Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Originally Posted by RAG62
Hmmmmmmmm. What does the average Brissie do then in terms of taking advantage of the East Coast? Do they commute to the beaches on the Gold/Sunshie coast or what?

Rich
Depends on what type of beach.
We have small local beaches, sand and water for the little kids, but no waves, at various spots around the bay. Victoria Point, Cleveland, Wellington Point and Manly all have these small beaches. And of course there is the man made beach in the middle of Brisbane "SouthBank".

On the North side there is Redcliffe, with a larger beach, again no real waves, but good for kids. Brisbane isn't a surfing area But the surf is only an hour away if it's wanted.

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Well we just have our house to sell now and then we will be buying tickets, we hope to fly out in Aug-Sept, hopefully when the kids are on summer holidays.

Our point of arrival will be Victoria Point as my Aunt lives there and we will be staying there for a while until we find suitable rental accomadation. Also have family in Cleveland which is close by I believe.

Hope to meet all the Brissie bound folks sometime !

Phil
Cleveland is nice and handy for Victoria Point, only about 10 minutes drive away.
Looks like you will have plenty of local family. Did they move out here earlier, or do you have Australian connections ?

Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:22 am
Sharon

sharon ann is on a distinguished road

Hi ABC

We're heading for Brisbane April/May with our 4 kids in tow(17, 16, 6, & 4).

Our first point of call is The Gap as my sister is there. Not sure where we will settle yet, hubby likes Bracken Ridge, Albany Creek and Bald Hills areas at the mo. He says they have more space for your money and with 4 kids - 2 teenagers -space at home is an essential.

I don't want to move too far from Brisbane as feel our girls need city life (coming from Birmingham) would'nt be fair to live in the sticks.

Sharon
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Depends on what type of beach.
We have small local beaches, sand and water for the little kids, but no waves, at various spots around the bay. Victoria Point, Cleveland, Wellington Point and Manly all have these small beaches. And of course there is the man made beach in the middle of Brisbane "SouthBank".

On the North side there is Redcliffe, with a larger beach, again no real waves, but good for kids. Brisbane isn't a surfing area But the surf is only an hour away if it's wanted.

Thanks; trying to get a picture of what the average Brissie person does re getting the most out of living near the coast (or is it a case of "it's there but don't really use it"). We can't all afford to have a boat moored in the harbour, and wifey doesn't do a lot of fishin'!! We are not a surfing family - none of us have ever tried it - but just have the image of splashing around on the beach like one does on holidays!
Rich
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks; trying to get a picture of what the average Brissie person does re getting the most out of living near the coast (or is it a case of "it's there but don't really use it"). We can't all afford to have a boat moored in the harbour, and wifey doesn't do a lot of fishin'!! We are not a surfing family - none of us have ever tried it - but just have the image of splashing around on the beach like one does on holidays!
Rich
I think that your comment "it's there but don't really use it" will apply to many people.

However, lots of locals do have these small boats that they keep next to the house and tow down to the water ramps almost every weekend. (At least in my area)

I find the advantage of living by the coast, is the cooler weather in summer, and the fact that we can just nip down to the little beach if we want to. My daughter seems to be just as happy playing with friends in the swimming pools though. So much so, that we have now decided it's now time we got one of our own.

Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter seems to be just as happy playing with friends in the swimming pools though. So much so, that we have now decided it's now time we got one of our own.
Bloody hell ABC, where are you gonna put that?!?!?!? :scared:
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Count us in. Like the look of Wynnum but renting in Brisbane first. Maybe early 06.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:37 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

It's been a while since asking who else is heading this way, but I was asked on Sunday if I knew who was coming to the area this year, and I must admit that I don't know now.

I do know we have over a hundred members on the local area forum, many already here, but also many just looking at the area.

So, if you are thinking of this area, and haven't introduced yourselves yet, here's your opportunity

I consider the area to be Wynnum/Manly, Capalaba, down to Victoria Point, Redland Bay areas or anywhere close
ABCDiamond. Hoping to head for Cleveland area some time this year. Visa application just gone in, so now playing the waiting game. Got my wife, Mandy and 2 lads, 14 & 11 in tow. Any info on the area would be greatly appreciated.

neil
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:56 am
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

Hi ABCDiamond,
We're in the usual frustrating position. Have PR visa but waiting for house to sell. We are a family of 4 wanting to settle in the Redlands area, especially like the look of Cleveland.
Jo
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:37 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Rich
I grew up in Brisbane.. so know it rather well! (25yrs of living there)... We used to go to Stradbroke (Straddie) Island which is one of the islands off Moreton Bay for holidays each year.. lovely.. also Sunshine Coast isn't too far for a day trip. We also went to Byron Bay for day trips. before it all changed and became horribly trendy...
Old Mar 1st 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Smile Re: Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Hi ABC we are here now on our recci trip and Bayside is even better than we thought it would be, hoping to rent then buy when we arrive for good in June
Houses in Alex Hills seem cheaper though with more land for the money so looking there on Thursday would appreciate local info on the area is it ok
also please send karma and keep fingers crossed that they find a year 9 place for James at Ormiston we put his name down last week

ps came across our first Huntsman today trapped between the window and the screen a big hairy beast
better get the hypnotist booked for Jemma she would have had a heart atack if she had seen it :scared:

mary and stu (kids are home alone )
Old Mar 1st 2005, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marysidey
Hi ABC we are here now on our recci trip and Bayside is even better than we thought it would be, hoping to rent then buy when we arrive for good in June
Houses in Alex Hills seem cheaper though with more land for the money so looking there on Thursday would appreciate local info on the area is it ok
also please send karma and keep fingers crossed that they find a year 9 place for James at Ormiston we put his name down last week

ps came across our first Huntsman today trapped between the window and the screen a big hairy beast
better get the hypnotist booked for Jemma she would have had a heart atack if she had seen it :scared:

mary and stu (kids are home alone )
Hi Mary,
When you say you saw a Huntsman are you talking spiders or one of those hunky Aussie outback guys
Have sent you a PM.
Richard and Gill
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
I grew up in Brisbane.. so know it rather well! (25yrs of living there)... We used to go to Stradbroke (Straddie) Island which is one of the islands off Moreton Bay for holidays each year.. lovely.. also Sunshine Coast isn't too far for a day trip. We also went to Byron Bay for day trips. before it all changed and became horribly trendy...
Hi
Yeh it's the day trips that I was thinking of rather than hols away. Sounds like Gold coast is nearest for real beach stuff.

Rich
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:23 am
ABCDiamond

How about a 5 month update on this thread;
Those that have arrived, where did you end up ? and do you like it ?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Bayside is still on our rather long list not long now, we`re there on the 20th Aug 6 week stay on Main Beach and will have a good look around from there...cant wait!!

Sue x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.