Brisbane Bound

Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane Bound

Hello

Is anyone else planning on going to Brisbane? if yes what is the feeling about the Brighton area?

Ta

Jac
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:55 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Bound

Originally posted by jac16
Hello

Is anyone else planning on going to Brisbane? if yes what is the feeling about the Brighton area?

Ta

Jac
Yes we are but we have never been before so cant help!! sorry, my mate is in Kallangur and that is where we are heading!!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point

we are very easy to influence - What is Kalanuar? like
Old Jun 1st 2004, 7:15 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

who knows i've never been!! but as the aussies say no worries, i figure where ever we go it will be better than where we are now!!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Hello

Ta

Jac
We picked Brighton / Redcliffe area as a first choice but we went for a look round in December and were disapointed - we expected a beach and when we called it a beach the Aussies laughed at us. When you see it, you understand why they laugh.
We now plan to go slightly inland being within 30 minutes of what the Aussies call a beach and only 30 minutes from Brisbane.
Brighton itself seemed ok and it pops up regular in my rental searches with some reasonable looking places
Old Jun 1st 2004, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MarkandJulie
We picked Brighton / Redcliffe area as a first choice but we went for a look round in December and were disapointed - we expected a beach and when we called it a beach the Aussies laughed at us. When you see it, you understand why they laugh.
Which beach did you see ?
I thought that Suttons beach, Redcliffe/ Margate, was great for kids, although it isn't a surf beach, but it does depend on what you are wanting.

The problem with choosing an area, and getting opinions from others, is that we all seem to like/want different things.

For example, I love my area, but others would find it too quiet.

I know some people who love to live in the City, but it wouldn't be for me.

If you don't need a Beach, but want to be near the water, and want to be south of the river, then Manly area is worth looking at. If you don't mind being a bit further out, and happy to pay less, then my area is good.

There are so many nice areas .......

Maybe we need a Poll on areas in Brisbane, to see where the majority are happy?

Old Jun 1st 2004, 11:56 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Kallangur maybe?
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 12:07 am
ABCDiamond

http://www.maxlink.com.au/pinerivers/kallangur/

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Here's my personal opinion. I wouldn't make a very good tourist rep .. it's not to say you won't like these places.

Brighton has less facilities ( shops, restaurants, banks etc) than Redcliffe... but not that it matters, you can go to Redcliffe, or shorncliffe for that.
A lot of the houses in Brighton are crammed in especially closer to the sea front.They have a high amount of fibro and wood homes too.. sort of looks like a shanty town to me in some places. Haven't been through the area for a while.. about a year ago was the last time I drove through there, so don't know if there's any changes.

What has happened over the years is people used to have "biggish" plots but since land price has risen they have been sub divided their existing plots. I haven't checked the house prices recently (within the past few months), but for years they were always a tiny bit more expensive than the Redcliffe area for the same sort of house "like for like".. the reason for this is the Hornibrook bridge.. ie they are before the bridge.. unlike Redcliffe ( should explain .. the hornibrook is a bottleneck into the Redcliffe area.. recently it was named as one of the worst roads in Brisbane). The above areas were once upon a time mostly used for just holiday places for people in the city, and retirees. Today people have moved into the areas looking for property by the sea.. most places near the sea in the Brisbane area are crammed in ( crammed to me.. maybe it's not to others.. one man's crammed is another mans space.. ie a londoner maybe) , as there's hell of a lot of people who all want to live by the sea .... lack of land

You won't find a real beach in Brisbane.. if you want that, you'll have to go to the Gold or Sunshine coast.
Personally I dislike the Redcliffe area myself , too crammed in .. too many people for my liking ( and before anybody says any different; Redcliffe was named by it's own council a few years ago for having one of the least public areas per square in Brisbane .. recreation grounds next to the "beaches" do not cut it... I lived there until quite recently. Hoons and police, or maybe the police are hoons . It may suit some, but personally I thought the beaches were a joke as like all so-called beaches in Brisbane... But I'm very picky.

Kallangur (which is in the Pine shire council region) is not that far a distance from Redcliffe, it's about 15 minute drive, or just a few minutes from the Mango hill area. It's a small town with the usual stuff.. supermarkets, pub etc. A mix of modern and old houses like most little towns. There are a few new estates around that area, and also a lot of the older type fibro homes too. Not a lot to say on the area myself.. a town is a town.

Pine shire like the Redlands have not seen any drops, or level out in house market prices, they are still rising and according to "them" are still a good investment.In the Pine Quest paper last week it named Pine shire and Redlands the top two for this. I really should keep these news articles.

Southside.. Manly gets chocker on the summer weekends.. but again if you're looking for a chip shop /cafe walk the dog society Manly or Redcliffe may suit you. I can see these areas are probably good for young children.. but to be honest with you, they bore the pants off me.... not "wild" enough ( wild as in natural beauty)

Depends what you want. People see different things to the next person and want different things . beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... and all that jazz
Best advice I can give anybody .. go there for yourself, maybe rent for a year, or 6 months to see if the area suits you. What suits some may not suit others.Living in a place the only way you're going tell if it's personally for you. It's one thing "day tripping" to places, it's another thing actually living there. Nobody can tell you if it will be right for you and your family.

Good luck
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

NealMartin will become famous soon enough

Hello

Ta

Jac
Yep - we're off to Brisbane (hopefully) in August and are going to rent initially until we know the areas better - then we might buy depending on whether prices are still falling.

We will be trying to live fairly centrally - not into quiet suburbs where everyone drives to get anywhere.