Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane beaches

Brisbane beaches

Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane beaches

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I made the mistake of generalising and referring to the entire area as Surfers... oops
Nah you just knew which button to press and couldn't resist.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Nah you just knew which button to press and couldn't resist.
It seems I was wrong, to admit I was wrong, as I appear to be not wrong ....

Although... I may have been wrong at the time... when did I post that comment ?

Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

And possibly even more interesting in a thread called "Brisbane Beaches" we have started discussing the Gold Coast in detail! I think this would give a big clue to the OP!

Brisbane offers FANTASTIC beach opportunities for weekends. There's loads of great beaches within an hour - 90 mins drive. Bribie, Goldie, Sunshine coast, the Moreton bay islands, they would be great to take advantage of at the weekend. If your main requirement is to live within walking distance of a beach and an easy commute to the city though I would choose Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth over Brisbane.

BB
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

Aaaaargh. You could have told me that six months ago
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Well, you could choose the other cities over Brisbane, but then the water temperature makes it less enjoyable.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
And possibly even more interesting in a thread called "Brisbane Beaches" we have started discussing the Gold Coast in detail! I think this would give a big clue to the OP!

Brisbane offers FANTASTIC beach opportunities for weekends. There's loads of great beaches within an hour - 90 mins drive. Bribie, Goldie, Sunshine coast, the Moreton bay islands, they would be great to take advantage of at the weekend. If your main requirement is to live within walking distance of a beach and an easy commute to the city though I would choose Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth over Brisbane.

BB
Apart from Redcliffe and surrounding beaches, I agree Brisbane isn't a beach place....but you couldn't scratch Redcliffe off the list without removing Melbourne. Similar commute, less day light hours but far, far warmer than Melbourne.... for most people a beach just doesn't work as well in biting wind and freezing water
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's a big beach isn't it

18 km of beach...
...And real sand. It was lovely. Clean as well, no oil etc...
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

Why don't you look at living on the Gold Coast and commuting to Brisbane by train? We are in Robina - great schools, shopping and 10 minutes to beach. In Summer we take kids down to Burleigh after school - another option worth looking at.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sheilas Wheels
Why don't you look at living on the Gold Coast and commuting to Brisbane by train? We are in Robina - great schools, shopping and 10 minutes to beach. In Summer we take kids down to Burleigh after school - another option worth looking at.
How far is the commute? And how frequently do the trains run? Actually I am looking at the train lines now.

Here I commute for 1h45m each way and I wanted to avoid that.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wooah
How far is the commute? And how frequently do the trains run? Actually I am looking at the train lines now.

Here I commute for 1h45m each way and I wanted to avoid that.
http://www.translink.com.au/

Robina to Central is about 75 minutes.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 5:04 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

How many people realistically go to the beach often after work? The reality is you get busy with real life and tend to do a beach trip on the weekend. Or at least that's the way it was for us.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane beaches

Originally Posted by comet555
How many people realistically go to the beach often after work? The reality is you get busy with real life and tend to do a beach trip on the weekend. Or at least that's the way it was for us.
I go to the beach after work every day to walk the dog. One of the reasons we chose Melbourne was because we could afford to include this in our lifestyle here.

The other point that could be made here is that although Brisbane is warmer and sunnier in winter than Melbourne is, you do acclimatize wherever you are. Anyone swimming in the sea in SE QLD in winter is almost definitely a tourist, not someone who lives there.

We swim in the sea in Melbourne 6 months of the year - that's 6 more than I could in London!

BB
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:42 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

The other factor is cost. Ho many people can live walking distance to the beach in one of the major cities? I don't know the answer, but for someone looking to live close to the beach it's something they'd have to figure out for themselves.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:04 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Does it have to be Brisbane? I think Cairns would tick more of your boxes. Reasonably priced houses, walking distance to the beach & an easy 15mins commute to the CBD. Then again there is always those box jelly fish to consider!!
Cairns...Beaches... do you mean the Cairns in Qld?????

I would assume when someone says they want beaches they don't mean croc and jellyfish infested mudflats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.