Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Bayside - who's coming here ?

Brisbane Bayside - who's coming here ?

Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:08 am
ABCDiamond

Default Brisbane Bayside - who's coming here ?

From what I have seen recently the bayside is becoming popular, so:

I'd like to find out who is planning on coming over to my neck of the woods, when they leave the UK, and also who is already here.

For those interested in statistics the Redlands part of the Bayside already has 9,300 UK born residents.
A total of 8.1% of the population.

Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:40 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're here....but then you know that due to us badgering you for advice
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Bayside - who's coming here ?

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
From what I have seen recently the bayside is becoming popular, so:

I'd like to find out who is planning on coming over to my neck of the woods, when they leave the UK, and also who is already here.

For those interested in statistics the Redlands part of the Bayside already has 9,300 UK born residents.
A total of 8.1% of the population.
Well I've lived happily in Sydney for many years and have no intention of moving BUT we are thinking of buying an investment property somewhere in bayside Brisbane. Were originally going for somewhere local, but prices are so high round here now that it's out of the question - plus the NSW government's latest plan means that we don't have a great incentive to buy in NSW.

I have a friend in Victoria Point and like that area a lot. Reading your posts promoting the area has also had something to do with it!

Would consider buying anywhere from there up to Manly. Anyone have any tips for the best suburbs to look in? Have 350k to spend and want somewhere low maintenance, as close to the water as possible with huge capital gain prospects - not too much to ask is it?!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mcmercer
We're here....but then you know that due to us badgering you for advice
LOL

the Redlands part of the Bayside NOW has 9,303 UK born residents.

Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

We will be there 1st July, staying with Happy koala homes in Capalaba
lucy
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by nickyc
Well I've lived happily in Sydney for many years and have no intention of moving BUT we are thinking of buying an investment property somewhere in bayside Brisbane. Were originally going for somewhere local, but prices are so high round here now that it's out of the question - plus the NSW government's latest plan means that we don't have a great incentive to buy in NSW.

I have a friend in Victoria Point and like that area a lot. Reading your posts promoting the area has also had something to do with it!

Would consider buying anywhere from there up to Manly. Anyone have any tips for the best suburbs to look in? Have 350k to spend and want somewhere low maintenance, as close to the water as possible with huge capital gain prospects - not too much to ask is it?!
Prices have gone up a lot here too, but yes, there are possibilities within that price.

Huge Capital gains ? Not sure about "Huge" but almost everyone reckons on a reasonable gain.

I agree with not buying an Investment property in NSW now, I want to sell one before July 1st, and re-invest up here myself.

Which suburb will be best ? Who can tell for sure ?

Do you need the rental income ? If not, then buy Land !

Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Prices have gone up a lot here too, but yes, there are possibilities within that price.

Huge Capital gains ? Not sure about "Huge" but almost everyone reckons on a reasonable gain.

I agree with not buying an Investment property in NSW now, I want to sell one before July 1st, and re-invest up here myself.

Which suburb will be best ? Who can tell for sure ?

Do you need the rental income ? If not, then buy Land !
Thanks ABC. We definitely need the rental income so land's not an option - thought it is pretty low maintenance so fits that criteria!

Looks like Redland Bay (the suburb) has some good buys close to the water - do you think there'd be a reasonable rental demand that far away from the city?
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by nickyc
Thanks ABC. We definitely need the rental income so land's not an option - thought it is pretty low maintenance so fits that criteria!

Looks like Redland Bay (the suburb) has some good buys close to the water - do you think there'd be a reasonable rental demand that far away from the city?
Redland Bay is only 3-4 minutes south of me, and it didn't take long for me to get tenants in my Vic Pt rental. It's within an hour of the City, so it should be feasible.
I'd suggest ringing the Rental agents and asking whats available to rent, pretend to be a renter. Get a feel for the real situation.

Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Redland Bay is only 3-4 minutes south of me, and it didn't take long for me to get tenants in my Vic Pt rental. It's within an hour of the City, so it should be feasible.
I'd suggest ringing the Rental agents and asking whats available to rent, pretend to be a renter. Get a feel for the real situation.
Excellent idea - thanks for the advice
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

RichnKim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ABC Diamond

Hoping to be in the Bayside area by theend of the year. Just waiting for police checks atthe Mo. In fact your posts have helped as choose the area.

So Thanks
Rgds

RichNKim
Old Apr 15th 2004, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping to be out that way first week of July.
The girls had their medicals today and our agent has
all our paperwork, so hopefully I'll be posting a GOT IT
fairly soon (I know its only a Temp 457 visa, but it will
still be a great moment).

Karen
Old Apr 15th 2004, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

helma is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ABC
we are also locating to the redland area in the first week in July 2004. At first we are staying with friends who live in Clevelands and then will hunt out a house to rent or buy. We will also look at land and consider self building because hubbie is a brickie. Are their many good plots still available or have most been snatched up. We were thinking of sending our 2 younger kids to Cleveland high but will look around. They are aged 12 and 13. Have you any views on Schools. Our eldest son will have just left school when we arrive and is keen to become a chef so we will have to have to hunt out what opportunities are availble for him.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Hales is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ABC Diamond

Hoping to retire to the Cleveland/Ormiston area sometime this year. House is on the market so as soon as that is sold we will be on our way. Think we will rent initially as holidaying in an area is very different to living there, must say we found the folks really friendly and liked the more laid back lifestyle.

Jackie
Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by karen p
Hoping to be out that way first week of July.
The girls had their medicals today and our agent has
all our paperwork, so hopefully I'll be posting a GOT IT
fairly soon (I know its only a Temp 457 visa, but it will
still be a great moment).
Karen
Karen
We will be watching out for your "Got It " post soon then
July isn't that far away !

helma
It looks like you will be arriving at the same time as Karen !
There are still blocks of land around but not cheap! There are about 40+ blocks about to be sold just behind us, i'm waiting to hear what the prices will be.
The only school I can really comment on is Sheldon College, a local private school that I feel is very good.

Jackie
Its a nice place to retire to
Renting is good at first, gives you chance to really look at the area and find the right spot.

RichnKim
Hope the police checks go OK for you
and I hope you really like the area when you get here, especially if I am to be held responsible if you don't

Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:34 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

We're hoping to settle VP area just as soon as the house is sold.....had absolutely no luck so far .....changing agents tomorrow tho so fingers crossed things will look up soon!

Petra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.