Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane 'burbs'

Brisbane 'burbs'

Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane 'burbs'

Originally Posted by Grayling
How was that trolling?

Do you really think that you can't go out in the evening for 9 months of the year.....in Shrewsbury

So what will she make of the inside of Queensland houses in winter?
Calling someone "silly" or "exaggerating" just because their personal preference is different to yours.

Maybe not for you and I, but I didn't make the claim. You can't assume that it's not too cold for her. Maybe she doesn't want to dress up in a coat every evening to go or just to sit outside and have a glass of wine when it's not warm.

She could rent or buy an insulated one that is not cold, or use heaters or air-con, like we all do....or freeze.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But I hear old Miss Moneypenny too...

One of the things I am not so sure about now- are UK winters really as bad as people make out? They are not as cold as the ones in Germany....but I know there have been a spate of cold ones. The winters I knew 12-15 years ago were even quite mild.
Not sure I'm liking the 'old' bit but never mind. I can only speak for myself but it wasn't necessarily the cold that did it for me, I mean 3 degrees isn't cold in the grand scheme of things but, the damp, grey, cold short days long nights did mess me up. I guess it was SAD although I'm not fully convinced it's a real thing. Whilst I felt shit for all of winter, it wasn't until I was no longer living it that I realised how much healthier I was and that the constant 24/7 headache leading to four day migraines had gone.

Not aware of not being able to go outside though but then I've never found I have to stay in during our Summers here either. Discussing temperatures in both countries does seem to get people fired up for some reason.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

idreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you sure?

Please don't exaggerate....it makes you sound a bit silly
Oh sorry I didn't realise you were the forum police.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 5:01 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by idreamadream
Oh sorry I didn't realise you were the forum police.
I dont think anyone is being the forum police, its just for many the idea that it is too cold to go outside for 9 months of the year is a little odd.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I dont think anyone is being the forum police, its just for many the idea that it is too cold to go outside for 9 months of the year is a little odd.
Allow me to mix my Blackadder metaphors..

Aah! The classic domestic Little Englander and their central heating and cold winters
For us it is a dull affair, for others it is the basis of an entire subculture...

SLAP
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

6 months maybe not 3.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:36 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

In Shrewsbury for 9 months of the year it's too cold to leave the house in the evenings
In the same non literal way that's pretty much how I feel about S.E.Queensland right now. The weather is regularly shite and I've had to invest in a whole new wardrobe. They didn't tell me that in the brochures. There's more to life than the weather of course.

It's all relative though. You have your own footprint.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:48 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
In the same non literal way that's pretty much how I feel about S.E.Queensland right now. The weather is regularly shite and I've had to invest in a whole new wardrobe. They didn't tell me that in the brochures. There's more to life than the weather of course.

Oh there is just so much more than the weather. Even our Brisbane born and bred boys prefer the weather here although they arent keen on the very cold days.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

I really think Brisbane is a very hard place to get your head around the difference in suburbs, only lived north side and loved it there.
I do agree, Brisbane is not a city to go out at 9pm and get a meal, good luck in finding a place open and as a survivor of the summer about ten years ago that got to 46C for 4 days, it can get warm. To that end, I really feel its a good idea to have some elevation in property, so you get a breeze during summer and to remember the floods and consider thinking twice about living the the river burbs.
One thing, Brisbane has to be the best served city with shopping centres, even on the outer ring of the city most suburbs have a choice of good shopping and the same can be said for schooling. Transport on the other hand is a bit hit and miss and expensive. If you follow the railway line north and south of the city you can quickly get an idea of the burbs with better transport links.
Brisbane is a huge spider web of a city, a GPS should be the first thing on any newcomers shopping list!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Soozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant future

Hi, what is New Farm like? I've read good things about it. Do you feel like you live in the city or does it feel like a separate "village"?
I haven't been in New Farm very long, but I really like it, although it's not everybody's cup of tea. It does feel like a separate village, and yet it's very handy to the City. I have to say I work from home so have no experience of commuting. My husband walks to work in Fortitude Valley - takes him about 20 minutes (Note, you need a shower at work if you want to walk to work in the summer!).

During the week in the daytime the locals you see in the supermarket (an excellent Coles) are overwhelmingly white, middle class and middle -aged or older. Think Waitrose customers in a UK context! At weekends the suburb is more diverse because of its busy cafes and restaurants, the riverside park and the trendy Powerhouse arts centre, which has really good farmers' markets twice a month.

One thing that gives New Farm a special feel is its longstanding Italian connection. You can take Italian classes, buy Italian food at the deli or eat at several local Italian restaurants.

On the whole I would describe New Farm as quiet, pleasant and (mostly) affluent.

I hope this helps. You might to check out this site for an overview of Brisbane suburbs, although I don't know how up-to-date it is :

Brisbane Suburbs - Statistics, Ratings, and more

Last edited by Soozi; Aug 27th 2014 at 12:54 am.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

love New Farm, brilliant park, good but trendy (aka expensive) shopping, older homes, affluent, my neighbour lived there for 30 years, told me due to the closeness of the homes and small size blocks that you get with older suburbs, it can be very hot and humid in summer, but there is always air con of course!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

I did though.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polly 3
love New Farm, brilliant park, good but trendy (aka expensive) shopping, older homes, affluent, my neighbour lived there for 30 years, told me due to the closeness of the homes and small size blocks that you get with older suburbs, it can be very hot and humid in summer, but there is always air con of course!
Yeah, a very trendy and vibrant suburb. Close in and lots to do. Would suit youngish couples and fams.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisalan
Hi,

So we are working on the assumption that I won't have secured a job before we leave and being an accountant we are also assuming that my work will take me into the city centre.
All decisions are going to be based on best estimates!

We plan to rent for the first 6 months just to get a little bit used to things before adding the stress of a home loan into the equation.

After that we plan to buy, initially not to the top end of our budget, as being our first home in a new country we don't want to over stretch ourselves. Our initial budget would be around 400k with our later budgets being around double that.

So with our first place our desire to get the 'perfect' house won't exist (but for reference a traditional 2 story queenslander home would be it), our aims to begin with would be about location and area.
The things we enjoy most are being out and about outside. Bars and shopping are nice but if we have to drive to these places we'd live! So really I guess, semi rural, quiet, not too close to main roads as we have cats (do we sound like we're 80!?!) We can take or leave the beach, so having to live right on the coast to see the sea isn't high on our list.
We don't have any children, nor will we have so schools etc are not relevant.

So far the areas we had mentioned are all west just because that is where we started before we realised how many areas there were to choose from and sought help from you guys.
So north, south, east or west, we are open. Really I guess we would just like to avoid 'millionaires row' or the really less desirable areas (over here there would be old mattresses and appliances dumped out front!!)

Hope this helps you to help us!

Really do appreciate all your input

Thanks
Tenerife, New Farm, West End.

Everywhere else could destroy your soul. Nice houses but absolutely nothing there at all. Paddington ok as well. I couldnt live anywhere else in Brisbane its soul destroying the suburbs completely different too Sydney or Melbourne.

If you think having a shopping centre is exciting then you'll be in heaven as thats all the burbs have. Nothing else, just fenced off houses. The sense of isolation can be unbearable.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I did though.
Yes, I remembered the tip off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.