Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane beaches

Brisbane beaches

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:32 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane beaches

Originally Posted by comet555
How many people realistically go to the beach often after work? The reality is you get busy with real life and tend to do a beach trip on the weekend. Or at least that's the way it was for us.
I agree - we live only a 5 minute drive from the beach but even in the summer rarely get there on a work day.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:32 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carbery
I agree - we live only a 5 minute drive from the beach but even in the summer rarely get there on a work day.
I suspect it might be different if you could just take a short walk to the beach. I could understand wandering down and taking the dog or kids for a walk.

Now, I like the beach... but packing up all your stuff, loading the car, going for a dip in the ocean and having to pack it up again, have a shower and get kids ready for bed is a lot of work! Particularly with little kids.

Most people I know, even the Aussies don't go to the beach that often unless of course they practically live right next to it. The reality is for most people though is that living walking distance to a beach (near a major city) is probably financially out of reach. So for us a short drive or a longer drive didn't really matter too much we still only went occasionally.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I suspect it might be different if you could just take a short walk to the beach. I could understand wandering down and taking the dog or kids for a walk.

Now, I like the beach... but packing up all your stuff, loading the car, going for a dip in the ocean and having to pack it up again, have a shower and get kids ready for bed is a lot of work! Particularly with little kids.

Most people I know, even the Aussies don't go to the beach that often unless of course they practically live right next to it. The reality is for most people though is that living walking distance to a beach (near a major city) is probably financially out of reach. So for us a short drive or a longer drive didn't really matter too much we still only went occasionally.
We do live close enough to walk, but rarely go down to the beach during the week. As Comet says, it's a lot of hassle, especially on school nights. I think not having daylight saving is a big issue and we did go to the beach more when WA had the 3 year trial. Otherwise, it's so much easier jumping in the pool, having a bbq, then doing the kid wrangle. The beach tends to be a weekend thing for us.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HelenTD
...then doing the kid wrangle.

Sounds painful.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

Looking at Redcliffe it is a possibility. Sounds like it is a proper beach and not a mud flat.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:52 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

I was gonna go to Melbourne once,but decided against it..too many wankers telling us how good it is...
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
I was gonna go to Melbourne once,but decided against it..too many wankers telling us how good it is...

I saw an episode of Wanted Down Under and that sealed it for me - NOT Melbourne.

It rained and was cold half the time, on camera.

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 5th 2010 at 10:19 am.