Wikiposts

Brisbane bound

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Brisbane bound

Hello all,
Am a new girl! Hubby and I and our two girls of 5 & 6 are hopefully moving to Brisbane in November (if all goes to plan). We are both childrens nurses and have been offered sponsorship by The Mater Childrens Hospital.
Anyone know of any meets happening in the south of England in the coming months? Can anyone tell me which suburbs are the nice ones in Brisbane?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Robbo2.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 10:06 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane bound

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Can anyone tell me which suburbs are the nice ones in Brisbane?
That is a bit like asking where is a good place to live in England or what is a good airline. Without a litle more information it is difficult to answer. here's what to do.

Tell us what you are looking for in a suburb (you know, the usual stuff - need to be 10 mins from city with great schools, no crime, by the beach and want a 5 bed house with pool for under $200000).

Sit back and wait to be ridiculed.

Then tell us which of these is most important - e.g. budget constraint, schools etc.

Sit back and wait to be told it is impossible.

Wait a while and eventually some suburbs that meet some of your requirements will be mentioned and you can ask more specific questions.

Oh yeah - at some point in the above someone will sarcastically suggest you are a rose tinted dreamer, and someone else will suggest you use the search feature as it has al been discussed before.

Not trying to give you a hard time - just trying to speed the thread along to the useful stuff - so - what are you after in a suburb?

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:06 am
ABCDiamond

Hello all,
Am a new girl! Hubby and I and our two girls of 5 & 6 are hopefully moving to Brisbane in November (if all goes to plan). We are both childrens nurses and have been offered sponsorship by The Mater Childrens Hospital.
Anyone know of any meets happening in the south of England in the coming months? Can anyone tell me which suburbs are the nice ones in Brisbane?
Robbo2.
How much commute time do you want from where you will be working ?

Do you want to live inland, ie: West of Brisbane, or closer to the water ?

Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:22 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: Brisbane bound

Hello all,
Robbo2.
G'day Robbo2, and welcome to BE.

Don't take any notice of the sarcasm above, it's not meant badly, I don't think.

There are lots of nice suburbs in Brisbane. I guess you'll want to be close to the Mater Hospital which puts you in a more established part of Brissie, though loads of diversity.

Here's a couple of links to get you started on your suburb search:

WhereIs
OurBrisbane

Have you visited Australia before? If so, where?

We have Brissie Girls Drinking Club evenings every now and then; keep an eye out for the threads and you'll get to know some of the regulars in Brisbane!

Best of luck with your application and move.

Cheers
PR (Chris)

Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:29 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by DagBoy
That is a bit like asking where is a good place to live in England or what is a good airline. Without a litle more information it is difficult to answer. here's what to do.

Tell us what you are looking for in a suburb (you know, the usual stuff - need to be 10 mins from city with great schools, no crime, by the beach and want a 5 bed house with pool for under $200000).

Sit back and wait to be ridiculed.

Then tell us which of these is most important - e.g. budget constraint, schools etc.

Sit back and wait to be told it is impossible.

Wait a while and eventually some suburbs that meet some of your requirements will be mentioned and you can ask more specific questions.

Oh yeah - at some point in the above someone will sarcastically suggest you are a rose tinted dreamer, and someone else will suggest you use the search feature as it has al been discussed before.

Not trying to give you a hard time - just trying to speed the thread along to the useful stuff - so - what are you after in a suburb?

Cheers,

DagBoy
LMFAO....you've been on here too long

Robbo2....Dagboy is just teasing [he's not a bad lad really ]

If you read between the lines then what Dagboy is saying is if you give us some more info re schools, jobs, price you'd want to pay for property, type of property and what's important to you in terms of commuting times and beach or shopping etc, then maybe we can help with your request. You just need to be more specific as this helps gauge your personal requirements

And....Dagboy's better half is the sensible one .....who will likely give you the right answer

Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz

And....Dagboy's better half is the sensible one .....who will likely give you the right answer
But he's absolutely right aswell, some people do reply with some of those comments

Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:31 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But he's absolutely right aswell, some people do reply with some of those comments
EXACTLY

....hence my statement re Dagboy being on here too long [meaning the forum]

Come to think about it....maybe we have too if we can see what he means

Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:26 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

EXACTLY

....hence my statement re Dagboy being on here too long [meaning the forum]

Come to think about it....maybe we have too if we can see what he means
Hi Robbo - you have just missed one meet we had in Weston Super Mare - i am sure we'll be having another soon though.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 10:30 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
Robbo2.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Myself and my wife Debs will be moving out to Brissy later this year.
She is also a nurse who will be working @ Greenslopes.

As regards suburbs. Thats a very difficult question to answer as people have varying tastes and requirements.
We are waiting until we're out there and then we can take our time and find somewhere that really suits our needs.

Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

What about Kelvin Grove. It is quite close to the city and priced okay. They are developing an inner city village there with lots of parkland or something. Only heard bits about it.

Any more details from locals?

Queenie

Hello all,
Robbo2.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

If you read between the lines then what Dagboy is saying is if you give us some more info re schools, jobs, price you'd want to pay for property, type of property and what's important to you in terms of commuting times and beach or shopping etc, then maybe we can help with your request. You just need to be more specific as this helps gauge your personal requirements

Ok, ok I suppose I asked for the sarcasm!
I'll try to be a bit more specific: Hubby is not bothered about travelling to and from The Mater, so if I am right in thinking there are good bus and train links, it wouldn't matter if we were a bit further out.
Ideally, we'd love a one level, brick built, 4 bed, modern house with a pool. We will be renting initially and can afford max of $320 per week.
Have two girls of primary school age and the hospital suggested Carindale, Coorparoo and Cannon Hill for schools. Can anyone comment on these?
Not bothered about having to travel to coast for beach. I understand there is a nice man made beach in the city somewhere.
Ideally would love to move in to an area where there are lots of families so that we and the kids can make friends quickly.
Hope you can help.
Cheers.
Robbo2.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Myself and my wife Debs will be moving out to Brissy later this year.
She is also a nurse who will be working @ Greenslopes.

As regards suburbs. Thats a very difficult question to answer as people have varying tastes and requirements.
We are waiting until we're out there and then we can take our time and find somewhere that really suits our needs.

Hi there!
Where's Greenslopes? Never heard of it! Where are you going to stay when you first get to Brisbane? Some of the meet n greet services sound wonderful.
Robbo2.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, ok I suppose I asked for the sarcasm!
I'll try to be a bit more specific: Hubby is not bothered about travelling to and from The Mater, so if I am right in thinking there are good bus and train links, it wouldn't matter if we were a bit further out.
Ideally, we'd love a one level, brick built, 4 bed, modern house with a pool. We will be renting initially and can afford max of $320 per week.
Have two girls of primary school age and the hospital suggested Carindale, Coorparoo and Cannon Hill for schools. Can anyone comment on these?
Not bothered about having to travel to coast for beach. I understand there is a nice man made beach in the city somewhere.
Ideally would love to move in to an area where there are lots of families so that we and the kids can make friends quickly.
Hope you can help.
Cheers.
Robbo2.
Just putting this back to the top so some of you might see it!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Paul2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Brisbane bound

[QUOTE=Robbo2]Ok, ok I suppose I asked for the sarcasm!

Hi,
There is a bus station right outside of the hospital across the road. And a private school behind (Somerville House). Fees per student is about A$8800 though.

The train station and the ferry terminal at South Bank is about 10 min walk away from Mater Hospital. It's a great location with public transport.

It's quite different if you are driving to the hospital in the peak hours as there are 2 schools behind Mater (Somerville and St. Lauren, I think), all sharing the narrow road into the area.

Good luck.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:32 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!
Where's Greenslopes? Never heard of it! Where are you going to stay when you first get to Brisbane? Some of the meet n greet services sound wonderful.
Robbo2.
Hi Robbo
Greenslopes is pretty much central Brisbane, just south of the river.
Its owned by Ramsey Healthcare. Have a look @ their web-site, it looks a fab hospital.

When we arrive we'll stay in a motel for a few weeks until we get sorted. I think the 1st thing to do will be to buy some wheels, so we can take in some of the suburbs and get a feel for the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.