Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hi
Hoping to rent in Wynnum Manly area. Arrive on Friday evening so will be out looking for houses asap.
I think where we live to some extent will depend on the rental properties available.
Eldest daughter would like to know how far it will be to go to a surfing beach.......she wants to learn to surf, that will be a laugh!!!!
Looking forward to meeting everyone....people have been so helful and friendly.
Amanda
Kiwi paul is right (Don't see you much on here these days )

Forget Brisbane if you want surf beaches really close by. Brisbane has no real beaches, and what little they do have it's so protected by the islands - no surf.

For surf you need to go either to the GC area or SC. The closest thing we have in Brisbane to beaches is Bribie island ( falls under caboolture council), they have some "real" beaches, but are hopeless for surf because it's protected.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 2:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Kiwi paul is right (Don't see you much on here these days )
The closest thing we have in Brisbane to beaches is Bribie island ( falls under caboolture council), they have some "real" beaches, but are hopeless for surf because it's protected.

Not sure there's much beach left at BRibie. Last time I went to Woorim beach a few weeks back it had disappeared! There was a 2m sandcliff in parts and the tide was tight up to the dunes
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's been a while since asking who else is heading this way, but I was asked on Sunday if I knew who was coming to the area this year, and I must admit that I don't know now.

I do know we have over a hundred members on the local area forum, many already here, but also many just looking at the area.

So, if you are thinking of this area, and haven't introduced yourselves yet, here's your opportunity

I consider the area to be Wynnum/Manly, Capalaba, down to Victoria Point, Redland Bay areas or anywhere close

We are certainly looking to move to Brisbane/surrounding areas as it seems to have everything we are looking for, reading people's comments on forums, etc.

Kari
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:03 am
Just Joined

RollingStone is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Hi ABC, Will be heading out to Brisbane in summer but are unsure of where to settle. We will be looking round a number of areas - we are looking properties on acreage near to good schools.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:38 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd opt for stradbroke island for beaches and surf, closer, and a pleasant ferry ride, rather than the drive down to the gold coast.

Bondi, no news on horrid child snatcher, one of the attempted abductions was apparently on the road where we live, a number of incidents that have been documented through the school safety house system round here dont seem to have made the press.It can happen anywhere, its really horrid on your doorstep.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:11 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

victoria point for us,well when mrs jonni boy gives me the all clear to put the house on the market,just got back a couple of weeks ago and must admit that all the areas around victoria or wellington point looked superb but we were warned that house prices are getting out of hand and it would be better to get over there sooner rather than later
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Hi
We are hoping to be in the Brisbane area this summer. Favourite at the moment is around the Cleveland area but going in with an open mind. I am doing a reccy trip end of March.

Keep the comments flowing - it all helps those of us that are on the otther side of the world.
Mcmercer: living on as island doesn't sound good news if you need to commute.
RAG
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Think we've responded before but we are headed over August/September time with two boys aged almost four and 15 months not sure where we are going to settle yet, going to see where things take us!! alothough like the look of Cleveland... really keen to meet with other people with little ones and to have some names of nurseries and pre-schools.. I know things work differently but the oldest is used to the pre-school environment and loves it.. also would like to know about any mother and toddler type groups as well, I haven't bothered much here but keen to get to know people and get a life asap on arriving!! Failing that keen to start an expats one... (from where ever I can.. own lounge!! nct style!)... maybe with a glass of wine rather than the usual cup of coffee!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jonni boy
victoria point for us,well when mrs jonni boy gives me the all clear to put the house on the market,just got back a couple of weeks ago and must admit that all the areas around victoria or wellington point looked superb but we were warned that house prices are getting out of hand and it would be better to get over there sooner rather than later
In most areas here prices have slowed down, and the talk about 2 possible 0.25% rate increases are holding the market steady, with some slight drops in some areas. So I don't feel that you need to panic about prices going up too much too soon.
An example of median house prices in Victoria Point is:
Sep-02 $220,000
Jun-03 $265,000
Jul-03 $268,000
Aug-03 $273,750
Dec-03 $303,500
Jan-04 $319,500
Feb-04 $329,000
Mar-04 $330,000
Apr-04 $339,500
May-04 $349,500
Jun-04 $354,875
Jul-04 $360,000
Aug-04 $364,000
Sep-04 $363,500
Oct-04 $365,000
Nov-04 $360,000
Dec-04 $359,247

A 63% increase over the last 2 years 3 months, or 22% per annum cumulative growth.

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:25 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

RAG[/QUOTE]

Didnt mean to live there, I meant to visit good beaches or to surf, living in this area, its my preference to go to Straddie for a beach day. If you want to live next to a fabulous beach dont come here.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mcmercer
RAG
Didnt mean to live there, I meant to visit good beaches or to surf, living in this area, its my preference to go to Straddie for a beach day. If you want to live next to a fabulous beach dont come here.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmmmm. What does the average Brissie do then in terms of taking advantage of the East Coast? Do they commute to the beaches on the Gold/Sunshie coast or what?

Rich
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:54 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RAG62
Didnt mean to live there, I meant to visit good beaches or to surf, living in this area, its my preference to go to Straddie for a beach day. If you want to live next to a fabulous beach dont come here.
Hmmmmmmmm. What does the average Brissie do then in terms of taking advantage of the East Coast? Do they commute to the beaches on the Gold/Sunshie coast or what?

Rich[/QUOTE]
Those that want the beach would typically go to SC or GC, depending on where they were and what they were after. I have not been to the beach at the GC for about 3 years - I find it vulgar and crowded and tasteless. If we want beach we would head up the coast to Double Island Point (weekend not a day trip). Or we would go over to Sth Straddie on the boat and cross the island to the surf side. Personally, I am not a great fan of going to the beach except to fish and we do that in the bay

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's been a while since asking who else is heading this way, but I was asked on Sunday if I knew who was coming to the area this year, and I must admit that I don't know now.

I do know we have over a hundred members on the local area forum, many already here, but also many just looking at the area.

So, if you are thinking of this area, and haven't introduced yourselves yet, here's your opportunity

I consider the area to be Wynnum/Manly, Capalaba, down to Victoria Point, Redland Bay areas or anywhere close
Well we just have our house to sell now and then we will be buying tickets, we hope to fly out in Aug-Sept, hopefully when the kids are on summer holidays.

Our point of arrival will be Victoria Point as my Aunt lives there and we will be staying there for a while until we find suitable rental accomadation. Also have family in Cleveland which is close by I believe.

Hope to meet all the Brissie bound folks sometime !

Phil
Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

lovey and wife is an unknown quantity at this point

ABC,
We will be arriving in Brisbane on the 1st May and are hoping to setle in the area, possibly Cleveland, depending on rental properties as it seems to be a better commute. We will be coming over on the 11th March also for about 5 days as I have a job interview that day! in Roma Street, and we are going to have a sniff about the area.
You gave me the link for BB alittle while ago now and we will make ourselves known there shortly now that we know what we are doing.
Lovey
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

tractor boy will become famous soon enoughtractor boy will become famous soon enough

we're arriving 23rd april and will be looking at the cleveland area as wife has school friend there. Need to get her settled with junior as soon as poss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.