Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane beaches

Brisbane beaches

Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

aurantia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane beaches

I am thinking of moving to live in Brisbane in the Sandgate/ Brighton area.
Can anyone tell me what the beaches in that area are like and if there is any good swimming – I’ve heard Brisbane beaches can be rather muddy and the beach may disappear at high tide.
I’ve also heard the beaches in the Redcliffe area are a bit better than Sandgate – but Redcliffe hasn’t got a train station and I wondered how convenient the public transport links to the city centre were.
I’d be grateful for any feedback.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:30 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane beaches

Originally Posted by aurantia
I am thinking of moving to live in Brisbane in the Sandgate/ Brighton area.
Can anyone tell me what the beaches in that area are like and if there is any good swimming – I’ve heard Brisbane beaches can be rather muddy and the beach may disappear at high tide.
I’ve also heard the beaches in the Redcliffe area are a bit better than Sandgate – but Redcliffe hasn’t got a train station and I wondered how convenient the public transport links to the city centre were.
I’d be grateful for any feedback.
Beaches in Sandgate/Shorncliffe aren't bad, but not that good either. Definitely the best beaches that are the closest to Brisbane are in Redcliffe. If you are planning to live in Sandgate then you are right there are no trains to Redcliffe. However, there are regular buses from Sangate to Redcliffe, which generally take around 20-30 mins. Otherwise, from there your next closest beaches would be Bribie Island (which are really pretty) but that would be a bitch to get to on public transport, but very easy by car.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:35 am
ABCDiamond

Redcliffe is the better for the area.

This is a photo I took a while ago.

Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Redcliffe is the better for the area.

This is a photo I took a while ago.
http://www.abcdiamond.com/gallery/al...0Sept%2013.JPG
Ooh, that's where I landed after doing my skydive. Lovely beach
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:21 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well there is a good chance that if you were talking during your descent that I heard you. Every Sat and Sunday we can hear the skydivers as clear as day as they jump out of the plan. You can literally hear every word they say from our garden
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Bus goes from redcliffe, woody pt etc to brisbane or connect to train once over bridge.

Next year the Houghton Higway upgrade and bridge into brisvegas will become 6 lanes not 3.

If you have the cash to buy there before that bridge opens you would be laughing
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:38 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Beaches in Sandgate/Shorncliffe aren't bad, but not that good either. Definitely the best beaches that are the closest to Brisbane are in Redcliffe. If you are planning to live in Sandgate then you are right there are no trains to Redcliffe. However, there are regular buses from Sangate to Redcliffe, which generally take around 20-30 mins. Otherwise, from there your next closest beaches would be Bribie Island (which are really pretty) but that would be a bitch to get to on public transport, but very easy by car.
There's buses from Caboolture train station to Woorim on Bribie fairly regularly (well, hourly anyway )

From the look of the timetable, it connects with the train to Central station too (probably not much help for Sandgate though!)

Really difficult to read unless you print it out timetable

Piccy of Woorim.. it looks a bit grey on this but it's a lovely beach!

Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:35 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Every Sat and Sunday we can hear the skydivers as clear as day as they jump out of the plan. You can literally hear every word they say from our garden
I would just love to hear some of the things that people say whilst jumping from a plane. I can certainly imagine what would be coming out of my mouth at that moment!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I saw the sky-divers when we went to Redcliffe beach. It's on my list of things to do. Was it good fun?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I saw the sky-divers when we went to Redcliffe beach. It's on my list of things to do. Was it good fun?
It was superb. Greatest feeling ever Adrenaline is a funny thing though, affects people differently. I loved every second from driving to the airfield to landing but the second my feet touched the sand, I wanted to vomit, didn't and soon passed. Quite normal apparently. I still get a rush thinking about it and it was about 3 years ago now
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Sounds fantastic. I'm definitely going to give it a go.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Sounds fantastic. I'm definitely going to give it a go.
vomitting?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

There were some pics posted on here by one of the others, I'll see if I can find them.

Here. Post 41 onward.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 10:53 am. Reason: found pics
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

vomitting?
Aha, but Moneypenny didn't vomit, and neither shall I.

The photos are brilliant. Look at the colour of the sky!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:59 am
ABCDiamond

Look at the colour of the sky!
What's special about the sky ? ... Oh sorry, I forgot, I live here and see it every day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.