Brisbane bound ?

Brisbane bound ?

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:49 am
PAB
Just Joined

PAB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane bound ?

Hi

Have been thinking about emigrating since turn of year. Have changed mind on numerous occasions, but have decided to visit for 3 weeks in October (Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne) to see for ourselves.

Wife is nurse so understand will help to speed up application. I work in Insurance (Broker), both in early 30's and yet to start family.

Would appreciate any info/experiences to help to convince us this is the right thing to do.

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I am sure as soon as you arrive there and see the beauty and opportunities oz can offer you you will both be hooked.

You are doing the right thing visiting first, at least it will give you a chance to check things out. Look at estate agents, cars jobs etc.

Wish I was going in October - good luck with it all.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 6:27 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane bound ?

Originally posted by PAB
Hi

Have been thinking about emigrating since turn of year. Have changed mind on numerous occasions, but have decided to visit for 3 weeks in October (Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne) to see for ourselves.

Wife is nurse so understand will help to speed up application. I work in Insurance (Broker), both in early 30's and yet to start family.

Would appreciate any info/experiences to help to convince us this is the right thing to do.

Thanks
Start the family - you won't regret it.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 8:45 pm
PAB
Just Joined

Originally posted by tinaj
I am sure as soon as you arrive there and see the beauty and opportunities oz can offer you you will both be hooked.

You are doing the right thing visiting first, at least it will give you a chance to check things out. Look at estate agents, cars jobs etc.

Wish I was going in October - good luck with it all.
Thanks for encouragement. Intend to spend 4 days in Brisbane and 7 days at Gold Coast. Will spend some of time looking at areas in between as potential places to move to. Not sure what we are basing this decision on, but seems a good area to start looking !!

Do you have any experience/info on these areas. House prices etc

PAB
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 9:04 pm
PAB
Just Joined

Default Re: Brisbane bound ?

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Start the family - you won't regret it.
Thanks for the encouragement. Think we will wait until we move. Still, practice makes perfect !!

PAB
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 9:54 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Treat your trip as a bit of a recce, not just a holiday...although you can of course do a bit of both

Have a look around the suburbs of the cities, not just the touristy bits. Check out the local estate agents, car showrooms etc. Buy aussie papers and have a look at jobs sections etc.

Are you driving or flying internal when you get there?
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice Pete - in a similar vein, shop in supermarkets, use the post office, travel on the buses - all the sort of thing you would do if you lived there. And certainly, stay away from tourist areas. Go to the normal shopping malls outside the CBD (city centre) and shop with the locals! If something confuses you, tell them you're from the UK and thinking of moving over - they'll soon explain how stuff works. Its the way I learnt about life in Oz, and it helped me make up my mind that I would like to live there.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:26 pm
PAB
Just Joined

Originally posted by PeteY
Treat your trip as a bit of a recce, not just a holiday...although you can of course do a bit of both

Have a look around the suburbs of the cities, not just the touristy bits. Check out the local estate agents, car showrooms etc. Buy aussie papers and have a look at jobs sections etc.

Are you driving or flying internal when you get there?
We are flying from Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne. Pretty set on between Brisbane centre and Gold coast. Although other than checking stuff out on the internet, nothing else to base this decision on !

We are staying in city centre for 4 days and then 7 at Gold Coast. Expect to carry out similar to your recommendations - thanks. Time spent at Sydney and Melbourne will be more touristy, unless we don't like Brisbane area.

Any areas you have any knowledge of/worth looking at when we go to Brisbane area ?

PAB
Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:32 pm
PAB
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pollyana
Good advice Pete - in a similar vein, shop in supermarkets, use the post office, travel on the buses - all the sort of thing you would do if you lived there. And certainly, stay away from tourist areas. Go to the normal shopping malls outside the CBD (city centre) and shop with the locals! If something confuses you, tell them you're from the UK and thinking of moving over - they'll soon explain how stuff works. Its the way I learnt about life in Oz, and it helped me make up my mind that I would like to live there.
Thanks for advice. Do you have any knowledge of Nurses salaries ? Have spent some time looking at jobs for me, but although appears to be plenty of nurses jobs (SRN), very little in the way of salaries noted. Seems a little worrying that most of the nurses my wife works with are Aussies who come over here to earn money !

PAB