Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane bound - where are you going?

Brisbane bound - where are you going?

Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road
Red face Brisbane bound - where are you going?

Hi
WE are a family of four , myself and hubby and two children hopefully in March we will all be on our way to Australia.
We we looking at Melbourne and suburbs, as work may be based there, but now it could be Brisbane. I have visited Brisbane and really liked the city but would ideally like to live near the coast. I am starting to look outside of the city in areas such as Wynnum, Sandgate and Redcliffe. Are any of you on this site on your way out to Brisbane this year, what area are you considering and have you got any comments on the ones mentioned. Any comments welcome, Thanks,
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:33 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane bound - where are you going?

Hi, personally I'm looking somewhere near Caloundra, my sis-in -law used to live in Redcliffe, she's 29, hubby 35, kids 13 and 11. She didn't like it there. Is now in Mooloolah and loves it. I'll e-mail her and try to find out exactly what it was she didn't like.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi, personally I'm looking somewhere near Caloundra, my sis-in -law used to live in Redcliffe, she's 29, hubby 35, kids 13 and 11. She didn't like it there. Is now in Mooloolah and loves it. I'll e-mail her and try to find out exactly what it was she didn't like.
Hi 68MEVY
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about Caloundra but thought it may be too far out of Brisbane and Hubby is concerned about getting work, also I will have to travel quite a bit and need to be near an airport.
What stage of Visa application are you at, when do you think you will be going?
We only started the process just before the summer and its just about getting near theend now, it seems to have taken ages and also the house sale should be completing round mid feb, so all fingers crossed here
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by of2oz
Hi
WE are a family of four , myself and hubby and two children hopefully in March we will all be on our way to Australia.
We we looking at Melbourne and suburbs, as work may be based there, but now it could be Brisbane. I have visited Brisbane and really liked the city but would ideally like to live near the coast. I am starting to look outside of the city in areas such as Wynnum, Sandgate and Redcliffe. Are any of you on this site on your way out to Brisbane this year, what area are you considering and have you got any comments on the ones mentioned. Any comments welcome, Thanks,
Hi,
We live in the Sandgate area and we really like it here (have 2 young kids). However, you must realise that there is no 'beach' here. IMO nearest beach is Bribie Island (30-40 minute drive).
Have you considered North Lakes? Big new estate there, lots of houses available to rent or buy, new shopping centre, new school, close to transport, probably only about 15 minutes from Bribie Island but still not bad to commute to the city or airport. I think Mango Hill is the nearest actual town. North Lakes is just the name of the development. Try a search on www.realestate.com.au for Mango Hill
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Hi,
My plans are much the same as yours. I want to work in Brisbane. I visited there in October and loved it, but want to live near the coast. The best of both worlds!

Am frantically trying to find out whats on offer in the various places. It's difficult when you don't know anybody to ask. This sites a Godsend. Am sure I will be on it constantly from now on.

The only places I can comment on are Narangba and Caboolture. This came from an Aussie I met while on holiday. He lives in Narangba and said that this is a decent place to live. He was only a young lad (early 20's). He was brought up here and seemed to think it was OK. Don't know whats there to be honest.

He mentioned a few places and told me what they were like. Although only these 2 stuck to mind. He told me that Caboolture was a no-no as apparently there is problems there with teenage gangs and is in general not a very nice place to live. If anybody lives there and has a different opinion then I'm sorry. Never been to either place, just passing on info from a local!!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Hi,
We live in the Sandgate area and we really like it here (have 2 young kids). However, you must realise that there is no 'beach' here. IMO nearest beach is Bribie Island (30-40 minute drive).
Have you considered North Lakes? Big new estate there, lots of houses available to rent or buy, new shopping centre, new school, close to transport, probably only about 15 minutes from Bribie Island but still not bad to commute to the city or airport. I think Mango Hill is the nearest actual town. North Lakes is just the name of the development. Try a search on www.realestate.com.au for Mango Hill
Hi
Thanks for the info, no beach eh!, pity it would have been great so close to the city too, I wont rule it out but will look at the travelling times from Bribie Island and the estate you mentioned. Whats the rest of Sandaget like, do you go into the city often. Did you look at Caloundra or Mooloolaba as an option or did you sstart at sandgate and are happy there, how long have you been out in Oz? Sorry for being so nosey its interesting to see why people choose onme area over another and I suppose until we get there and see them we wont decide for sure!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Hi,
My plans are much the same as yours. I want to work in Brisbane. I visited there in October and loved it, but want to live near the coast. The best of both worlds!

Am frantically trying to find out whats on offer in the various places. It's difficult when you don't know anybody to ask. This sites a Godsend. Am sure I will be on it constantly from now on.

The only places I can comment on are Narangba and Caboolture. This came from an Aussie I met while on holiday. He lives in Narangba and said that this is a decent place to live. He was only a young lad (early 20's). He was brought up here and seemed to think it was OK. Don't know whats there to be honest.

He mentioned a few places and told me what they were like. Although only these 2 stuck to mind. He told me that Caboolture was a no-no as apparently there is problems there with teenage gangs and is in general not a very nice place to live. If anybody lives there and has a different opinion then I'm sorry. Never been to either place, just passing on info from a local!!!
Hi Julie.d
Thanks for the reply, I was in Brisbane for two weeks in November and also visted Sydney and Melbourne, but only for a couple of days each. Sydney is too busy, Melbourne was nice but very spread out and changeable weather, but Brisbane I loved, I thought the laid back feel to the city was fantastic, food was great, weather great, nice people, etc,
so now we may be able to go there so we are looking at areas and hoping that we can as the properties up this way tend to be more geared up to having a pool which we have not seen many of on our property searches for melbourne areas. I think Caloundra is nice and family oriented with about 60,000 pop (lonely planet guide) maybe this is an option.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Hi
Thanks for the info, no beach eh!, pity it would have been great so close to the city too, I wont rule it out but will look at the travelling times from Bribie Island and the estate you mentioned. Whats the rest of Sandaget like, do you go into the city often. Did you look at Caloundra or Mooloolaba as an option or did you sstart at sandgate and are happy there, how long have you been out in Oz? Sorry for being so nosey its interesting to see why people choose onme area over another and I suppose until we get there and see them we wont decide for sure!!
Hi,

Well when I say there is no beach, there is some sand there and the kids (3yo twins) love going to it - its just not what you picture in your mind when you think of Australian beaches - you need to see it to understand. Don't get me wrong - its nice - just not a 'beach'.
Sandgate itself is superb. Nice little town, everything you need. Cooler, with it being on the coast. Not too far from anywhere. I work in city and get train every day (Sandgate is on rail line which was one of our requirements) takes 30 minutes.
Didn't look any further north. Sandgate area was just very practical area for us - on rail line, not far from city, 'beach' nearby, not too far from a proper beach, easy drive up to sunshine coast or down to gold coast. Looked at other suburbs, but Sandgate just appealed to us I think just because it is very practical location. Been here 6 months now and we have come to really like the area.
We drive over to Redcliffe quite a lot, I'm told some areas have a bad repitation but things are improving. Personally I like most of the Redcliffe area. Some of the beaches have been 'dirty' quite often when we have been, but we may not be going to the best beaches there. Fantastic swimming area (similar to Southbank in city). Might have considered living there but wife doesn't drive (yet) so it is good to be near rail (no rail in Redcliffe).
Pass through Narangba on way to Bribie Island - seems to be in the middle of nowhere. I know there are some great houses there at good prices, both renting and buying. Never looked into it any further, wife just though it too far from anywhere for her to live there unable to drive.
All up, we are happy with Sandgate and will probably be here for a couple of years yet.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi 68MEVY
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about Caloundra but thought it may be too far out of Brisbane and Hubby is concerned about getting work, also I will have to travel quite a bit and need to be near an airport.
What stage of Visa application are you at, when do you think you will be going?
We only started the process just before the summer and its just about getting near theend now, it seems to have taken ages and also the house sale should be completing round mid feb, so all fingers crossed here

Sunshine coast has an airport. Since Richard Branson got into australia and ended the governments monopoly on domestic airlines, flights to sydney and melbourne leave dozens of times a day from maroochy airport, about one third of the cost they used to be too. Dropped son at airport last week at 6am and its full on business commuters to syd and melb weekdays. You can also link to brisbane international airport from there.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Well when I say there is no beach, there is some sand there and the kids (3yo twins) love going to it - its just not what you picture in your mind when you think of Australian beaches - you need to see it to understand. Don't get me wrong - its nice - just not a 'beach'.
Sandgate itself is superb. Nice little town, everything you need. Cooler, with it being on the coast. Not too far from anywhere. I work in city and get train every day (Sandgate is on rail line which was one of our requirements) takes 30 minutes.
Didn't look any further north. Sandgate area was just very practical area for us - on rail line, not far from city, 'beach' nearby, not too far from a proper beach, easy drive up to sunshine coast or down to gold coast. Looked at other suburbs, but Sandgate just appealed to us I think just because it is very practical location. Been here 6 months now and we have come to really like the area.
We drive over to Redcliffe quite a lot, I'm told some areas have a bad repitation but things are improving. Personally I like most of the Redcliffe area. Some of the beaches have been 'dirty' quite often when we have been, but we may not be going to the best beaches there. Fantastic swimming area (similar to Southbank in city). Might have considered living there but wife doesn't drive (yet) so it is good to be near rail (no rail in Redcliffe).
Pass through Narangba on way to Bribie Island - seems to be in the middle of nowhere. I know there are some great houses there at good prices, both renting and buying. Never looked into it any further, wife just though it too far from anywhere for her to live there unable to drive.
All up, we are happy with Sandgate and will probably be here for a couple of years yet.
Hi again
Thanks for the info, i will look into it further but the location seems good, close to the city, close to the coast. I really fancy the sunshine coast but am put off by the travelling and would prefer a more settled community feel area which you are unlikely to get with a more touristy spot. We can always visit the sunshine coast/gold coast.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 10:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi
Wynnum is nice, but also anywhere on the Bayside, especially South Bayside, in the Redlands area , but then i'm biased (along with hundreds more who live here)

Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We live in Caloundra, been here nearly a year now. I commute to Brisbane everyday, it takes 30 mins to Caboolture and then 1 hour on a comfortable train. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I knew before we moved out here that I would have to work in Brisbane so the journey was no surprise to me. In fact I find it quite pleasant. I am well read now.

To live were people come on holiday and have such a choice of beaches, I sacrfice that time to living somewhere beautiful. We are only young I am 31 and hubby 27, yet we have settled in really quickly and as there are beaches, there are heaps of stuff involved around them for kids to do.

The key is to get involved in something, like a soccer team or local gym etc.

Good luck in your search

Carrianne
Old Jan 18th 2005, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

We live in Caloundra, been here nearly a year now. I commute to Brisbane everyday, it takes 30 mins to Caboolture and then 1 hour on a comfortable train. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I knew before we moved out here that I would have to work in Brisbane so the journey was no surprise to me. In fact I find it quite pleasant. I am well read now.

To live were people come on holiday and have such a choice of beaches, I sacrfice that time to living somewhere beautiful. We are only young I am 31 and hubby 27, yet we have settled in really quickly and as there are beaches, there are heaps of stuff involved around them for kids to do.

The key is to get involved in something, like a soccer team or local gym etc.

Good luck in your search

Carrianne
Thanks Carrianne
Coloundra sounds beautifull, we will visit on our validation trip, (assunming we get our visa!!!) and come and see for ourselves

Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:08 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Hi there,

We visited Brisbane in June 04 and stayed with our rellies at Bracken Ridge and we visited Sandgate a few times. We've got photos of our 2 & half yr old playing on the park area on the beach and he loved it. We also visited Redcliffe loads of times and loved it there too - the lagoon is fab and we can't wait to get back and go in it (it was too cold in June!).

Sandgate does seem like a lovely area to bring kids up in and it is very handy having a train line and good road links etc. The fact that it's cooler sounds good too, so Sandgate is definitely on the list of areas to consider when we decide to buy a house.

Glad you are enjoying your life in Oz! It's always good to hear positive things and that people are happy with the big move to Oz.
Shell