I am Australian and have lived in Silicon Valley. Rent, groceries etc. will be a lot cheaper in Australia but you need to take into consideration that if you are lucky enough to get a job your wages will also be considerably lower. We lived in Sunnyvale in 2000 and were paying $2100US ($4,000 Aust) for a 2 bedroom apt. I would imagine that you can rent a comparable place for a lot cheaper in Brisbane.

Re the flies. They are bothersome, they annoy me and every other Australian. As for spiders and snakes, yes there are lots of venomous varieties around and you do have to be careful but it is unlikely they will attack you in the driveway of your house as you make your way to your car. All you have to remember is that you are bigger than any spider and if you connect the bottom of your shoe with the spider's back you will be the winner.

Have you thought about going to Melbourne as the weather there is more like the Bay Area as it is cooler than Brisbane. Also many expats seem to find the humidity of Brisbane very stressful.
Old Dec 31st 2002, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not really that au fait with Brisbane prices, but many on this site who are resident in Brisbane have said that prices are sky-rocketing in that area. I think Melbourne would be more expensive but I am assuming that as you are from SV you have a tech background so work is more likely to be more plentiful in Melbourne. Believe most IT work in around Sydney/Melbourne. One reason why we are still in California is because of the lack of good IT based work outside of Sydney, my husband can't get anything in his field in Australia.

Humidity might depend on your background. If you have lived in Singapore it might not be such an adjustment.

I believe there is someone on this forum who has lived in Singapore and is now in Brisbane (Ceri I think) who could probably give you a more accurate reading on the humidity issue.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Brisbane with all its hills and valleys can feel very humid but down the road on the Coast, whether Sunshine Coast to the North or Gold Coast to the South - an hour or so either way, and it can feel much more pleasant.

Up at Tin Can Bay I once ran into a Calafornian lady who was doing some study on the Dolphins up there. She expalined that the thing she missed about Calafornia was the pace of life, things move much slower in Queensland.

Why don't you drop a line to Terri at Australia Zoo in Beerwah, maybe she can give you another perspective? She of the Crocodile Hunter programme.

As for flies ... on the odd day you can get Marsh (or is it March) Flies on the beaches. If they get you they can sting proper style. My tip for them is Ambre Solaire, but you are more likely to be bothered by Mosquitos outside of daylight hours.